G. Mark Stewart

Default JVC Home Theater Sound

I'm about to have a Mitsubishi 42" RPTV delivered, and was
looking for a sound system. I'm replacing an old VCR and a non-
progressive-scan DVD player. I was looking for a combo DVD/VCR
to save space, and frankly, considering how cheap they are these
days, I'm not too concerned about the issue of having one break
and it taking the whole unit out of service. The salesguy said
that if I wasn't too worried about that, he personally would
recommend a combo sound system with it. It was a JVC with
it built in a single unit with 4 speakers and a subwoofer for
around 400 bucks.

My room's about 12 feet by 20 feet, with the viewing angle
about 8-12 degrees mac. and a viewing distance of around 8
feet. Speaker placement space's pretty sparse (the speakers
on this JVC unit are each about the size of salt box. We use
the television for general viewing - nothing fancy, no use for
music-only.

Pros and cons of such a system? Is it all just subjective on
my part, or are there some major pitfalls or better deals to
be had? I was steered away from lesser brands as the salesguy
said that if corners are to be cut, they'll generally be cut on
these "value", combo systems, and that, say, JVC would be a
better bet.

Suggestions/comments?

TIA!

Mark