Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Default revox b215 service & repair needed

Hi, I have a Revox B215 cassette deck in need of a service.
I have had it for about 6 months and for that time it had worked
perfectly.
What happened is the tape speed is somwhat erratic, (on the slow side
slightly), and the farther along a side of the tape, it becomes worse,
to the point where the sound is almost unintelligible. This did not
happen gradually; I noticed it as I was playing a tape one day, in the
space of a 60 minute tape, the deck went from perfect to this problem.
I did clean the capstans, (which were somwhat dirty), and the heads and
rollers, but it did not help. The deck was sitting for some time (don't
know - a year or two) before I acquired it. Perhaps the bearings'
lubrication is dry? I have encountered this before on my Revox A77
capstan rear bearing; but I don't want to monkey around with the B215
unnecessarily.
If anyone out there has any ideas to resolve this problem, or can point
me in the right direction, I am most grateful in advance! Or, If
anyone knows if there is an authorized (or at least experienced) Revox
technician in (western) Canada, I would really like to contact them as
well.

Thank You,
Max.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Greg Grainger

In article , wrote:
Hi, I have a Revox B215 cassette deck in need of a service.
I have had it for about 6 months and for that time it had worked
perfectly.
What happened is the tape speed is somwhat erratic, (on the slow side
slightly), and the farther along a side of the tape, it becomes worse,
to the point where the sound is almost unintelligible.

I would be curious to know the answer to this problem as well. I have a
Revox B710 MkII with similar problems.

My mistake was first, trusting a guy who said he could fix it but
couldn't; and second, trusting the Revox technicians here in Toronto to
actually know what they were doing. That office/service centre has since
closed.

I bought this thing brand new and it worked prefectly for a very long
time. Now, I have isolated the problem to one of the capstan drives, the
first one. (I don't know the technical name for it, but it is the one that
feeds the tape to the heads.)

The (I'll call it primary) capstan just doesn't turn. If I twist it with
my fingers to start it, it works perfectly, but it won't start to turn
over on its own. I have been told that the mother works perfectly, but
there is a problem in a rather complicated system of clutches and belts at
the back of the motor.

I don't want to get finger grease all over the capstan post every time I
listen to a tape, but I don't want to leave the thing running non-stop,
either.

Anybody know of a (reliable) Revox technician in or near Toronto?

Alternatively, one of these days I'll just open the thing up and try to
figure it out myself. Can't do any worse than these other idiots, and I
don't charge nearly as much.

Thanks in advance,
Greg.

--
Greg Grainger grainger(at)vex.net

'What a world of gammon and spinach it is, though, ain't it?'
- Miss Mowcher

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

JM Techical Arts in Tennessee. j m t a r e v o x @ a o l . c o m

Remove the spaces.

They recently completed repairs on an A720 of mine.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Rainer Hausbach

Hi Max
Check rubber belts. They may have streched and are now slipping. It seems
to be a torque issue.
Mike Mueller

Hi Mike,

IMHO, the B215 doesn't have any belts. It's a very rare 4 motor design (lik
teh B710) with a motor for each capstan and for each 'reel', with
complicated(?) clutches and quartzdrives.
my guess is there's a problem with the controller or sensors.

HTH
Rainer