Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Harry Lavo Harry Lavo is offline

Default FM stations boosting bass?

"Sonnova" wrote in message

snip

Anyway, I credit this excellent (for the era)
arm/cartridge combo for the good shape in which many of my older records
have traversed the years.

You are absolutely right. During the mid-sixties I installed a 10" Thorens
TT and an wooden, low-mass gimbaled ADC "Pritchard" arm combined with the
original ADC One or Model 25 (can't remember which came first as of now).
The damn thing tracked perfectly at 1.1grams. Records were wiped before
use. Later (early seventies) when Last came out I discovered it not only
made records sound much better, but also added to their longevity. So
virtually my entire collection post '65 can be played today with few clicks
or pops and very low "stickchen" distortion (one of the things Last seems to
do).

I know a lot of people don't go back that far, or couldn't afford the gear I
had back then. But...the "rules" for taking care of records were well known
and well publicized, and even without such quality equipment, people who did
so (like several musician friends that took my advice seriusly) have record
collections that are also in good shape. Accordingly, I get a bit impatient
with audiophiles who diss records as always being full of pops, clicks, and
noise. Careless handling, leaving records out of their jackets, setting
tracking forces too high (or too low) and not cleaning the records (with a
cloth or brush, no fancy machine) are to blame, not the medium itself.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] nabob33@hotmail.com is offline

On Feb 20, 1:13*pm, Iordani wrote:

3. A producer could choose to make a CD as both a CD version *and* an LP
version. *Just produce one perfect LP copy and transfer this to digital and
sell this CD as the (more expensive?) LP-version

Except that the vinylphile set would prefer to pay *even more* for an
actual LP that will suffer wear from its first playing.

bob

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 08:42:10 -0800, Arny Krueger wrote
(in article ):

"Sonnova" wrote in message

On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 11:27:01 -0800,
wrote (in article
):

On Feb 19, 10:23 am, Peter Wieck wrote:
I agree with you that *some* modern speakers are
designed to principles unknown 30 years ago.

An example, please?

I sure can't think of any. Electrostatics? No, they're
more than 30 years old. Maybe the sputtered metalized
Mylar used in their diaphragms - But that's materials
technology not speaker technology, per se. Planar
magnetics? No, again, this idea is more than 30 years old
(but only just). Horn speakers? Granted that modern horns
are a far cry from their ancestors, but, again, horns are
among the earliest of speaker technologies. Acoustic
suspension harks back to the late 1940's as does the
concept of mass-loaded ports. using carbon fiber and
Kevlar for cones is, again, materials technology and not
new speaker "principles". Ribbons go back to the dawn of
speaker development and the concept of "Time-Alignment"
or phase coherence in driver arrangement was patented by
E.M. Long in the early seventies, so that's more than 30
years old.

Can anybody else come up with truly "new" speaker
principles that were developed after 1979? I can't.

Mr. Pierce is a wily old critter who has had his fingers on the heart of
loudspeaker issues just about forever. His choice of 1979 is pretty
strategic, if he backed off a decade, there might be a chance. Maybe the
Heil Air Motion Transformer might fit if we went back to 1969, maybe not.
Maybe constant-directivity horns, maybe not.

While the principles haven't changed the application of materials surely
has. Your example of aluminized mylar doesn't wash because the real truth is
that the stuff that fell out of the sky in Roswell in the late 40s was made
out of aluminized mylar.

Actually, I said metalized Mylar, not aluminized. I was thinking specifically
of the thin "sputtered" metallic coatings found on the diaphragms of modern
electrostatic speakers. You know, the coatings so thin that one can still see
through the Mylar? That's a fairly recent (20 years?) innovation in material
technology and even though aluminized Mylar was a product of WWII and indeed
was used in the envelopes of the "Project Mogul" balloons (your Roswell
reference), it was certainly not used in electrostatic speakers (which could
easily be attested to by anyone who has ever seen an original Quad
electrostatic speaker or a KLH Model 9 taken apart.) until the vacuum
sputtering process was invented (which came from semiconductor
manufacturing).

The most important materials upgrades for speakers have been in the areas of
glues and varnishes and how to use them.

That and materials with a very high stiffness to mass ratio like Kevlar and
carbon fiber as well as laminated woods and ceramics

Heck, even treated paper can still be SOTA!

Yep.

Surprisingly enough, the newer stuff that seems high tech, like ceramics and
aerogels haven't done a lot for performance, at least not yet.

Hard to tell. Speakers with exotic materials technologies and manufacturing
methodologies tend to use those things as marketing points to justify a high
price tag. What I've found is that above a few thousand dollars a pair, there
seems not to be a strong correlation between price and performance. I've a
friend with a pair of Belgian speakers (Kharma CRMs) for which he paid more
than $60,000. Their claim to fame is that they use drivers that incorporate
ceramic in the midrange drivers and tweeters which are either impregnated
with, or covered with diamond dust (I dunno which). They sound fine. But they
certainly aren't any better than my Martin-Logans which are a hybrid
electrostatic/ paper cone system which cost less that 1/10th the price.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 08:28:32 -0800, wrote
(in article ):

On Feb 20, 6:02*am, Peter Wieck wrote:
On Feb 19, 2:27*pm, wrote:

On Feb 19, 10:23*am, Peter Wieck wrote:

I agree with you that *some* modern speakers are
designed to principles unknown 30 years ago.

An example, please?

Wooden diaphrams, for one thing.

1920's, thank you.

Shaved, plasticized, rigid wood.

Oh, please, these are hardly "principles." They are,
in most cases, the results of unguided hacking about,
looking for some miraculous "revolution." The fact
that this wort of quackery exists is no "revolution,"
it's merely existance proof that gullibility and
hucksterism is alive and well everywhere. Bernie
Madoff would have done quite well in the high-end
audio business

When the Japanese section of the AES became real
in the 1970's, there was a flood of articles on "revolutionary"
loudspeaker "principles." With rare exception, they were
all about new and miraculous materials and processes
used in the manufacture of loudspeaker diaphragms. Here
are just a few examples:

"High-Fidelity Loudspeakers with Boronized Titanium
Diaphragms"

"Tweeter use new structure and new material for
Diaphragm."

"Loudspeaker with Honeycomb Disk Diaphragm"

"Polymer-Graphite Composite Diaphragm"

"Reinforced Olefin Polymer Diaphragm"

"Glass-Fiber and Graphite-Flake Reinforced
Polyimide Composite Diaphragm for
Loudspeakers."

Two common attributes are shared by all these
articles: 1) They list MANY authors (an average
of 5 per article) and 2) none of these "revolutionary
principles" are in use in any product today.

Don't forget the "revolutionary" Yamaha Speakers from the 1970's which had
drivers shaped like - wait for it - Human ears! Now there's a "breakthrough"
for you!

Plastic diaphrams, for another.

KEF was selling them as part of their normal line
in the 1960's, among many others.

Yep.

Various sorts of planar speakers that
were only barely off the drawing boards 30+ years ago.

That'd be 1979. Magnapan had already been in
business several years at that point. There is an
entire chapter on what looks remarkably like modern
magnetic planar speakers in MacLaclan's
"Loudspeakers" in the 1960 reprint. I don't know if it
was in the original published in 1934.

Again, the big breakthrough that made Jim Winey's Magnapans possible was the
availability of 3M's (where Winey was an engineer) flexible "plastic'
magnets. Again, a materials technology.

The intent is unchanged, the processes getting
to it have evolved considerably, and the principles
behind those processes have also evolved
necessarily.

"Necessarily?"

I am not so sure if I believe that all that
evolution is 100% worthwhile.

Look, by "principles", we're not talking the fact
that Foster is now able to pawn off the same **** they
made 40 years ago as new "revolutionary" ****.
We're talking the work of people like Thiele, Small,
Benson, Vanderkooy and many other who have done
REAL work and REAL innovation.

Yet almost all REAL speaker improvements over the years has been
evolutionary, not revolutionary.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 08:42:13 -0800, Arny Krueger wrote
(in article ):

"Iordani" wrote in message

Sonnova wrote:

It sure doesn't make a lot of sense, though. Digital
should be perfect. Hell, digital IS perfect, but it
doesn't sound as much like music as does a good
LP. Don't ask me why........

And if you compare the LP with the same one transferred
to a digital media by yourself and without any
'enhancing'. How does that come out?

Some people are doing this experiement and posting the results on the web -
listen for yourself:

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...howtopic=69601

Sorry about the choice of turntables, but that's where the mainstream vinyl
market seems to be these days.

First of all, The 'table and choice of cartridge don't really instill in me
any confidence that enough of the LP's information is being gleaned from the
record to make a valid comparison. The rule of thumb has always seemed to be
that a CD sounds better than a cheap, mass market record player, but a
high-end turntable/arm/and cartridge combo can beat the pants off of a CD.
This setup is a cheap, mass market record player. If there is a significant
(or even noticeable) difference between an LP of a performance and a CD of
the same performance, that setup isn't going to reveal it. Secondly, the
music used is rock-and-roll. While I don't belittle the artists or the
performances themselves, I certainly question their usefulness for this test.
I would have thought that classical or other acoustic music, played in a real
space would have been better. I certainly can tell nothing from the sample
presented.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] dpierce.cartchunk.org@gmail.com is offline

On Feb 20, 7:58*pm, Sonnova wrote:

Actually, I said metalized Mylar, not aluminized. I
was thinking specifically of the thin "sputtered"
metallic coatings found on the diaphragms of modern
electrostatic speakers. You know, the coatings so
thin that one can still see through the Mylar?
That's a fairly recent (20 years?) innovation in material
technology and even though aluminized Mylar was a
product of WWII , it was certainly not used in
electrostatic speakers (which could easily be attested
to by anyone who has ever seen an original Quad
electrostatic speaker or a KLH Model 9 taken apart.)
until the vacuum sputtering process was invented
(which came from semiconductor manufacturing). *

One thing this post and this thread in general clearly
highlights is my long-term assertion that the high-end
audio industry is SO insular and SO out-of-touch with
twhat's going on in the rest of the world.

Nearly every assertion in the above quote is wrong.
Take just one example: that the deposition of thin
metal films by sputtering is a fairly recent invention
of the semiconductor industry.

Well, sorry, but it's not. I am sitting here looking
at my copy of John Strong's "Procedures in
Experimental Physics," which has an entire chapter
on the topic (chapter IV: Coating of Surfaces:
Evaporation and Sputtering). This chapter does not
concern itself with some theoretical considerations
but in fact tells the practitioner how to do it.

And the date of this book? Try 1938, a good quarter
century BEFORE the semiconductor industry got
rolling. (and I have a "late" copy from the 15th
printing in April of 1949). So it would seem that
it was maybe a mature process by then, as
evidenced by the fact that reference is made to
W. R. Grove's article describing the sputtering
process as published in an 1852 article in
Philosophical Transactions. Further references
can be found in Compton et al (Rev Modern
Physics, 1930), Fruth (Physics 1932) and Mierdel
(Handb. der Exp Physik, 1929).

As a side note, Strong and any number of other
authors consistently relate how aluminum is
among the WORST metals for sputtering.

That and materials with a very high stiffness to
mass ratio like Kevlar and carbon fiber as well
as laminated woods and ceramics

Again, you're way out of touch not only with the
time frame, but with the actual physical reality.
Let's note that the B&W 6 used Kevlar midranges
of their own manufacture, and that was 1975.

Let's also not that Kevlar is NOT very stiff: it has
a relatively high tensile strength, but a very low
stiffness.

And let's further note that the laminated wood
codes have a raft of extremely poor properties
for loudspeakers and, despite the wild claims
of their makers and proponents, show no
evidence of any remarkable degree of mechanical
stiffness.

Heck, even treated paper can still be SOTA!

Only in an industry as naive and out-of-touch as
high-end audio.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 09:05:18 -0800, wrote
(in article ):

[...]

I didn't say that the process was new, per se. I said that it was a
material;s technology that was NEW to speakers in the last 20 years or so as
neither Quad (who used some conductive goop to make their diaphragms
conductive) or KLH used sputtered metal diaphragms on their electrostatic
speakers. A material or process might be decades old in one industry, yet
still be "new" and innovative when adopted for another industry.

[...]

Maybe so. But I was in the semiconductor industry for years and the first
time I saw equipment that allowed vacuum sputtering was in the mid seventies
when the company for which I then worked bought one for their advanced
fabrication lab. Perhaps the process was decades old, but that begs the
question, where was it being used? The aluminized Mylar use in balloon skins
and thermal blankets in WWII and after was not vacuum sputtered but was
rather a coating procedure AFAIK.

As a side note, Strong and any number of other
authors consistently relate how aluminum is
among the WORST metals for sputtering.

Possibly, but, again, I don't recall that aluminized Mylar was a product of
vacuum sputtering. An episode of "How it's Made" on the Science channel,
showed a huge roll of Mylar film being passed under nozzles which sprayed a
metalized coating onto the film. I believe that they were showing how those
thermal survival blankets were made.

That and materials with a very high stiffness to
mass ratio like Kevlar and carbon fiber as well
as laminated woods and ceramics

Again, you're way out of touch not only with the
time frame, but with the actual physical reality.
Let's note that the B&W 6 used Kevlar midranges
of their own manufacture, and that was 1975.

Fine. I never put a date on the use of kevlar for drivers. I merely used it
as an example of materials technology as applied to speakers

Let's also not that Kevlar is NOT very stiff: it has
a relatively high tensile strength, but a very low
stiffness.

It would be the way speaker manufacturers use it, would it not? I.e. with a
resin to make a composite material. You know sort of like fiberglass? Every
kevlar cone I've touched has been hard, not soft like the cloth itself.

And let's further note that the laminated wood
codes have a raft of extremely poor properties
for loudspeakers and, despite the wild claims
of their makers and proponents, show no
evidence of any remarkable degree of mechanical
stiffness.

Again, I made no claims for wood other than to point it out as an alternative
material example to paper.

Heck, even treated paper can still be SOTA!

Only in an industry as naive and out-of-touch as
high-end audio.

I did not mention paper. This comment was added by another poster.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Peter Irwin Peter Irwin is offline

Sonnova wrote:

Maybe so. But I was in the semiconductor industry for years and the first
time I saw equipment that allowed vacuum sputtering was in the mid seventies
when the company for which I then worked bought one for their advanced
fabrication lab. Perhaps the process was decades old, but that begs the
question, where was it being used? The aluminized Mylar use in balloon skins
and thermal blankets in WWII and after was not vacuum sputtered but was
rather a coating procedure AFAIK.

The first audio use I'm aware of was the gold sputtering process
to make wax records conductive so that they could produce copper
matrices by electroplating. That was around 100 years ago.

Peter.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 18:02:57 -0800, Peter Irwin wrote
(in article ):

Sonnova wrote:

Maybe so. But I was in the semiconductor industry for years and the first
time I saw equipment that allowed vacuum sputtering was in the mid
seventies
when the company for which I then worked bought one for their advanced
fabrication lab. Perhaps the process was decades old, but that begs the
question, where was it being used? The aluminized Mylar use in balloon
skins
and thermal blankets in WWII and after was not vacuum sputtered but was
rather a coating procedure AFAIK.

The first audio use I'm aware of was the gold sputtering process
to make wax records conductive so that they could produce copper
matrices by electroplating. That was around 100 years ago.

Peter.

Sorry. That's a plating process not a sputtering process.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

wrote:
[...]

Futhermore, scanning electron microscopy has been
'commercialized' since the mid 1960s, and
that requires metal sputter coating of biological
samples. Even a grad student could do it!

--
-S
We have it in our power to begin the world over again - Thomas Paine

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Sonnova wrote:

Maybe so. But I was in the semiconductor industry for
years and the first time I saw equipment that allowed
vacuum sputtering was in the mid seventies
when the company for which I then worked bought one for
their advanced fabrication lab. Perhaps the process was
decades old, but that begs the question, where was it
being used? The aluminized Mylar use in balloon skins
and thermal blankets in WWII and after was not vacuum
sputtered but was rather a coating procedure AFAIK.

Sputtering is a subset of the set called "coating procedures". However, a
literature search shows that two different technques have been used for
coating mylar with metal. The older methodology involved evaporation of
metal in a vacuum by means of electrical heating of the metal. Sputtering is
the newer, faster methodology that differs in the means that is used to
evaporate the metal.

The point is that both methods produce products that are very similar in
terms of substrate, coating, and thickness of the coating. Sputtering is
merely faster and therefore less expensive. It is a more economical
production technique that facilitates the use of a certain material for
producing cost-sensitive commodity products like bags for storing food.

A high end audio product such as electrostatic speakers could be produced
using either means. Therefore, the use of sputtering is not a technological
advance related to speakers, but merely a cost-cutting technique for making
a commodity material that may be used for building certain kinds of
loudpseakers.

The first audio use I'm aware of was the gold sputtering
process to make wax records conductive so that they
could produce copper matrices by electroplating. That
was around 100 years ago.

Agreed. This process is specifically mentioned on this detailed timeline of
the history of metal coating methodologies:

http://www.svc.org/HistoryofVacuumCo...ating.cfm#1600

Sorry. That's a plating process not a sputtering process.

The reference says

"1902 Patent for sputter deposition of seed-layer of gold on phonograph
cylinders (Edison)"

A conductive substrate facilitiates plating. The 1902 Edison patent
specifically mentions using sputtering to add a conductive substrate of gold
for that purpose.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Sonnova wrote:

Maybe so. But I was in the semiconductor industry for years and the first
time I saw equipment that allowed vacuum sputtering was in the mid
seventies
when the company for which I then worked bought one for their advanced
fabrication lab. Perhaps the process was decades old, but that begs the
question, where was it being used? The aluminized Mylar use in balloon
skins
and thermal blankets in WWII and after was not vacuum sputtered but was
rather a coating procedure AFAIK.

The first audio use I'm aware of was the gold sputtering process
to make wax records conductive so that they could produce copper
matrices by electroplating. That was around 100 years ago.

Peter.

Sorry. That's a plating process not a sputtering process.

They're all plating processes. You have electroplating,
you have chemical reduction plating, you have vacuum
vapor plating, and so on.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

On Feb 21, 4:12*pm, Sonnova wrote:
[...]

Actually, your sentence is:

"You know, the coatings so thin that one can
still see through the Mylar? That's a fairly recent
(20 years?) innovation in material technology.

Before it was applied to Quad and others.

And, oh by the way, their diaphragms were not
sputtered: they were essentially applied by hand.

So it would seem that
it was maybe a mature process by then, as
evidenced by the fact that reference is made to
W. R. Grove's article describing the sputtering
process as published in an 1852 article in
Philosophical Transactions. Further references
can be found in Compton et al (Rev Modern
Physics, 1930), Fruth (Physics 1932) and Mierdel
(Handb. der Exp Physik, 1929).

Maybe so. But I was in the semiconductor industry
for years and the first time I saw equipment that
allowed vacuum sputtering was in the mid seventies
when the company for which I then worked bought
one for their advanced fabrication lab.
Perhaps the process was decades old, but that begs
the question, where was it being used?

Well, it WAS used long before YOU encountered it,
and it was used in the semiconductor industry, by
the way.

I should also note that my father held a patent first
issued in the late 1940's on a sputtering process
used in the semiconductor industry.

The fact that YOU were unaware of it is not my fault.
But the processes most surely existed well prior to
their use in the high-end audio industry, AND
substantially prior, it seems to your becoming aware
of it.

The aluminized Mylar use in balloon skins
and thermal blankets in WWII and after was
not vacuum sputtered but was
rather a coating procedure AFAIK.

It also should be noted that your use of the term
"vacuum sputtering" is a self-condradiction, as
spttering can not occur in a vacuum, rather it
only occurs in the presence of an ionizing glow
discharge, usually in some non-oxidizing gas.
Pulling a vacumm, in fact STOPS the sputtering
process dead.

There is a completely different process called
vacuum vapor deposition which is what's used
for such esoteric and out-of-the-ordinary processes
such as high-precision reflecting surfaces, aluminized
mylar and, uhm, compact disks and DVD's. Completely
different process than sputtering in that it does require
a high vacuum, and where the metal to be deposited
has to be heated to its boiling point.

* *As a side note, Strong and any number of other
* *authors consistently relate how aluminum is
* *among the WORST metals for sputtering.

Possibly, but, again, I don't recall that aluminized
Mylar was a product of vacuum sputtering.

Now, it's typically made by vacuum vapor deposition.

An episode of "How it's Made" on the Science
channel, showed a huge roll of Mylar film being
passed under nozzles which sprayed a
metalized coating onto the film.

There are, I am sure you are aware, better sources
than "How it's made."

That and materials with a very high stiffness to
mass ratio like Kevlar and carbon fiber as well
as laminated woods and ceramics

Again, you're way out of touch not only with the
time frame, but with the actual physical reality.
Let's note that the B&W 6 used Kevlar midranges
of their own manufacture, and that was 1975.

And let's further note that the laminated wood
codes have a raft of extremely poor properties
for loudspeakers and, despite the wild claims
of their makers and proponents, show no
evidence of any remarkable degree of mechanical
stiffness.

Again, I made no claims for wood other than to
point it out as an alternative material example to paper.

Please explain, then how one should parse your
sentence:

"That and materials with a very high stiffness to
mass ratio like Kevlar and carbon fiber as well
as laminated woods and ceramics

to mean something other than lumping "laminated
woods" in the category of "materials with very high
stiffness to mass ratio."

Heck, even treated paper can still be SOTA!

Only in an industry as naive and out-of-touch as
high-end audio.

I did not mention paper.

Never claimed you did. Did you read the sentence
I began my post with:

"One thing this post and this thread in general
clearly highlights is my long-term assertion that
the high-end audio industry is SO insular and SO
out-of-touch with what's going on in the rest of the
world."

Especially the part about:

"this thread in general."

This comment was added by another poster.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 13:22:33 -0800, Arny Krueger wrote
(in article ):

Sonnova wrote:

[...]

Sputtering is more precise and allows for the atoms-thick, transparent
metalization that characterizes modern electrostatics like Martin-Logans,
Innesounds, Sound Labs, etc. It is this process which finally tamed the
electrostatic speaker diaphragm's tendency to have the HV charge migrate to
to it's high point when distended and has virtually eliminated arcing in
modern designs (according to Gale Saunders of M-L, anyway).

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 11:32:33 -0800, Steven Sullivan wrote
(in article ):

wrote:
[...]

The patent for vacuum sputtering as applied to semiconductor was filed by
Rosvold C. Warren of the Signetics corporation in Sunnyvale CA., on March 10,
1975.

But all of this is counting angels on the heads of pins and has no relation
to the assertion that vacuum sputtering as applied to electrostatic
loudspeakers is a fairly new application of the technology that has occurred
in the last 20-25 years.

Boosting treble with Audacity CJB Tech 16 October 19th 07 02:57 PM
Boosting treble with Audacity CJB Pro Audio 9 October 16th 07 06:40 PM
Boosting low-level audio P Tech 9 February 22nd 06 04:36 AM
how much we could allow boosting or normalizing audio in DAW? bj Pro Audio 4 February 10th 05 05:33 PM
boosting amplifier output ludovic mirabel Tech 12 November 24th 04 05:54 PM