Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Greg Wormald Greg Wormald is offline

Default Apple Airport Express question

I would like to extend the music from my Mac into the main stereo.
I am thinking of an Airport Express to match the Extreme by the computer
and streaming music to the DAC at the main stereo using the AirTunes
protocol and a short toslink cable.

But I have a question:
I also like to listen at the computer (different room, different stereo,
fed by an iMic system as the 'system audio'). What I want to know is:
Can I use both stereos simultaneously or do I have to choose one only?
And will they be synchronised?

Or would it be better to just run a splitter from the iMic and a
interconnect cable into both stereos?

Thanks for any help.

Greg

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Codifus Codifus is offline

On Feb 19, 10:23*am, Greg Wormald wrote:
I would like to extend the music from my Mac into the main stereo.
I am thinking of an Airport Express to match the Extreme by the computer
and streaming music to the DAC at the main stereo using the AirTunes
protocol and a short toslink cable.

But I have a question:
I also like to listen at the computer (different room, different stereo,
fed by an iMic system as the 'system audio'). What I want to know is:
Can I use both stereos simultaneously or do I have to choose one only?
And will they be synchronised?

Or would it be better to just run a splitter from the iMic and a
interconnect cable into both stereos?

Thanks for any help.

Greg

1. Get an Airport Express.
2. Make sure the firmware is updated to 6.3
3. Stream your music all over the place in a synchronous, individual,
or whatever manner.
4. Done

I have 2 airport expresses and have played music synchronously from
both. Each one is connected to a DAC as well. I havent synched it with
the system audio, though. I'll give that a try when I get home.

Oh, and by the way, all my AXes are wired. They only provide wireless
to my laptop but all the music comes through the wire.

One other thing....if you REALLY want to have fun with the airport
express, check out airfoil;

http://www.rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/

Airfoil lets you stream ANY audio on your computer to an airport
express. For example I use Airfoil to stream internet radio stations
that I can not find in iTunes.

CD

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
bob bob is offline

On Feb 19, 10:23*am, Greg Wormald wrote:

Can I use both stereos simultaneously or do I have to choose one only?
And will they be synchronised?

There's a program called Airfoil whose primary purpose is to allow you
to send sound from apps other than iTunes to your Airport Express. I'm
pretty sure it does allow you to play both locally and remotely.
However, I don't think the two are synchronized. I haven't used it in
a while, though, so check on this.

bob
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 08:53:35 -0800, codifus wrote
(in article ):

[...]

Spend a bit more and buy an Apple TV ($229) it frees your music collection
from your computer (meaning that the computer/iTunes doesn't have to be
running in order for you to access your music), and the Apple TV is so much
more versatile than the Airport Express. Your digital photos, rental and
purchased movies and TV shows, home videos, etc. are all available from that
box.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Greg Wormald Greg Wormald is offline

In article ,
Sonnova wrote:

Spend a bit more and buy an Apple TV ($229) it frees your music collection
from your computer (meaning that the computer/iTunes doesn't have to be
running in order for you to access your music), and the Apple TV is so much
more versatile than the Airport Express. Your digital photos, rental and
purchased movies and TV shows, home videos, etc. are all available from that
box.

The only hi-def tv I have is the screen on my 24" iMac--and I have a tv
tuner connected to that already. Honestly, since the upgrade from my old
G4, most of my tv watching is done from the computer chair--an Aeron!
And my computer is usually running when I'm home, so it would be no real
trouble to use iTunes to port music to the hi-fi. My iPhone serves as a
fine remote control of iTunes through my existing wireless network.

Given that Apple TV is almost 3 times the price of an airport express
here in Australia--what real advantage can you see for me? I've read the
Apple website stuff but it is mostly fluff.

Thanks,
Greg

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Codifus Codifus is offline

On Feb 19, 11:53*am, codifus wrote:
[...]

FYI I confirmed that the ax synchronises everything, including built
in audio. You should be able to get the newer wireless N version on
Ebay for about $70. The older wireless G version you can get for about
$50.00;

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories

CD

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[...]

Thanks for the airfoil info--it looks as though it will stream the
system sound to multiple areas and synchronise them all--and that's
enough to convince me to go wireless and use the high quality DAC in the
main stereo rather than depend on wires and the DAC in the iMic.

All that's left is to decide whether to go Apple TV or just an Airport
Express.

Greg
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 07:28:58 -0800, Greg Wormald wrote
(in article ):

In article ,
Sonnova wrote:

[...]

Don't know about what's available in Australia, but here in the USA, in any
given week I use mine to listen to my ripped music (Apple lossless) on my
main stereo system, view my thousands of digital photos in HD, rent movies
and TV shows and download them from the iTunes store, search for and watch
U-Tube videos on my big-screen HDTV monitor from the comfort of my living
room easy chair, etc.