BrightBoy

Default NASA EMI Shielding Guidebook

If anyone was following the recent thread on EMI Shielding/MuMetals,
Scott Dorsey mentioned a NASA publication called the "Marshall Space
Flight Center Electromagnetic Compatibility Design and Interference
Control (MEDIC) Handbook"

Thanks to the wonders of the internet, this paper is available to all
to download:

http://trs.nis.nasa.gov/archive/00000290/01/rp1368.pdf

This and other government publications can be found from this
jump page:

http://see.msfc.nasa.gov/ee/eepub.html

Enjoy!!!!

Jeff
Primaudio

"Marshall Space
Flight Center Electromagnetic Compatibility Design and Interference
Control (MEDIC) Handbook"

Thanks Jeff for chasing this down. I look forward to looking at it.

\phillip
Neil Gould

Recently, BrightBoy posted:

If anyone was following the recent thread on EMI Shielding/MuMetals,
Scott Dorsey mentioned a NASA publication called the "Marshall Space
Flight Center Electromagnetic Compatibility Design and Interference
Control (MEDIC) Handbook"

Thanks to the wonders of the internet, this paper is available to all
to download:

http://trs.nis.nasa.gov/archive/00000290/01/rp1368.pdf

Thanks for the pointers, Jeff. I'll be reading through these documents!

As the one who started the original thread with a question, I offer the
following results of my exploration to date.

Mu-metal is probably the best choice of materials for magnetic shielding.
However, it may not be a practical solution for guitars due to its price,
availability, and the difficulties in working with the material without
damaging its properties. For example, enough material to shield the pickup
cavities in a Strat would cost more than 1/2 the price of an American
Standard.

The problem has been generally addressed in various ways. For example,
early Gibson SGs used a brass plate behind the pickup as a flux shield.

Often-used solutions for Strats involve the use of metal-infused paint or
copper foil. This approach relies on the conductivity of these materials
to create counteracting eddy currents when in the presence of magnetic
fields. I'm skeptical, but will let you know how it works out. ;-)

Regards,

Neil