Kevin G.

Default HELP: Kenwood KDC-MP7028 + KCA-iP500 iPod - Problems?

Hello all,

About a month ago I installed a Kenwood KDC-MP7028 head unit in my
4Runner, and it's been working great. And just recently I picked up a
60gb iPod photo (newest version - 4th gen) and decided I wanted to
purchase the KCA-iP500 iPod interface, since this head unit does
support all features.

So yesterday I install the KCA-iP500, and sure enough the head unit
recognizes it just fine. You simply select your source type as "Ext
Media", and right on the iPod screen it switches over to a Kenwood
logo, and all controls are shifted over to the Kenwood head unit. So
essentially at that point, the iPod is "locked", and you actually have
to control it from the Kenwood.

For the life of me, I can't figure out how to navigate around the songs
on the iPod using the Kenwood. The KCA-iP500 manual is very brief, and
simply says to use the SCAN button to swtich modes from ARTIST / SONG /
ALBUM , and the head unit is supposed to display this information on
screen -- but nothing actually displays on my head unit.

The best I can get out of the head unit is to display the Title of the
song, but I can not get the Album or Artist. So with 800+ songs on my
iPod, it's virtually impossible to actually find something I'm looking
for.

The firmware on my iPod is v1.2, which is actually newer than the v1.0
firmware they have listed in the KCA-iP500 manual. So my guess is that
maybe there's a slight incompatability issue since my device is newer
than the time of manufacturing on the Kenwood control unit?

Lastly, there are two toggle switches on the iP500, and according to
http://www.kenwood.com/i/kca-ip500/table/eng.html -- my KDC-MP7028
should have both switches in the DOWN position to give full display
information on screen. And both switches are in the down position, so
that really shouldn't be an issue.

Any help on this situation would be greatly appreciated.

Kevin G.

I'm having the EXACT same problem with my KDC-X789; just installed the
iP500 yesterday.

Except, I have a little over 4,000 songs on my iPod.

The 789 has an option to display the "disc name" as well as the track
name, and if I choose that, it ever-so-brilliantly shows THE NAME OF MY
iPOD, as opposed to something helpful like the ARTIST'S NAME.

I also can't for the life of me figure out how to browse anything other
than randomly. If I hit the scan button, I end up on what seems to be
either all my songs (but I have no way to tell) or

Argh.

Do me a favor -- if you find/found anything out, drop me an e-mail (or,
better, reply to this thread, so others can find this info via a google
groups search in the future), and I'll do the same if I have any luck.

--Ken

Kevin G. wrote:
[...]

Trane

Hi all,
i guess we are more or less in the same boat. bought the ipod photo
and KCA IP 500 yesterday and connected it to my 2002 model krc 590 mp,
i am only able to browse thru the first 4 folders of my ipod music
selection.
Sometimes the cheaper solutions are better. i am going to get this
cable instread:
http://tinyurl.com/8tb9t

( ca-c2ax )

that allows you to operate your ipod. just get a battery charger for
the ciggy lighter,
ATB
Trane

--
Trane
Trane's Profile: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...p?userid=36879

qckslvr456

I'm using a Kenwood MP-628 with the KCA-iP500. The night I got it
installed my ipod worked fine with it but then the next morning, it
says Error 60 and the kenwood logo doesn't come up on my ipod. I looked
it up in the manual and it says to reconect the ipod and if that
doesn't work then to reset your ipod. I did both about 50 times and
even reset my stereo. But when i try my frriends ipod it works fine. I
didn't do anything to my ipod overnight. Nothing has worked and I'm
gonna take it back into the shop cause they said that theere gona have
to tear the whole thign apart again. Has this happened to anyone?

--
qckslvr456
qckslvr456's Profile: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...p?userid=36999

Trane

So, does your ipod work when not connected to the kenwood thing?

--
Trane
Trane's Profile: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...p?userid=36879
View this thread: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/sh...d.php?t=223769

Dylan107

I'm researching what kind of iPod connector I want to get... after
finding this forum, I did a bit more searching and found this link to
the KCA-IP500 manual... perhaps this one is better than the one that
came with it?

http://www.kenwood.de/download_bda/bda_ken_kcaip500.pdf

--
Dylan107
Dylan107's Profile: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...p?userid=37005

qckslvr456

I figured out what went wrong with mine. My iPod didn't have the latest
update. Wow. Thanks for all the suggestions though guys.

--
qckslvr456
qckslvr456's Profile: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...p?userid=36999
View this thread: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/sh...d.php?t=223769

Trane

qckslvr456, glad your qckslvr456pod came back to life

Dylan107, thanks for your link to the manual, a bit better than my
japanese manual
I gave up on my KCA-iP500 and bought a ca-c2ax plus a ciggy power
charger.
One of my better decitions i must say!
browsing thru 55 gigs of music on a crappy display on my Kenwood stereo
which has some uncool buttons is just not an option. ipod has an
ubercool click wheel, a nice colorscreen and a super menu system, which
i get to use now
i wouldn't spend money on KCA-iP500 if i were you!

Only downside is that i manually have to turn off my tranepod when i
leave the car.

ATB Trane

--
Trane
Trane's Profile: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...p?userid=36879
View this thread: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/sh...d.php?t=223769

Rod

I just had the 25th anniversary Kenwood head unit (XXV-01D) installed
in my 2005 Grand Prix GTP with IPOD adaptor to my IPOD 60gig player.
It's fantastic! However, there are some methods of navigating through
your thousands of songs that only the remote can do.

I highly recommend you read the lengthy (and somewhat confusing)
manual, and if you still can't figure it all out, call 1-800-KENWOOD
and punch #'s until you hit technical support. They are great! They
guy talked me through everything I asked as I used the unit in my car.

Be prepared to re-tag your MP3's on your IPOD so that the song title
contains artist-album-songtitle instead. There are limitations of only
four lines on the kenwood display, which only shows the LIST TYPE
(e.g. Album, Genre, etc.), and the song name. So you need to cram
everything into the song name. I use the freeware program Media Monkey
to do all of this automatically.
Trane

Thanks for the advice. Rod
It looks like you have a nice display on your 'xxv-01D'
(http://tinyurl.com/avtua)

while i have a more "russian" look on my 'rx 590 mp'
(http://www.auto-g.jp/news/200202/07/...rx_590mp_B.jpg)

I fully understand that you are going for the KCA-iP500 solution, but
be warned: Renaming and tagging takes a long time. Over one year ago i
started renaming my 14.000 file mp3 collection.
I only finished about a month ago. It's really boring i've used
mp3 tag studio, great little program
http://www.magnusbrading.com/mp3ts/
don't let the ugly homepage scare you off
btw, anyone want to buy a cheap KCA-iP500

ATB
Trane

--
Trane
Trane's Profile: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...p?userid=36879
View this thread: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/sh...d.php?t=223769

Rod

Actually, renaming my 4000 mp3's only took 30 minutes using Media
Monkey.

I first cleared my library, then re-added the folder names of all my
mp3's on my IPOD to the media monky library.

I then used the "Tools / Auto-Organize Files" option and renamed all
files to the following format: Artist-Album-Track#-Title.
I then used the Tools / Auto-Tag from Filename" option and specified
the file format of Title. This took the entire filename and placed
it into the Title metatag.

Now all my song titles show up as Artist-Album-Track#-Title.

Sure, it sometimes has to scroll across to see the entire name, but at
least it's cool to watch, and I always know what album and artist I'm
on.

Rod.

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 11:57:04 +0000, Trane
wrote:

Thanks for the advice. Rod
It looks like you have a nice display on your 'xxv-01D'
(http://tinyurl.com/avtua)

while i have a more "russian" look on my 'rx 590 mp'
(http://www.auto-g.jp/news/200202/07/...rx_590mp_B.jpg)

I fully understand that you are going for the KCA-iP500 solution, but
be warned: Renaming and tagging takes a long time. Over one year ago i
started renaming my 14.000 file mp3 collection.
I only finished about a month ago. It's really boring i've used
mp3 tag studio, great little program
http://www.magnusbrading.com/mp3ts/
don't let the ugly homepage scare you off
btw, anyone want to buy a cheap KCA-iP500

ATB
Trane

Trane

cool, Rod, guess it is easier when you already have all info on the
artists.
I was stuck with 1000's of files only named trackXX and no tags.
Was heavy user at gracenote at that time.....
Good luck with your rodPod