Posted to rec.audio.pro,cakewalk.audio
Max Arwood Max Arwood is offline

Default Software to turn a PC into an Equalizer

Yea, guess we could wear a GPS coordinate tracker on our forehead g
Max Arwood

"Glennbo" wrote in message
. 17.102...
In the killer robot
"Max Arwood" grabbed the controls of the
spaceship cakewalk.audio and pressed these buttons...

You know - what you said really got me thinking. Could it be possible
to use 4 or more monitors and do some kind of computer controlled
cross interference pattern so that the mix position was flatter? Some
frequencies could be sent through the back speaker out of phase by a
different % at different frequencies. Wow what an idea. Neat but
probably not very practical.
unless there's some kind
an EQ that can make one set of monitors have different curves in
different parts of the room

Oh yea, I'll take one of those too.

Maybe they could make it so you wear a sensor that tells the EQ where you
are in the room, and the EQ auto adjusts to the acoustics in that exact
X/Y/Z coordinant. Wouldn't work if there were two people in the studio
though. g

--
Remove YourHeadFromYourAss to Reply by email
________ ____

Posted to rec.audio.pro,cakewalk.audio
Don Pearce Don Pearce is offline

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 20:42:25 GMT, Glennbo
wrote:

Maybe they could make it so you wear a sensor that tells the EQ where you
are in the room, and the EQ auto adjusts to the acoustics in that exact
X/Y/Z coordinant. Wouldn't work if there were two people in the studio
though. g

Nor, unfortunately, would it work for anyone with two ears. :-(

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro,cakewalk.audio
Mel Mel is offline

Could a PC be used to minimize a resonance in a speaker box? For
example, if a woofer and a box had a combined peak at 140 Hz, could
you set up a PC to create a dip at 140 hz? I know this doesn't take
the room into account, but sometimes you can't do anything about
that.

A buddy in college had what sounded to my consumer-level ears like
incredible sound coming out of some relatively small speakers. What
he had done was to set up an zillion-band equalizer so the bass was
boosted in the lower, and certain other ranges, with a few of the
bands lowered a little. The main boost was almost certainly below the
resonance of the 6" speakers in the 1 cu.ft. boxes. The speakers had
some pretty impressive magnets on them, so they were not Big-Lots
speakers. I think they were some name brand premium automotive
speakers,.. Pioneer, Sony, etc. He had experimented with the
equalizer and a bass guitar plugged into the receiver so that there
didn't seem to be any gross peaks in bass response. Anyway, his
thinking was that on a college bum's budget, he was getting way better
sound that he could have otherwise by using some used (ebay)
equipment. it sounded that way to me too, but I'm not an audio
engineer.

Anyway, could you have a PC do what he was trying to do with his
equalizer -- iron out some speaker response peaks and valleys?

But for guys like Brian Wilson it would work like a charm! g

--
Remove YourHeadFromYourAss to Reply by email
________ ____
/ ____/ /__ ____ ____ / __ )____
/ / __/ / _ \/ __ \/ __ \/ __ / __ \
/ /_/ / / __/ / / / / / / /_/ / /_/ /
\____/_/\___/_/ /_/_/ /_/_____/\____/
Glennbo http://www.soundclick.com/glennbo
Non-Linear Sound http://www.soundclick.com/jambits
Hear My Music http://www.soundclick.com/ThePseudonyms

Posted to rec.audio.pro,cakewalk.audio

On 1 May 2007 11:36:26 -0700, Mel wrote:

Could a PC be used to minimize a resonance in a speaker box? For
example, if a woofer and a box had a combined peak at 140 Hz, could
you set up a PC to create a dip at 140 hz? I know this doesn't take
the room into account, but sometimes you can't do anything about
that.

You don't need a PC for this. If you have an identified resonance in a
speaker that you want to get rid of, an inductor and a capacitor (and
maybe a resistor too) will do it for you without resorting to a PC. As
a bonus, provided you arrange them to flatten the amplitude properly,
they will also cancel any tendency for the resonance to ring and show
otherwise unwanted timing problems - in other words cancellation
occurs in both the frequency and time domains. If you have the
patience, you can do this for as many resonances as the speaker has.

A better solution, of course, would have been to design the speaker
properly in the first place. Come to that, I can't think how you would
go about mis-designing a woofer to produce a peak at 140Hz.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro,cakewalk.audio
Paul Stamler Paul Stamler is offline

"Mel" wrote in message
ups.com...
Could a PC be used to minimize a resonance in a speaker box? For
example, if a woofer and a box had a combined peak at 140 Hz, could
you set up a PC to create a dip at 140 hz? I know this doesn't take
the room into account, but sometimes you can't do anything about
that.

[snip]

Anyway, could you have a PC do what he was trying to do with his
equalizer -- iron out some speaker response peaks and valleys?

Yes. But you can do it a lot easier and cheaper, with no fans making noise,
using a couple of opamps and some Rs & Cs. (Okay, and a source for +/-
voltage.)

The equations for correcting the anechoic responses of closed-box speaker
systems are pretty simple and not new; Siegfried Linkwitz was writing about
this in the 1970s and I don't think he invented it. Vented boxes are tougher
but doable. Flattening peaks and extending bass response are possible, but
with caveats.

The big caveat is the need to move more air at low frequencies. If you're
extending the low-frequency rolloff, essentially you're just turning up the
volume at lower frequencies. Sooner or later you run into the physical
limits of how much air the speaker will move and still remain linear. Modest
improvements, though, are quite feasible, and in fact some manufacturers
design this into their systems.

Peace,
Paul

Posted to rec.audio.pro,cakewalk.audio
Shawn O'Connor Shawn O'Connor is offline

"Glennbo" wrote in message
. 33.102...
In the killer robot
"Arny Krueger" grabbed the controls of the spaceship
cakewalk.audio and pressed these buttons...

Wear headphones!!! You get the same sound at every point
in the room!!!

Yeah, but if you shift the headphones around on your head, then things
still change lots.

That's when you need to acoustically treat your cranium. g

With alcohol...

Posted to rec.audio.pro,cakewalk.audio
Shawn O'Connor Shawn O'Connor is offline

"Glennbo" wrote in message
. 33.102...
In news "Shawn O'Connor" grabbed the controls of the spaceship
cakewalk.audio and pressed these buttons...

Wear headphones!!! You get the same sound at every point
in the room!!!

Yeah, but if you shift the headphones around on your head, then

things
still change lots.

That's when you need to acoustically treat your cranium. g

With alcohol...

Hehe, it works! I have proof!!! 90 proof I think it was!!! g

I used to work in some rooms that could only be made acoustically
acceptable with a couple of shots of Wild Turkey.
For this reason, when I quit drinking, I had to stop playing live.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

Mel wrote:
Can a PC be used as a graphic equalizer?

Csound takes some learning, but in the end
you can design your own graphic interface
to any sort of DSP algorithm that has
been conceived.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,cakewalk.audio
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Mel wrote:
Could a PC be used to minimize a resonance in a speaker box? For
example, if a woofer and a box had a combined peak at 140 Hz, could
you set up a PC to create a dip at 140 hz? I know this doesn't take
the room into account, but sometimes you can't do anything about
that.

As I said earlier in this thread, it depends what CAUSES that peak.

If it's a cabinet resonance, for instance, the size of the peak depends
on the level it's excited at. So you can't fix it with an equalizer,
because the equalizer can't compensate for something level-dependant.

If it's a horn resonance, for instance, the size of the peak depends
on the position of the listener in the room. So you can't fix THAT
with an equalizer either, because the equalizer can't compensate for
something position-dependant.

But there are some driver issues and cabinet-driver interactions
that you can fix with EQ.

Turn $5 into $15,000 $$$ omi Car Audio 4 September 26th 06 01:32 PM
Can I turn SE OPT into PSE OPT? Dos Stephens Vacuum Tubes 1 September 8th 05 11:30 AM
TURN YOUR $6 INTO $10,000++ gladiator1708 Vacuum Tubes 0 March 29th 05 04:34 AM
Amp won't turn on.. plz help Tony Car Audio 0 August 19th 04 05:10 AM
POP when I turn off my car Sanitarium Car Audio 0 July 14th 03 06:32 PM