Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default Steam Clean LPs?

Can anybody here report on any of their experiences with using the new
generation of small, household steam cleaners on LPs?

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] dpierce.cartchunk.org@gmail.com is offline

On Feb 23, 10:34*am, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
Can anybody here report on any of their experiences
with using the new generation of small, household
steam cleaners on LPs?

Before or after the label falls off?

The very best cleaning method I ever found for LPs
was to adapt an industrial ultrasonic cleaner using
a solution of distilled water, isopropynol and a
surfactant (Dreft used to be the item of choice here,
leaving no residue behind).

It would recover records that sounded like sandpaper
and make them almost pristine, IF you followed a
VERY prolonged sequence of wash and rinse (the
rinses are among the most critical step).

The process was wonderful to watch: you'd immerse
the record in the solution and turn on the transducer
and immediately the surface of the record would turn
gray from bazillions of tiny cavitation bubbles that would
form. After a couple of seconds, you turn it off and pull
the record out and start a rinse cycle with alchohol
and distilled water (several times). Meanwhile, the
water in the ultrsonic cleaner would have a scum of
all sorts of crap floating on it.

It would take about 15-20 minutes per record to
finish the job, but it was worth it: records that were
unlistenably dirty became quite clean and usable,
better than any of the dedicated LP cleaning machines.

I had thought at the time (1970's) of actually introducing
a version as a product for recovering LPs, but it would
have ended up being way expensive (a couple of kbucks
and at the time, the audio business was beginning to
get intolerably weird and nutso with the ascendancy
of the likes of Absolute Sound and other such
nonsense rags. Concentrating more on real engineering
of loudspeakers and other did manage to not only pay
a bunch better but isolated me from the silly high-end
pathologies.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Harry Lavo Harry Lavo is offline

wrote in message
[...]

Sounds like a good approach for dirty records. I understand you wanting to
avoid the kook fringe, but as people are spending lots of dollars for record
cleaning machines anyway, you might've had a real good business.

Not for dirty records, but if you want to keep decent records in good shape,
a cleaning with Last Record Cleaner followed by an application of Last
Record Preservative really does the trick. I've been doing new records this
way since the early '70's when last first came out, and it really does work.
Records don't wear nearly as much, and sound is improved via reduced grit
and distortion, as you note from the above washing.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

On Feb 23, 12:43*pm, Steven Sullivan wrote:
wrote:
[...]

This was full immersion, or did you keep the label dry?

As it turns out, the particular cleaner I was using would
allow to only immerse about 4 1/2" of the record in the
solution. This allowed me to suspend the LP on a
pivot through its center, and then rotate the LP
through the solution while the transducer was running.
A couple of passes through was almost always
sufficient to bust most everything loose.

The inspiration for building this contraption was
that one day I was cleaning off the dustcover
and noiced a slightly yellow-brown residue in the
paper towels I was using. I had a roommate at
the time who was a smoker, and I found myself
cleaning cigarette smoke and tar off damned near
anything. And it seems like LPs have a voracious
appetite for the crap. Normally, I took very good
care of my LPs, but this stuff was nasty once it got
on the surface: it was like, well, sticky tar.

Needless to say, for that and other reasons (like
my optical equipment and my lungs), that was
the last time I ever lived in a place where there was
an active smoker.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 07:34:08 -0800, Arny Krueger wrote
(in article ):

Can anybody here report on any of their experiences with using the new
generation of small, household steam cleaners on LPs?

No, but I certainly wouldn't use steam on thermoplastics. The heat will
almost surely warp the record. OTOH, ultrasonic cleaners work well on LPs
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 09:43:52 -0800, Steven Sullivan wrote
(in article ):

wrote:
[...]

__
-- -S We have it in our power to begin the world over again - Thomas Paine

It's best to keep the label dry. Some aren't harmed by the process but others
swell-up when wet and get "wooly" as they dry. The labels are never the same
after that.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"Sonnova" wrote in message

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 07:34:08 -0800, Arny Krueger wrote
(in article ):

Can anybody here report on any of their experiences with
using the new generation of small, household steam
cleaners on LPs?

No, but I certainly wouldn't use steam on thermoplastics.

Interesting anecdotal comment:

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/vin...72/723285.html

"For a couple of years, I have seen reports here about steam cleaning your
vinyl. I had to try. So, I took a record I had already cleaned on a record
cleaning machine and steam cleaned it. I used a Perfection model that I
bought at Walgreen. I wiped the record dry with a microfiber cloth, in the
direction of the grooves. Then, I vacuumed the record off. I had very
positive results. I had records that sounded like playing fine grained sand
paper, even after multiple cleanings on a machine. I had given up. I had
nothing to lose, so I steamed them. All of them came out sounding brilliant.
I also have records that I thought were just worn out. There were places
that just did not seem trackable any longer. The steam cleaning took these
places away. The steaming allowed me to hear so much more detail than ever
before. In any case, I am a convert and just thought I would share. "

The heat will almost surely warp the record.

Other posts say that this doesn't happen if you hold the nozzle an inch or
more from the LP.

OTOH, ultrasonic cleaners work well on LPs

Yes, we've got a local comment attesting to that.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 14:09:08 -0800, Arny Krueger wrote
(in article ):

"Sonnova" wrote in message

[...]

Well, I'm somewhat flummoxed by that. I would have thought that the danger of
warping the records was high given the temperature of the steam coupled with
the localized heating from the steam cloud. That's the reason why I've never
tried it.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"Sonnova" wrote in message

[...]

It seems like a good thing to try on some old trashy disc from the thrift
store that you bought by accident and already have a better copy of. ;-)

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 08:06:58 -0800, Arny Krueger wrote
(in article ):

"Sonnova" wrote in message

[...]

Yes, I suppose, in light of what you've posted, it is probably worth a try.