Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick

Default Non-LP analogue

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
. ..
wrote in message
ups.com
Arny Krueger wrote:

Arny tells Jenn about the way of the world:

Most normal audiophiles and music lovers had abandoned
the LP format as their "daily driver" about 12-15 years
ago. *Anybody* who favors the LP format over CD is
abnormal by modern standards.

Arny when will you grasp that preferences and cultural
choices are not subject to an opinion poll.

I never said they were.

If 99.99% of
rock concert attendees-screamers, car boom box lover and
Best Buy "theater systems" prefer something the chances
are it will be something that I'll find boring or
repulsive.

Straw man argument.

Its not an argument, Arnie, its just a statement about her preferences.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Harry Lavo

"Steven Sullivan" wrote in message

Harry Lavo wrote:

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Steven Sullivan" wrote in message

Harry Lavo wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message
I've heard good analogue tapes (two of the 50s and
60s original Mercury master tapes, for example) but
never in a home audio setting. I'd like to try to
borrow a good Revox or similar and hear an excellent
analogue master tape and see if I perceive the
timbre issue to be similar to LP. That would help to
determine if what I like about LP sound is due to
colorations inherent to LPs.

Well assuming you could get the appropriate and
calibrated Dolby A setup, I think you'd be blown away
by how analogue tape takes that "LP sound" and raises
it to six no-trump.

How excellent, then, that by doing a good digital
transfer of that tape, one can capture that six
no-trump sound and protect it from degradation.

Exactly. She's really exposed herself this time. The
worst thing that can be said about CDs is that they may
accurately reflect master tapes, which the LP never
could do.

Jenn has revealed that she has no clue as to what
master tapes are really all about, or how they relate
to her obsession with the non-existent realism of LPs.

She's also beginning to expose the fact that she has no
idea about how recording and reproduction are actually
supposed to work.

Pure BS Arny. Jenn has said she prefers really good
LP's over most CD's,

all CDs -- at least, all she's heard -- really.

because to her ears instrumental timbres sound "more
real". A lot of audiophiles agree with her.

A lot don't. Game over?

Make that: At least 100 times more music lovers disagree with Jenn.

That Harry could imagine that the number of vinyl bigots is a significant
percentage of all audiophiles is part of his, umm disconnectedness with
reality.

Vinyl bigots, no. There are very few around. Audiophiles who have decent
vinyl systems and think that vinyl *can* sound as good (or in some cases,
better) than most CD's.....that's a different story. Yes, I believe them to
be a substantial percentage (although not a majority) of those I would
consider audiophiles.....i.e. those seeking the highest level of sound
reproduction quality via their home music system, with a willingness to
invest time, effort, and money to obtain same, and a willingness to
experientially listen in order to achieve those results.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger

Harry Lavo wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message
[...]

Not at all.

Even with your dissembling Harry, it is a tiny minority.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Harry Lavo

Harry Lavo wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for calling me a liar when I've done no such thing.

I say its a significant percentage; you say it is not. Neither of us has
facts. So if I am dissembling, so are you. But then, if true why should
THAT surprise me?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Harry Lavo wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message
[...]

Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Yes, I believe them to
be a substantial percentage

A fraction of a per cent perhaps, maybe less?

(although not a majority) of those I would
consider audiophiles.....i.e. those seeking the highest level of sound
reproduction quality via their home music system, with a willingness to
invest time, effort, and money to obtain same, and a willingness to
experientially listen in order to achieve those results.

LP's are fine if there is no CD available, or in the rare chance that
there was a bad transfer, but for anyone else with decent hearing,
there's not much reason to invest thousands of dollars in antiques.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn

In article .com,
" wrote:

John Atkinson wrote:
wrote:
Arny tells Jenn about the way of the world:
Most normal audiophiles and music lovers had abandoned
the LP format as their "daily driver" about 12-15 years ago.
*Anybody* who favors the LP format over CD is abnormal by
modern standards.

Arny when will you grasp that preferences and cultural choices
are not subject to an opinion poll.

There is no rational reason for Arny Krueger to keep attacking
Jenn's preference for listening to music on LP. And while there
is an element of "anachrophilia" about a preference for LPs
almost a quarter century after the launch of CD, it is a fact
that sales of LP playback equipment are increasing.
Admittedly from a low base, but the etnhusiasm is real.

On the subject iof string sound on CD that provoked Arny
Krueger's crusade, the violin sound on the new Harmonia
Mundi SACD of Tchaikovsky's Symphony 6 is good as I
as have ever heard from LP.

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile

For a conductor to claim that the unmitigated crtap that is LP sounds
better or more real than CD is an outrageous statement, and clearly
marks anyone who says they vlaue the sound of real instruments as
hearing impaired or stupid.

Thanks for your highly valued opinion. I would suggest that you attend
a few dozen orchestral concerts, sit in a good seat in a good hall, then
either come over or let's meet up at some site that has a good CD and LP
set up and we'll listen together and compare notes. Maybe you'll be in
SoCal this summer for the Stereophile show, and we can get together then.

That you don't see this is pretty pathetic, but we've come to expect
such statements from you. How many magazines do you think it helped
sell?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn

Harry Lavo wrote:

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Steven Sullivan" wrote in message

Harry Lavo wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message
.
..
[...]

Geeze Mike; your thong in a bunch tonight?
(Your name is Mike, isn't it? I've only seen derivatives of it here,
and I don't care to participate in that. If I have your name wrong,
sorry.)
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
ScottW

"Jenn" wrote in message
In article .com,
" wrote:

John Atkinson wrote:
wrote:
[...]

When and where is this show? Whats the attraction?

ScottW

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn

In article OGuMf.134455$0G.2211@dukeread10,
"ScottW" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message
In article .com,
" wrote:

John Atkinson wrote:
wrote:
[...]

http://www.homeentertainment-expo.com/
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
ScottW

"Jenn" wrote in message

http://www.homeentertainment-expo.com/

Cool, I just might have to check that out.

thanks,

ScottW

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn

In article jQvMf.134460$0G.80346@dukeread10,
"ScottW" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message

http://www.homeentertainment-expo.com/

Cool, I just might have to check that out.

thanks,

ScottW

Sure.
I've only been to a couple of audio shows, and one was a Stereophile
show in Santa Monica in 85 or 87...somewhere around there. I was great
fun.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
ScottW

"ScottW" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message

http://www.homeentertainment-expo.com/

Cool, I just might have to check that out.

thanks,

ScottW

Sure.
I've only been to a couple of audio shows, and one was a Stereophile
show in Santa Monica in 85 or 87...somewhere around there. I was great
fun.

I was too... 20 years ago .

ScottW

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn

"ScottW" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message

http://www.homeentertainment-expo.com/

Cool, I just might have to check that out.

thanks,

ScottW

Sure.
I've only been to a couple of audio shows, and one was a Stereophile
show in Santa Monica in 85 or 87...somewhere around there. I was great
fun.

I was too... 20 years ago .

ScottW

Oh yeah! I THOUGHT I saw you there! :-)
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick

"Jenn" wrote in message
In article .com,
" wrote:

John Atkinson wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Jenn:
hehehe, Mikey lives in LA.
He won't show, though

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick

"Jenn" wrote in message

Harry Lavo wrote:

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Steven Sullivan" wrote in message

Harry Lavo wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message
.
..
[...]

His name is Mike McKelvey.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick

"Jenn" wrote in message
In article OGuMf.134455$0G.2211@dukeread10,
"ScottW" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message
In article .com,
" wrote:

John Atkinson wrote:
wrote:
[...]

I'll try to plan a San Diego trip at that time.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn

In article ,
"Clyde Slick" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message
In article .com,

Geeze Mike; your thong in a bunch tonight?
(Your name is Mike, isn't it? I've only seen derivatives of it here,
and I don't care to participate in that. If I have your name wrong,
sorry.)

His name is Mike McKelvey.

Thanks.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger

"Jenn" wrote in message

Thanks for your highly valued opinion. I would suggest
that you attend a few dozen orchestral concerts, sit in a
good seat in a good hall, then either come over or let's
meet up at some site that has a good CD and LP set up and
we'll listen together and compare notes.

I get it - technical evaluation by means of dueling poetry?

LOL!

Given the miniscule sales of LPs and LP playback equipment, its probable
that somewhere between 90 and 99% of all attendees at any orchestral
concert, including the musicians concertmaster and conductor, listen to
digital sources almost all of the time.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger

Harry Lavo wrote:

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Steven Sullivan" wrote in
message
Harry Lavo wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message
[...]

How big of a weasel phrase is "signficant percentage"?

Neither of us has facts.

We know the relative sales of LP and digital recordings.

LP sales are less than 1% of the sales of digital recordings.

We have an idea of how the sales of digital and LP players stack up.

If dance club sales of LP players are discounted, LP players make up much
less than 1% of all music players sold, probably more like 0.3%.

So if I am dissembling, so are you. But then, if true why should THAT
surprise me?

Harry, when it comes to dissembling, you are light years ahead of me. I'm
quite sure that just one model digital player - the 20 GB iPod outsells all
LP players bought for any purpose by a goodly multiplier.

I still remember several years ago the US importer of I believe it was Rega
turntables, commenting on the resugence of vinyl, excitedly told me that
things had improved dramatically and he was now selling several dozen per
month.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick

"Jenn" wrote in message

Thanks for your highly valued opinion. I would suggest
that you attend a few dozen orchestral concerts, sit in a
good seat in a good hall, then either come over or let's
meet up at some site that has a good CD and LP set up and
we'll listen together and compare notes.

I get it - technical evaluation by means of dueling poetry?

LOL!

LOL is RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!
Arny has a phobia, a fear of listening to live music!

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Harry Lavo

Harry Lavo wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message
[...]

Well, all this would be fine if I was talking about sales, but I wasn't (a
convenient fact that you snipped without attribution).

I said "a significant share of audiophiles" and then I went on to define
audiophile in a way that couldn't be mistaken for casual audio listeners.

Once again, you've set up and slayed a strawman. Not that different from a
windmill.

Perhaps you should change your name to "Arny" Quixote.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message

Thanks for your highly valued opinion. I would suggest
that you attend a few dozen orchestral concerts, sit in a
good seat in a good hall, then either come over or let's
meet up at some site that has a good CD and LP set up and
we'll listen together and compare notes.

I get it - technical evaluation by means of dueling poetry?

LOL!

Did I mention anything about a "technical evaluation"?

Given the miniscule sales of LPs and LP playback equipment, its probable
that somewhere between 90 and 99% of all attendees at any orchestral
concert, including the musicians concertmaster and conductor, listen to
digital sources almost all of the time.

No doubt.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger

"Harry Lavo" wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

I still remember several years ago the US importer of I
believe it was Rega turntables, commenting on the
resugence of vinyl, excitedly told me that things had
improved dramatically and he was now selling several
dozen per month.

Well, all this would be fine if I was talking about
sales, but I wasn't (a convenient fact that you snipped
without attribution).

I said "a significant share of audiophiles" and then I
went on to define audiophile in a way that couldn't be
mistaken for casual audio listeners.

So what?

Harry, just because you want to redefine common words for yourself doesn't
oblige anybody else to honor that redefinition.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Harry Lavo

"Harry Lavo" wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

I still remember several years ago the US importer of I
believe it was Rega turntables, commenting on the
resugence of vinyl, excitedly told me that things had
improved dramatically and he was now selling several
dozen per month.

Well, all this would be fine if I was talking about
sales, but I wasn't (a convenient fact that you snipped
without attribution).

I said "a significant share of audiophiles" and then I
went on to define audiophile in a way that couldn't be
mistaken for casual audio listeners.

So what?

Harry, just because you want to redefine common words for yourself
doesn't oblige anybody else to honor that redefinition.

Well, you apparently thought it thought-provoking enough to have snipped it
without attribution, so you could erect your starwman instead.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger

"Harry Lavo" wrote in message

[...]

Your definition was a straw man untio itself:

"i.e. those seeking the highest level of sound
reproduction quality via their home music system, with a willingness to
invest time, effort, and money to obtain same, and a willingness to
experientially listen in order to achieve those results."

This is a pretty good example of a criteria that is biased towards the
viewpoint of the person presenting it as a global standard. The two most
ludicrous points are "highest level of sound reproduction" and
"experientially listen".

There are in fact very few people who are realistically seeking the highest
level of sound reproduction because just about everybody has finite
resources.

"Experientially listen" is a phrase that AFAIK Harry Lavo made up to make
plain nasty old sighted evaluations seem to be something special.

I suspect that Harry learned how to bias criteria when he was selling his
integrity to a former employer.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Harry Lavo

"Harry Lavo" wrote in message

[...]

Your interpretation, based on zero input or clarification other than your
own surmise.

There are in fact very few people who are realistically seeking the
highest level of sound reproduction because just about everybody has
finite resources.

The true audiophile seeks to get as close to the ultimate goal as his/her
sanity, his/her marital union (if married), or his/her financial resources
allow. As with the original definition of "high end" (or "high fidelity" if
you don't like that) it means getting as close to the absoute fidelity of
the sound of live music as you can. It's the striving, rather than the
reaching, that matters...so if practical matters put a limit to it, you can
still be a true audiophile.

Obviously most people have one or another limitations. Thats a
non-argument, Arny, a debating trade tactic that doesn't fly..

"Experientially listen" is a phrase that AFAIK Harry Lavo made up to make
plain nasty old sighted evaluations seem to be something special.

If you didn't understand it, you might have (if you were a reasonable
person) asked what I meant by it. I mean by it, careful listening,
comparative listening, whether sighted or blind...but a willingness to test,
compare, and improve in the search for better sound quality. Experiential
listening.....meaning, "from the experience of listening".

I suspect that Harry learned how to bias criteria when he was selling his
integrity to a former employer.

Gratuitus, ad hominem (and totally without a grain of truth) attack.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Clyde Slick wrote:
"Jenn" wrote in message

Harry Lavo wrote:

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Steven Sullivan" wrote in message

Harry Lavo wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message
.
..
[...]

No it isn't.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick

wrote in message
oups.com...

Clyde Slick wrote:
"Jenn" wrote in message

Harry Lavo wrote:

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Steven Sullivan" wrote in message

Harry Lavo wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message
.
..
[...]

did I spell it wrong?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
George M. Middius

Clyde Slick said:

His name is Mike McKelvey.

No it isn't.

did I spell it wrong?

It's actually Mikey d. McKelvy.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Sander deWaal

"Clyde Slick" said:

His name is Mike McKelvey.

No it isn't.

did I spell it wrong?

Yep. It's Michael McKelvy.

--

- Never argue with idiots, they drag you down their level and beat you with experience. -

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger

"Sander deWaal" wrote in message

"Clyde Slick" said:

His name is Mike McKelvey.

No it isn't.

did I spell it wrong?

Yep. It's Michael McKelvy.

So here we've got it - gentlepersons Sander, Jenn and Art all ganging up on
Mike and agreeing that he's an idiot. Probably for the 100th time or more
for some of them.

Heartwarming or what? ;-)

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Sander deWaal

"Clyde Slick" said:

His name is Mike McKelvey.

No it isn't.

did I spell it wrong?

Yep. It's Michael McKelvy.

So here we've got it - gentlepersons Sander, Jenn and Art all ganging up on
Mike and agreeing that he's an idiot. Probably for the 100th time or more
for some of them.

It must take an enormous amount of imagination to see a correction in
typing someone's name as "agreeing he's an idiot".

That, or simply bad intent.

Heartwarming or what? ;-)

LoT:"s ;-)

--

- Never argue with idiots, they drag you down their level and beat you with experience. -
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn

"Clyde Slick" said:

His name is Mike McKelvey.

No it isn't.

did I spell it wrong?

Yep. It's Michael McKelvy.

So here we've got it - gentlepersons Sander, Jenn and Art all ganging up on
Mike and agreeing that he's an idiot. Probably for the 100th time or more
for some of them.

Arny's first lie of the day concerning me. I in no way "ganged up" on
Mike. I simply and politely asked him his name, because I didn't want
to use the silly "put down" names that are used here. Once again, no
good deed left unpunished by you. Stop lying.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger

"Jenn" wrote in message

"Clyde Slick" said:

His name is Mike McKelvey.

No it isn't.

did I spell it wrong?

Yep. It's Michael McKelvy.

So here we've got it - gentlepersons Sander, Jenn and
Art all ganging up on Mike and agreeing that he's an
idiot. Probably for the 100th time or more for some of
them.

Arny's first lie of the day concerning me. I in no way
"ganged up" on Mike. I simply and politely asked him his
name, because I didn't want to use the silly "put down"
names that are used here. Once again, no good deed left
unpunished by you. Stop lying.

Not at all. You quite clearly agreed with a post by Art that accused him of
"having his thong in a bunch" Here's the reference:

You should be more careful about what you agree with, Jenn.

At the very least you should edit out the things you don't agree with.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Sander deWaal

Jenn said:

"Arny Krueger" wrote:

"Sander deWaal" wrote:

"Clyde Slick" said:

did I spell it wrong?

Yep. It's Michael McKelvy.

So here we've got it - gentlepersons Sander, Jenn and Art all ganging up on
Mike and agreeing that he's an idiot. Probably for the 100th time or more
for some of them.

Arny's first lie of the day concerning me. I in no way "ganged up" on
Mike. I simply and politely asked him his name, because I didn't want
to use the silly "put down" names that are used here. Once again, no
good deed left unpunished by you. Stop lying.

To make matters worse, the only person using the word "idiot" is the
person Arny claims is getting abused.

Follow the attributions:

wrote in message
oups.com...

Clyde Slick wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message

--

- Never argue with idiots, they drag you down their level and beat you with experience. -