rothman

Default Amplifier question - very basic

Hi,

I wish to connect two power amps together. Do I use parallel on both amps
and control volume on the bottom amp?

Thanks.

Scott Dorsey

rothman wrote:

I wish to connect two power amps together. Do I use parallel on both amps
and control volume on the bottom amp?

In general, paralleling modern transistor amps is a good way to start a fire.

You can bridge some amplifiers, but not all. Bridging gives you twice the
voltage output, but no more current, so if your goal is to drive lower Z
loads, it won't help. But if you need to sink more power into an eight-ohm
load with amps that can drive four ohms, bridging is the way to go.

What are you trying to do?

rothman

Thank you Scott...I was worried about starting a fire.

I want to get more power to two 12" speakers with an 8 Ohm load. My amps put
out best at 4 Ohms. It's for rehearsal and the 200 watts stereo from a 4 Ohm
amp to 8 Ohm speakers is not loud enough to do vocals over all our noise.

So use parallel?

Doug

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
rothman wrote:

I wish to connect two power amps together. Do I use parallel on both amps
and control volume on the bottom amp?

In general, paralleling modern transistor amps is a good way to start a

fire.

You can bridge some amplifiers, but not all. Bridging gives you twice the
voltage output, but no more current, so if your goal is to drive lower Z
loads, it won't help. But if you need to sink more power into an

eight-ohm
load with amps that can drive four ohms, bridging is the way to go.

What are you trying to do?

Scott Dorsey

rothman wrote:
Thank you Scott...I was worried about starting a fire.

I want to get more power to two 12" speakers with an 8 Ohm load. My amps put
out best at 4 Ohms. It's for rehearsal and the 200 watts stereo from a 4 Ohm
amp to 8 Ohm speakers is not loud enough to do vocals over all our noise.

So use parallel?

No, you cannot parallel modern amps, as I said.

You can bridge them, if the amplifiers are capable of bridging. That gives
you considerably more power.

Rob Reedijk

Scott Dorsey wrote:
rothman wrote:
Thank you Scott...I was worried about starting a fire.

I want to get more power to two 12" speakers with an 8 Ohm load. My amps put
out best at 4 Ohms. It's for rehearsal and the 200 watts stereo from a 4 Ohm
amp to 8 Ohm speakers is not loud enough to do vocals over all our noise.

So use parallel?

No, you cannot parallel modern amps, as I said.

You can bridge them, if the amplifiers are capable of bridging. That gives
you considerably more power.

To the original poster: I think what Scott is suggesting is that you can
take your 2 amps, which are probably stereo, run each one in bridged mode,
each one driving a single speaker. But only if the amps are capable of
being bridged.

Bridging a stereo amp renders it as a mono amp but driving about twice
as much power. But in can only be done on certain amps. Some amps
provide a bridge switch on them, and then you use the two red outputs
to drive one speaker.

Rob R.

anthony.gosnell

"rothman" wrote
Thank you Scott...I was worried about starting a fire.

I want to get more power to two 12" speakers with an 8 Ohm load. My amps

put
out best at 4 Ohms. It's for rehearsal and the 200 watts stereo from a 4

Ohm
amp to 8 Ohm speakers is not loud enough to do vocals over all our noise.

So use parallel?

The first thing I would experiment is with the placement of all of your
speakers. (Including those on guitar amps etc.)

A speaker on a guitar amp can be heard much more clearly when it is
reasonably close to and pointing at your ear. There are stands which are
made to elevate and tilt combo's but you can also use chairs and tables etc.
or just lean the amp back against a wall.

Now that everyone has their amp pointed in the right direction you will find
that the amplifiers can all be turned down a few notches and everyone can
hear a lot better. Please remember this when performing live too.

Oh and if your 12" speakers are still too soft you can add another pair in
parrallel or powered by a seperate amp.
You might also think about arranging your music so that their is some space
for the vocals.

--
Anthony Gosnell

to reply remove nospam.

rothman

Thank You, Thank You......Rob, that was very helpful information. So..Switch
to bridged mono on each amp....feed each amp a different signal....and
connect a single speaker to each amp using both positive terminals on each
amp. Is this my understanding?

Then how do they connect all those multiple amps on say a stadium tour?

just curious.

Doug

"Rob Reedijk" wrote in message
Scott Dorsey wrote:
rothman wrote:
[...]

rothman

anthony wrote:

Oh and if your 12" speakers are still too soft you can add another pair in
parallel or powered by a separate amp.

That is another question. My speakers do have an extra jack that it says is
wired in parallel. Can you simply daisy chain speakers without adding
resistance on one amp? Is this a fire hazard too? They are 8 Ohm speakers.
Thanks

Doug

"anthony.gosnell" wrote in message
"rothman" wrote
[...]

Arny Krueger

"rothman" wrote in message

Thank You, Thank You......Rob, that was very helpful information.
So..Switch to bridged mono on each amp....feed each amp a different
signal....and connect a single speaker to each amp using both
positive terminals on each amp. Is this my understanding?

Then how do they connect all those multiple amps on say a stadium
tour?

just curious.

(1) Multiple speakers or at least multiple speaker drivers, generally quite
visible.

(2) Bridged mode as appropriate.

Rob Reedijk

rothman wrote:

Thank You, Thank You......Rob, that was very helpful information. So..Switch
to bridged mono on each amp....feed each amp a different signal....and
connect a single speaker to each amp using both positive terminals on each
amp. Is this my understanding?

Check the manuals for your amps. Follow the manuals' instructions.
Do your amps have bridging switches on them? Many don't.

Rob R.

Scott Dorsey

rothman wrote:

Thank You, Thank You......Rob, that was very helpful information. So..Switch
to bridged mono on each amp....feed each amp a different signal....and
connect a single speaker to each amp using both positive terminals on each
amp. Is this my understanding?

Right. When you bridge an amp, you are putting both sides of the amp in series,
so they are producing twice the voltage.

Then how do they connect all those multiple amps on say a stadium tour?

In most cases, they just have one amplifier per driver. Often you'll have
a a whole lot of drivers in the speaker arrays, and each one gets an amp
and some processing.

Scott Dorsey

rothman wrote:
anthony wrote:

Oh and if your 12" speakers are still too soft you can add another pair in
parallel or powered by a separate amp.

That is another question. My speakers do have an extra jack that it says is
wired in parallel. Can you simply daisy chain speakers without adding
resistance on one amp? Is this a fire hazard too? They are 8 Ohm speakers.

If you parallel two 8 ohm speakers, they are presenting a 4 ohm load to
the amplifier.

This is fine if your amp is rated to handle a 4 ohm load, though when you
bridge the amplifier you are only able to drive twice the impedance that
each side of the amplifier can drive.

If your problem is that you cannot get enough power into the speaker, running
multiple speakers off one amp will make your problem worse.

All this stuff is discussed in the FAQ, or in the Yamaha Sound Reinforcement
Handbook.

S O'Neill

Graham Hinton wrote:
Normally an amp drives between its output and ground (the black terminal).
If the power rail are +/- V volts the maximum voltage across the speaker is
V volts.
In bridge mode the inputs of both amp channels are connected together *but
one is inverted* so when one output is +V the other is -V and the voltage
between the two red terminals is 2V.
Doubling the voltage quadruples the power = V^2/R.

Which is why they also specify twice the load impedance (R here) to only supply
twice the power so as not to exceed the current rating of the amps.

William Sommerwerck

Just out of curiosity... what brand?

rothman wrote...

Yes they have a bridged mono switch. The amp manual is sh*t,
that is why I came here.

Justin Ulysses Morse

anthony.gosnell wrote:

Now that everyone has their amp pointed in the right direction you will find
that the amplifiers can all be turned down a few notches and everyone can
hear a lot better. Please remember this when performing live too.

You're not a guitar player, are you?

Output volume level has almost nothing to do with where a guitarist
sets his amplifier's gain control.

ulysses

LeBaron & Alrich

anthony.gosnell wrote:

"Justin Ulysses Morse" wrote:

You're not a guitar player, are you?

Output volume level has almost nothing to do with where a guitarist
sets his amplifier's gain control.

If you want distortion you should overload your pre-amp. You would be much
better off getting a valve preamp and adding a couple of extra stages before
the output valves.

In general I agree, but I know plenty of guitarists who get fabulous
tone who do not agree. They like the distortion from power tubes and/or
speakers being stressed and/or cabinets resonating. The ones in that
group who are sensitive to SPL use little amps, speakers that are easily
overdriven and flimsy cabinets, or sealed cabs to pull doen SPL while
givng the amp something to wrestle with.

There is as little point in telling a guitarist how to get sound as
there would be telling a violinist what strings or which rosin to use.
We get good guitarists and ****ty guitarists, and good violinists and
****ty violinists, but it's their gig, not ours.

When the sound person starts speaking in terms of "You should..."
communication generally starts to deteriorate rapidly. There are many
highways to great amplified instrument sounds and often someone has
already chosen the route they prefer. I may or may not agree, but that's
life.

--
hank alrich * secret mountain
audio recording * music production * sound reinforcement

Les Cargill

"anthony.gosnell" wrote:

"Justin Ulysses Morse" wrote
You're not a guitar player, are you?

Output volume level has almost nothing to do with where a guitarist
sets his amplifier's gain control.

If you want distortion you should overload your pre-amp. You would be much
better off getting a valve preamp and adding a couple of extra stages before
the output valves.

Anthony Gosnell

While that sounds like a great thing in theory ( and essentially provided the
business model for Mesa Boogie amplifiers ), it is not exactly
the same thing. This is why people buy and use Fender Champs for
recording.

--
Les Cargill

rec.audio.car FAQ (Part 2/5) Ian D. Bjorhovde Car Audio 0 March 6th 04 07:54 AM
rec.audio.car FAQ (Part 1/5) Ian D. Bjorhovde Car Audio 0 March 6th 04 07:54 AM
Amplifier Question jojo Car Audio 5 November 14th 03 07:26 AM
Amplifier Problem and question Rob Car Audio 2 August 1st 03 12:06 PM
SACD / DVD-A Surround Sound Basic question David Andrews High End Audio 2 July 18th 03 07:09 PM