Posted to rec.audio.pro
Danny T Danny T is offline

Default Touch sensitive vrs. Non-touch sensitive flying faders?

If you don't have touch sensitive faders (with automation), can you
change a mix, on the fly when an automation track has already be laid
down?

I realize you get the benefit of having the faders in the right place
when you restart but what good does that do during mixdown if you
can't change the mix by just pushing the fader?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

Danny T wrote:
If you don't have touch sensitive faders (with automation), can you
change a mix, on the fly when an automation track has already be laid
down?

All "touch sensitive" does is automatically puts the automation into
the "write" or "update" mode when you grab a fader. It's like doing a
punch-in on a track. You can manually put a fader (or all faders) into
the write mode on nearly every automation system.

Incidentally, some automation faders are actually touch sensitive -
that is, they go into write when you put a finger on the knob. Others
are motion sensitive. They don't write until you move them.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Danny T Danny T is offline

Mike Rivers wrote:
Danny T wrote:
If you don't have touch sensitive faders (with automation), can you
change a mix, on the fly when an automation track has already be laid
down?

All "touch sensitive" does is automatically puts the automation into
the "write" or "update" mode when you grab a fader. It's like doing a
punch-in on a track. You can manually put a fader (or all faders) into
the write mode on nearly every automation system.

Incidentally, some automation faders are actually touch sensitive -
that is, they go into write when you put a finger on the knob. Others
are motion sensitive. They don't write until you move them.

I've been looking for a cheap automation mixer that I can use with
cubase and perhaps also use the preamps on but I don't know which to
get. Will the 0V1 or the tascam tmd1000 work for that? All I have now
is a US428 and the faders are not moterized.

Thanks Mike

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nate Najar Nate Najar is offline

I don't know about the o1v. The tmd100 isn't what you want- itonly has
snapshot automation and the faders aren't motorized. I have the new
dm3200 and i use it mostly as a 16 channel control surface for pro
tools and it works like a charm. Motorized faders, touch sensitive and
the board itself actually has really good automation of its own if you
mix out of the box. The pres are crap though, but i use external pres
so it isn't a concern for me.

Nate

Danny T wrote:
Mike Rivers wrote:
Danny T wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Danny T wrote:

I've been looking for a cheap automation mixer that I can use with
cubase and perhaps also use the preamps on but I don't know which to
get. Will the 0V1 or the tascam tmd1000 work for that?

I suppose that the 01V puts out some flavor of MMC commands, not sure
of the TASCAM TMD-1000. I haven't heard anything about that one in
years.

I'm pretty sure there's a cheap Behringer fader controller that's
motorized. And have you seen that new one-fader device from Frontier
Design, the Alphatrack? At least their stuff almost always works.

http://www.frontierdesign.com/Products/AlphaTrack

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Danny T Danny T is offline

Mike Rivers wrote:
Danny T wrote:

I've been looking for a cheap automation mixer that I can use with
cubase and perhaps also use the preamps on but I don't know which to
get. Will the 0V1 or the tascam tmd1000 work for that?

I suppose that the 01V puts out some flavor of MMC commands, not sure
of the TASCAM TMD-1000. I haven't heard anything about that one in
years.

I'm pretty sure there's a cheap Behringer fader controller that's
motorized. And have you seen that new one-fader device from Frontier
Design, the Alphatrack? At least their stuff almost always works.

http://www.frontierdesign.com/Products/AlphaTrack

it looks like the Alfa track is just a single fader. I didn't mention
but I really want at least 16 faders at a time. 8 faders would do in a
pinch but more is better.

There is a DM24 from Tascam that I see around that looks like it might
work. My biggest hang up is that I really want to use the old version
of VST32. I have the semi new SX3 but don't like it and that rules out
the use of the Tascam Us2400 since it needs OS10 to make it work. All I
really need though is something like the US2400. I have a big gap in
product knowledge since up until 3 months ago I was mostly on my boat
for 3 years. I didn't spend any time learning about what was out there
and things change fast as you know.

Anyway, I always appreciate your help - and from others too. Even if it
doesn't hit the nail on the head it gets me much closer.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Danny T Danny T is offline

Soundhaspriority wrote:

The Tascam FW-1082 works, and comes bundled with Cubase. BTW, have you
noticed that there is a product class that is actually not a mixer, but
consists of

1. computer control interface that looks like a board.
2. multichannel A/D via FireWire.

The Tascam FW-1082 and FW-1884 are popular examples of this. The pres are
decent. The boards have a good reputation, except that the mike inputs are
subject to damage if an XLR is disconnected while phantom power is engaged.

I could sell you mine, bundled with two Midiman DMP-3 preamps, which would
provide eight mike preamps. I now do primarily field recording, so I'm using
Sound Devices recorders instead. It's LN. I could send pics.

Bob Morein
Dresher, PA
(215) 646-4894

If you don't need an answer from me for a few days, I'd like to look at
this. I have a full 3 days planned so I won't be doing anymore internet
until tuesday but if you want to send me something, feel free and thank
you.

Danny

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Danny T wrote:

it looks like the Alfa track is just a single fader. I didn't mention
but I really want at least 16 faders at a time. 8 faders would do in a
pinch but more is better.

How about the Yamaha DM1000? Seems like it'd fit your needs pretty well,
even if it costs a little more than the Tascam(s).

--
ha

Touch Sensitive Faders Tim Pro Audio 15 April 20th 06 03:28 PM
OT Touch Screen voting was better WillStG Pro Audio 3 November 24th 04 08:37 PM