Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn[_3_] Jenn[_3_] is offline

Default Acoustic Sounds, etc.

Hey Scott and others, have you seen the new Acoustic Sounds catalogue?
Some good looking rock stuff there that might be of interest to you.

Last weekend at Amoeba L.A. I picked up the Classic Records reissue of
RCA LSC-2586, Gershwin Concerto in F, Cuban Overture, "I GOt Rhythm"
Variations, Fiedler/Earl Wild/Boston Pops. Just incredible. This may
be the best sounding reissue I've yet heard from Classic or anyone else.
A real orchestral/piano tour-de-force.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MiNe 109 MiNe 109 is offline

In article ,
Jenn wrote:

Hey Scott and others, have you seen the new Acoustic Sounds catalogue?
Some good looking rock stuff there that might be of interest to you.

Last weekend at Amoeba L.A. I picked up the Classic Records reissue of
RCA LSC-2586, Gershwin Concerto in F, Cuban Overture, "I GOt Rhythm"
Variations, Fiedler/Earl Wild/Boston Pops. Just incredible. This may
be the best sounding reissue I've yet heard from Classic or anyone else.
A real orchestral/piano tour-de-force.

I may have that performance on junk vinyl as a reissue two-lp set
coupled with the Rhapsody.

I'm dedicating August in part to vinyl.

Stephen

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
BretLudwig BretLudwig is offline

I've been to their place. It would be impressive for a local record store
but it is not worth a drive to Salina, KS, from anywhere very far away.
Their equipment salespeople are that, salespeople, no tech knowledge, and
they are there to move boxes.

Yeah, they have vinyl. Expensive vinyl. Not all of which sounds that
great. I'll stick with the SACD releases of Mercury Living Presence and
RCA Living Stereo until vinyl gets a little righter in price. I'd look at
the Tape Project if it was 1/2" 30 ips.

The best vinyl is the old vinyl of stuff no one wants anymore. Allen
Organ demo records, soundtracks to forgotten movies, cheesy old people
music. Not this hipster stuff.

--
Message posted using http://www.talkaboutaudio.com/group/rec.audio.opinion/
More information at http://www.talkaboutaudio.com/faq.html

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick Clyde Slick is offline

On 30 Iul, 17:04, Jenn wrote:
Hey Scott and others, have you seen the new Acoustic Sounds catalogue? *
Some good looking rock stuff there that might be of interest to you.

Last weekend at Amoeba L.A. I picked up the Classic Records reissue of
RCA LSC-2586, Gershwin Concerto in F, Cuban Overture, "I GOt Rhythm"
Variations, Fiedler/Earl Wild/Boston Pops. *Just incredible. *This may
be the best sounding reissue I've yet heard from Classic or anyone else. *
A real orchestral/piano tour-de-force.

I have the original vinyl, not one of the most impresive RCA's in my
opinion.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn[_3_] Jenn[_3_] is offline

In article
,
Clyde Slick wrote:

On 30 Iul, 17:04, Jenn wrote:
Hey Scott and others, have you seen the new Acoustic Sounds catalogue? *
Some good looking rock stuff there that might be of interest to you.

Last weekend at Amoeba L.A. I picked up the Classic Records reissue of
RCA LSC-2586, Gershwin Concerto in F, Cuban Overture, "I GOt Rhythm"
Variations, Fiedler/Earl Wild/Boston Pops. *Just incredible. *This may
be the best sounding reissue I've yet heard from Classic or anyone else. *
A real orchestral/piano tour-de-force.

I have the original vinyl, not one of the most impresive RCA's in my
opinion.

Hmmm, it would be interesting to compare the two pressings.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn[_3_] Jenn[_3_] is offline

In article
,
ScottW wrote:

On Jul 30, 9:49*pm, UnsteadyKen wrote:
wrote...
*The best vinyl is the old vinyl of stuff no one wants anymore. Allen
Organ demo records, soundtracks to forgotten movies, cheesy old people
music. Not this hipster stuff.

Right on, Brett. I like buying early records by obscure artists.
The simply recorded albums from before multitracking and overdubbing
took over can contain superbly realistic recordings; sometimes of
great *performances.Of course you get a lot of dross as well:-(

Sorry guys but the SOTA has advanced in both mixing/mastering
and pressing. Some of the old stuff is great, but IME, none of it is
as quiet (noise free) nor matches the dynamic range of the best
available today.
Now finding what you want may be limited as the catalogues of Classic
and Analogue Productions aren't exactly all encompassing.

ScottW

Also add Speakers Corner (mostly classical and jazz, some rock). I also
enjoy many of the Cisco reissues for old rock.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Vinylanach Vinylanach is offline

On Jul 30, 8:02�pm, "BretLudwig" wrote:
I've been to their place. It would be impressive for a local record store
but it is not worth a drive to Salina, KS, from anywhere very far away.
Their equipment salespeople are that, salespeople, no tech knowledge, and
they are there to move boxes.

I'm good friends with Clark Williams, who probably knows more about
turntable set-up than anyone else in the US (except for maybe Brooks
Berdan). I'm not sure when you visited, but suffice it to say that
they've upped their resources and knowledge base considerably in
recent years.

Boon

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Vinylanach Vinylanach is offline

On Jul 31, 8:52�pm, Jenn wrote:
In article
,

�Vinylanach wrote:
On Jul 30, 8:02?pm, "BretLudwig" wrote:
I've been to their place. It would be impressive for a local record store
but it is not worth a drive to Salina, KS, from anywhere very far away.
Their equipment salespeople are that, salespeople, no tech knowledge, and
they are there to move boxes.

I'm good friends with Clark Williams, who probably knows more about
turntable set-up than anyone else in the US (except for maybe Brooks
Berdan).

Brooks rocks, IMO.

He does. Super nice guy. Years ago, he fixed my SME V for free
because he had the part rolling around in his miscellaneous parts
drawer. Three or four years later I ran into him at an audio show,
and he remembered me even though I spent about five minutes in his
store. We talked for quite a while about all things analog.

I try to throw business his way whenever I can.

Boon
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn[_3_] Jenn[_3_] is offline

In article
,
Vinylanach wrote:

On Jul 31, 8:52?pm, Jenn wrote:
In article
,

?Vinylanach wrote:
[...]

Cool. I think that he is just super. Another great SoCal turntable guy
is Randy Cooley at Optimal Enchantment. Like Brooks, he has been there
forever and does great setups. He's kind of a (now) older hippie guy.
Years and years ago, I bought my Oracle/Alphason/Dynavector and my DCM
Timewindows from him. I hadn't seen him since about 1985, but ran into
him a couple of years ago at the Stereophile show in L.A. and we
chatted. It was great to see him, and great to know that he is still in
business.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Vinylanach Vinylanach is offline

On Aug 1, 8:54�am, Jenn wrote:
In article
,

�Vinylanach wrote:
On Jul 31, 8:52?pm, Jenn wrote:
In article
,

?Vinylanach wrote:
[...]

Randy is the guy who told me not to breathe on his turntable at an
audio show in 1992. I just wanted to see what it was. He ****ed me
off royally, and I never forgot it.

I've had several people over the years tell me what a great guy he is,
so I'll chalk it up to a bad day. But he'll never see a penny of my
money.

Boon

Boon

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick Clyde Slick is offline

On 1 Aug, 16:13, Vinylanach wrote:
On Aug 1, 8:54 am, Jenn wrote:

In article
,

Vinylanach wrote:
On Jul 31, 8:52?pm, Jenn wrote:
In article
,

?Vinylanach wrote:
[...]

And if you did spend your money here, would he let you
breathe on the $10,000 check you'll fork over?
LOL!!! I wonder how he woukd handle
one of Arny's checks!
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
BretLudwig BretLudwig is offline

The key is not which turntable-setter-upper is the best (i.e., has the
biggest dick, metaphorically speaking) but who is most successful on
impressing on their clientele the need for setup and for them to learn to
do it themselves. Because that's the reality. You gotta do it for
yourself.

--
Message posted using http://www.talkaboutaudio.com/group/rec.audio.opinion/
More information at http://www.talkaboutaudio.com/faq.html

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
BretLudwig BretLudwig is offline

Vinylanach:

" metaphorically speaking) but who is most successful on

impressing on their clientele the need for setup and for them to learn

do it themselves. Because that's the reality. You gotta do it for
yourself.

So I guess in your world, people who lack mechanical skills or manual
dexterity don't deserve to listen to analog. Got it."

If you knew your audio history (you don't) you'd know that one of the
earliest set of CD adopters were the blind and the limited-dexterity
people, people with artificial hands and those who have no finger
mobility, the genuinely disabled. Those people are not going to listen to
analog because _they can't_. Or it is such a hassle they are not going to
bother. CD is a great benefit to those people.

But how big a market niche is this? Let's be realistic. And, yes, also
sympathetic.

However.....99% of spoiled yuppies are DIFM because of laziness or
cowardice or both. Yes, those people DO NOT DESERVE analog. You damn
skippy they don't.

--
Message posted using http://www.talkaboutaudio.com/group/rec.audio.opinion/
More information at http://www.talkaboutaudio.com/faq.html

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Vinylanach Vinylanach is offline

On Aug 2, 1:24�pm, "BretLudwig" wrote:
Vinylanach:

" metaphorically speaking) but who is most successful on

impressing on their clientele the need for setup and for them to learn

do it themselves. Because that's the reality. You gotta do it for
yourself.

So I guess in your world, people who lack mechanical skills or manual
dexterity don't deserve to listen to analog. �Got it."

�If you knew your audio history (you don't) you'd know that one of the
earliest set of CD adopters were the blind and the limited-dexterity
people, people with artificial hands and those who have no finger
mobility, the genuinely disabled. Those people are not going to listen to
analog because _they can't_. Or it is such a hassle they are not going to
bother. CD is a great benefit to those people.

Yeah, I was on Pluto the week they switched over to CDs.

Needless to say, before those oh so many years ago, people were still
able to listen to records on record players with cartridges mounted by
the people who sold them the record players. In fact, that never
really went away. People only stopped being able to do it for
themselves when they stopped patronizing the brick-and-mortar stores
and started looking for deals online and by mail order.

Yeah, those people don't deserve analog.

Boon

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
BretLudwig BretLudwig is offline

The vast majority of those brick and mortar stores failed miserably at
setting up turntables and succeeded mostly at intimidating and misleading
a good number of people who came in the door into buying the pure crap
that a good percent of old tables really are.