Marc

Default OT-Marantz 2216 Receiver Amp Board Schematic/Troubleshooting Advice

I realize that this is ot, but I also recognize that there is also a
wealth of vintage audio technical talent that reads and posts to this
ng.

I need the schematic for a Marantz 2216 Receiver (P700 Main Amp)
board, and could use any and all troubleshooting advice.

This Main Amp board possibly could be common to other Marantz
receivers, such as the 2216B, 2218, or ???

Or possibly used in some integrated receivers ???

(some of you experienced Marantz gurus might know which ones)

This amplifier board uses four Sanyo transistors: 2-D313; and 2-B507.
------
Here is what I know thus far about this receiver:

I traded for this receiver knowing that it had no sound output. (other
than that, I know nothing more of the history of it)

The front end works as it should, am fm etc., However, there is
absolutely no sound coming from the speaker outputs.

The rf signal is reaching the P700 Main Amp board.

The P700 Main Amp board is receiving 52vdc from the P800 Power supply
board.

All indications are (at least to me) that the problem is in the
P700 Main Amp Board.

Though this is not a high wattage receiver, it is really clean, and
might be worthy of repair.

If anyone has any troubleshooting advice or comments, I could
certainly use the help.

Many thanks for you help,

Mark
Marc

You could look at 2215 and 2215B which are he
http://dummyload.com/marantz/index.html

MANY MANY THANKS TOM!!!

It appears that the 2216 uses the same amp board as the 2215B.

A bit of a mystery though:

There are four in-line diodes hand-soldered to the back side of the
board.

BUT, it appears that every transistor (in at least one channel) is
shorted.

Given my lack of soldering expertise, this repair may have to wait
until I am more "soldering proficient"

Thanks again,

Mark
Trevor Wilson

"Marc" wrote in message
om...
I realize that this is ot, but I also recognize that there is also a
wealth of vintage audio technical talent that reads and posts to this
ng.

I need the schematic for a Marantz 2216 Receiver (P700 Main Amp)
board, and could use any and all troubleshooting advice.

This Main Amp board possibly could be common to other Marantz
receivers, such as the 2216B, 2218, or ???

**Nope. They're all different. The 2216 was capacitor coupled, whilst the
2216B and 2218 were both direct coupled (ie: split rails).

Or possibly used in some integrated receivers ???

**Huh?

(some of you experienced Marantz gurus might know which ones)

This amplifier board uses four Sanyo transistors: 2-D313; and 2-B507.

**Yep. Replace 'em. Unreliable things they were. TIP series devices should
work fine.

------
Here is what I know thus far about this receiver:

I traded for this receiver knowing that it had no sound output. (other
than that, I know nothing more of the history of it)

The front end works as it should, am fm etc., However, there is
absolutely no sound coming from the speaker outputs.

The rf signal is reaching the P700 Main Amp board.

The P700 Main Amp board is receiving 52vdc from the P800 Power supply
board.

All indications are (at least to me) that the problem is in the
P700 Main Amp Board.

**A reasonable guess.

Though this is not a high wattage receiver, it is really clean, and
might be worthy of repair.

If anyone has any troubleshooting advice or comments, I could
certainly use the help.

**Just measure the Voltages at the Emitters of the output transistors. It
should be close to 1/2 the rail Volts. The channel which is faulty, will
likely show something different. I'd suggest replacing outputs, drivers and
Emitter resistors, just on spec. Then check all the other semis in the
output stages. Being capacitor coupled, the thing is easy to fault find.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Marc

This Main Amp board possibly could be common to other Marantz
receivers, such as the 2216B, 2218, or ???

**Nope. They're all different. The 2216 was capacitor coupled, whilst the
2216B and 2218 were both direct coupled (ie: split rails).

Hi Trevor, thank you for your input.

My above comment about "commonality" was based on a "modular" hunch. I
spent many years designing electro-mechanical packaging, and most
everything electro-mechanical is designed using "modular"
concepts...revision numbers, etc.

Manufacturers are constantly searching for methods to reduce
engineering and manufacturing cost by using as many common parts as
possible on as many models as possible.

And possibly this hunch paid off...

By following the link above, provided by Tom Bavis, it appears that
the schematic listed for the 2215B is the same schematic.

Granted, I have not checked each and every component on the board, but
it "appears" that it is the same schematic.

If you have a minute, please take a look at it and possibly, given
your Marantz experience, can discern any differences.

The four in-line diodes that are hand-soldered to the back side of the
board are still a bit of a mystery, though...

Thanks again,

Mark

http://dummyload.com/marantz/M2000_2...5B%20SCHEM.jpg

Or possibly used in some integrated receivers ???

**Huh?

I meant to say, "integrated amps"...

[...]

Trevor Wilson

"Marc" wrote in message
om...
This Main Amp board possibly could be common to other Marantz
receivers, such as the 2216B, 2218, or ???

**Nope. They're all different. The 2216 was capacitor coupled, whilst the
2216B and 2218 were both direct coupled (ie: split rails).

Hi Trevor, thank you for your input.

My above comment about "commonality" was based on a "modular" hunch. I
spent many years designing electro-mechanical packaging, and most
everything electro-mechanical is designed using "modular"
concepts...revision numbers, etc.

**A thought which did work with many old Marantz models. Not all, however.

Manufacturers are constantly searching for methods to reduce
engineering and manufacturing cost by using as many common parts as
possible on as many models as possible.

And possibly this hunch paid off...

By following the link above, provided by Tom Bavis, it appears that
the schematic listed for the 2215B is the same schematic.

Granted, I have not checked each and every component on the board, but
it "appears" that it is the same schematic.

**Yep. It is VERY close.

If you have a minute, please take a look at it and possibly, given
your Marantz experience, can discern any differences.

**Nothing substantial.

The four in-line diodes that are hand-soldered to the back side of the
board are still a bit of a mystery, though...

**Yep. I can see no reference in my service manual. A mod, I'd say.

Thanks again,

Mark

http://dummyload.com/marantz/M2000_2...5B%20SCHEM.jpg

Or possibly used in some integrated receivers ???

**Huh?

I meant to say, "integrated amps"...

**Ah.

--