S888Wheel

Default tweaks and proof

From: TonyP
Date: 6/24/2004 3:47 PM Pacific Standard Time
Nousaine wrote:

Bromo
wrote:

On 6/20/04 11:09 PM, in article
, "Nousaine"
wrote:
It's all hand waving with out any specifics. That would be the case here

on
both sides.
Let me ask again. If I'm not mistaken you have said that anything that can

be
heard can be measured or perhaps that was more like 'if you can't measure

difference than there would be nothing to hear' or something similar. I

then
asked exactly what measureable differences would explain amp/cable sound
and I don't recall a response.
Again what should we be measuring to confirm 'amp/wire' sound that we

haven't
already done?

It might be that no one knows. If you notice something - even if 10 people
were to denounce you - it does not mean you know the mechanism, nor are you
the expert on what measurements to make.

So how do they "design" products then .... by making random choices? Are

some
people just lucky? If you would say they "listen" to them for validation

then
I wonder why haven't any of them made listening test validation public?

I often thought that they came up with the hyberbole first, and the
product to fit it second. I remember "Enid Lummey" of TAS fame way back
when. "She" said that having a telephone in the same room with your
system was bad. Something about the diaphram resonating in the phone
causing some sort of acoustic problem.

I don't like having a phone in the room because it tends to ring. the ringing
is very disruptive.

Gee, I thought, and what about
the rest of the stuff in the room resonating?

Well some of it does. I have some trophies that sit on my subwoofer. I have to
take them off when I paly music. They ring like the phone, almost. Very
annoying.

Light bulbs tend to have a
'bright' sound when they are on. A 'darker' sound when off.

I like listening in the dark.

There seems to a be a lot of pseudo science in high end audio.
I remember trying the VPI "magic" bricks about 20 years ago. They were
'suppose' to 'absorb' stray magnetic fields from power supplies along
with 'dampening' a components chassis. The 'absorb' thing went right by
me. The dampening, well, if that were a problem, a real brick is a lot
cheaper. Neither of those 'problems' seemed to effect my system. And
this 'magic brick' was from a company that makes an outstanding
turntable (I own a VPI HW19). Those magic bricks sure looked nice and
were heavy. But work? I can't see how.

Well they can dampen some chasis. Whether or not that makes a differnce in how
the component sounds is another issue. Consider tubed gear for a moment.

S888Wheel

From: "Wessel Dirksen"
Date: 6/24/2004 3:56 PM Pacific Standard Time

From: chung

Date: 6/23/2004 7:47 PM Pacific Standard Time
From: Dick Pierce

Date: 6/21/2004 7:46 AM Pacific Standard Time

Bromo wrote:
People wonder why engineers and scientists don't 'rise up' to
counter the ludicrous belief systems of audiophilia. I suspect
it's because they're laughing too hard.

A professional wouldn't ridicule - just note the observation and
trace it to root cause.

So if someone says 1+1=2.1, do you note the observation and trace it

the root cause?

Ah, but what we were talking about is not that kind of issue.

Excuse me, but it most assuredly is.

No it's not. First math is a language and so one can make irrefutable
assertions. Second, none of the tweaks you name later in this post could

be
debunked by a primary grade school student, 1+1=2.1 certainly can and no
proof
is required.

Wrong. Just about all those can be debunked by DBT's. Primary grade
students can be great testers and testees of DBT's.

Balony. Legityimate audio DBTs are way beyond the vast majority of grade

school
kids. You might find the occassional exception. Arithmatic is a basic grade
school skill. Big diffference.

Baloney? Really?

Yes

"If you hear . . . push the button A or B"
Grade school kids have learned less, (especially about scepticism) and have
excellent hearing.
A simpler intelligence and less accumulation of comparitive knowlegde in
order to form a bias are a good thing for a simple blind test.

Well for kicks I asked a couple grader school kids if they saw anything wrong
with 1+1=2.1. They did, eeach and every one of them. I then asked them if they
could debunk the green pen CD myth using ABX DBTs. They looked at me like I was
from Mars. Truth.

The
confounding interpretation of our smart but very emotional brains are what
is at issue here.

chung

From: chung
Date: 6/24/2004 9:24 AM Pacific Standard Time

From:
(Dick Pierce)
Date: 6/23/2004 4:15 PM Pacific Standard Time
(S888Wheel) wrote in message
And the aviation engineer thought that Japanese zero planes were
aerodynamically impossible.

Don't forget Bumblebees can't fly by modern aerodynamic sciences.

And with these two "citations," we begin now to understand what
really is wrong with the high-end audio realm.

Oh I get it.

No, you don't get it.

Yes I did.

I don't think so.

I think you are mistaken

If people didn't say that bumblebees can't fly and didn't say that
Japanese zeros weren't aerodynamically impossible all would be well with
the
high end industry.

If that's what you "got," you most assuredly didn't "get it."

If this is your response then you didn't get it when you read my post.

What we really begin to see is what is wrong with proof by
analogy.

Now, what we see is proof by WRONG anaology. What we see is
argument by strawman.

I would agree that your proofs by bad analogy were pretty much straw man
arguments.

Maybe you didn't really get the fact that Bromo doesn't believe that
bumblebees can't fly.

No, what YOU don't get is that science provides an answer that Bromo
doesn't like.

Like I said, you didn't get the fact that Bromo doesn't believe that

bumblebees
can't fly.

Whether Mr. Bromo believes that bumblebees can or cannot fly is not the
issue.

it sertainly is part of the issue.

To suggest that Mr. Bromo might possibly believe that bumblebees cannot
fly is an insult to Mr. Bromo. To suggest that someone might think that
Mr. Bromo did not believe that bumblebees can fly is an insult to that
someone. To think that that is an issue is, frankly, an indication of an
inability to comprehend what was written.

The fact is that Mr. Bromo is using that urban legend to show how
engineers can be clueless, or how scientists can be wrong.

That is the issue. He never did that. He cited it as another urban legend. He
never claimed it proved anything. Looked like he was just bringing up some
trivia to me.

Everyone else seems to get it correctly, except you.

He is making
the point that engineering can lead to absurd conclusions. I think
everyone else reads that correctly.

I guess we will have to let Bromo tell us why he mentioned it,

It was obvious why he mentioned it, to everyone else.

So, rather than ever entertain the possibility that
HE'S wrong, he'll dredge up some tired, worn, overused nonsense
urban legend as a means of impugning the science he doesn't like.

Um no, he simply brought up another urban legend. He didn't claim it was

true.

He doesn't bother to see whether the "bumblebee" legend has any basis
in fact, rather, it provides a convenient strawman to knock down.

OK. One of us is quite off base here. Looked to me like he was bringing it

up
as a joke.

As a joke intended to ridicule engineering and science.

Reaaaally? he told you this was his intention in a private message?

You can read what he wrote to understand his intention. To suggest that
Mr. Bromo needs to follow up with a private message to explain his
intention is, frankly, an insult to Mr. Bromo's writing ability, and an
insult to our reading ability.

He never
said so on the thread. Not that I saw. Maybe we should leave it to Briomo to
tell us if he brought this urban legend up to ridcule engineering and science.
Gosh, weren't you the one asking where someone else's sense of humor was?

To bring up that urban myth once more, after it has been deconstucted
soundly every time it was brought up here in this newsgroup, is not
something that we would find humorous, especially when its intent was to
show how engineers and scientists can be clueless. Did you find the
bumblebee urban legend humorous?

I find those claims Dick mentioned ridiculous and laughable. But it did
not mean that there was any sense of humor conveyed by those products or
claims.

...snipped...

When confronted with facts, on of their few remaining defenses is
"Well, science proved that bumblebees can't fly."

Indeed, if you believe that is comming from Bromo or from the designers of

high
end audio equipment you didn't "get it" at all.

It's a common position among high-end audiophiles and marketeers that
current engineering knowledge cannot explain claimed sonic differences,

Really? It is common? Of the many marketeers in highend audio, how many and
which ones explicitly claim that current engineering *cannot* "explain"
(meaning measure?) claimed sonic differences? And what does this have to do
with Bromo mentioning the bumblebee urban legend?

Did you read what I wrote?

just like certain engineers could not understand how bumblebees can fly.

This is something you are now bringing to the discussion. Bromo, as far as I
can see, simply cited anotyher urban legend when another urban legend was being
discussed. Did he claim that "certain engineers could not understand how
bumblebees can fly?"

He was suggesting that some engineers came to the conclusion that
bumblebees cannot fly based on science. Was that clear to you?

Hence when no technical explanation is forthcoming, it's simply because
engineering has been found to be deficient.

I think you are reading a lot into what was nothing more than a refernce to an
urban legend.

Well, did you understand why the urban legend was brought up? Right on
the heels of another one that suggested that engineers thought that the
Zero's were not aerodynamically possible?

To call the people who came up with some of the tweaks Dick mentioned
"designers" is an insult to the real designers.

People of all ilks have to endure such insults. In any endevour there are
geniuses and fools and everything inbetween. for the sake of clarity I feel it
is best to call them designers.

And you feel that lumping the fools and the geniuses together as
designers is fair to the geniuses?

What part was designed in shatki stones? Or cable-lifters? You seriously
think that there are designers designing these things?
chung

From: (Nousaine)
Date: 6/23/2004 4:10 PM Pacific Standard Time
Bromo
wrote:

On 6/20/04 11:09 PM, in article
, "Nousaine"
wrote:

[...]

Why would you ask the consumer how the designer opperates? I suggest you pose
those questions to actual designers and let them speak for themselves.

Uh, Tom's intent of asking those questions is to make the consumer think
about the questions.

If you would say they "listen" to them for validation
then
I wonder why haven't any of them made listening test validation public?

Ask the people who know, the designers. After all these years of debate you
should have already considered this.

Again, you missed Tom's intent, which was to make you, the consumer,
think. And question. Despite, or in addition to, what the designers may
(or may not) tell you, the consumer should try to think independently
and use his/her own reasoning skills.

chung

From: "Wessel Dirksen"
Date: 6/24/2004 3:56 PM Pacific Standard Time

From: chung

Date: 6/23/2004 7:47 PM Pacific Standard Time
From: Dick Pierce

Date: 6/21/2004 7:46 AM Pacific Standard Time

Bromo wrote:
[...]

Well, for kicks, I asked a couple of my engineering friends whether they
believe that speaker cables need break-in or have directivity. They
looked at me like I was from Mars. Honest. Then they broke into laughter
when I told them that it is a popular belief among certain audiophiles.

The point, which you seem to miss here, is that to the technically
inclined, a claim like speaker cables needing break-in is just as
outlandish as claiming 1+1=2.1 to a grade school student.

I also don't see any difficulty in grade school students becoming test
subjects of DBT's. That's really the best way to debunk those myths.
They could easily become testers, too. There is nothing that they cannot
learn about administering the test, Besides, there are ABX devices that
act as testers. I think even we can use those.

The
confounding interpretation of our smart but very emotional brains are what
is at issue here.

Glenn Booth

Hi,

In message g5_Cc.116604$Sw.51156@attbi_s51, S888Wheel
writes

Well for kicks I asked a couple grader school kids if they saw anything wrong
with 1+1=2.1. They did, eeach and every one of them.

Did you ask them if they could design a proof that 1+1 does not equal
2.1? That, in my mind, would be closer to equivalence.

I then asked them if they
could debunk the green pen CD myth using ABX DBTs. They looked at me like I was
from Mars. Truth.

Did you ask them if they would be capable of listening to two pieces of
music and then commenting on any differences they heard? Again, that
seems to me to be a closer equivalent.

Your questions were loaded.

--
Regards,
Glenn Booth

Chelvam

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message
On 22 Jun 2004 23:11:47 GMT, "Chelvam" wrote:

...snip...snip..

That is of course quite a different matter, as with the bumblebee
(which is another urban myth never actually tracked down).
--

See quotes below:-

1. When insect wings are placed in a wind tunnel and tested over the range
of air velocities that they encounter when flapped by the animal, the
measured forces are substantially smaller than those required for active
flight .

2. Thus, something about the complexity of the flapping motion increases the
lift produced by a wing above and beyond that which it could generate at
constant velocity or that can be predicted by standard aerodynamic theory.

3.The failure of conventional steady-state theory has prompted the search
for unsteady mechanisms that might explain the high forces produced by
flapping wings.

4.In any event, this exercise indicates that while a theory of insect flight
based purely on translation could not explain the complex time history of
forces generated by hoverfly kinematics,.......

see here for more
http://www.physics.ohio-state.edu/~w...cs/fly/fly.htm
l#RF3

Maybe the urban myth is not a myth afterall. It is probably an unanswered
question of curious minds. Just like us (meaning people like me who neither
dismiss nor accept tweaks), we witness certain things. yes many of us failed
the dbt (ok all of us). But how then do you explain our ability to show
preference for certain Amp or CD player over a period of time listening at
our own leisure in our sweet spot.

There can't be an industry worth almost $3 billion based on myth. The so
called inferior High End products had their slow death. Seen any belt driven
CD Player lately? The good products survived.

My 2 cents

p.s Resend. Earlier post is missing.

Stewart Pinkerton

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 17:43:02 GMT, "Chelvam"
wrote:

Maybe the urban myth is not a myth afterall. It is probably an unanswered
question of curious minds. Just like us (meaning people like me who neither
dismiss nor accept tweaks), we witness certain things. yes many of us failed
the dbt (ok all of us). But how then do you explain our ability to show
preference for certain Amp or CD player over a period of time listening at
our own leisure in our sweet spot.

Simple, really - it's a *sighted* test, and therefore worthless for
the determination of subtle diffrences. This is easily proven.

There can't be an industry worth almost $3 billion based on myth.

Sure there is - it's called 'audio' cable.

The so
called inferior High End products had their slow death. Seen any belt driven
CD Player lately? The good products survived.

Unfortunately Wadia, Audio Note et al do still exist............

My 2 cents

Infinitely overpriced - typical high end product! :-)

Steven Sullivan

Chelvam wrote:
[...]

No, sir, the 'urban myth' is that scientists ever believed that
bumblebees shouldn't be able to fly, or 'couldn't fly'. NO ONE has ever
claimed that insect flight has been completely understood.
But if you want to use the 'mystery' of insect flight as an analogy to
audio, you have to demonstrate that similar mysteries in audio
*actually exist* (as insect flight quite demonstrably exists).

The 'ability to show preference for certain amp or CD players'
is trivially easy to explain if the 'preference' is based on
sighted comparisons. "preference' can be established under
such condidtions even between two components that
are *exactly the same*.

There can't be an industry worth almost $3 billion based on myth.

Wanna bet? THe lottery industry takes in far more than that,
and it's based entirely on the idea of 'lucky numbers'.
Quack health and weight-loss notrums also take in far
more than the high-end industry.

The so
called inferior High End products had their slow death. Seen any belt driven
CD Player lately? The good products survived.

There were only *EVER* very few blet-0drive CD players marketed,
and there ARE still some on the market..and not cheap either.

http://www.burmester.de/english/prod...layer-001.html

My 2 cents

Overvalued at that price, I fear.

--

-S.
Why don't you just admit that you hate music and leave people alone. --

chung

Chelvam wrote:
[...]

The urban myth is that there was this engineer/scientist who did the
calculations to conclude that bumblebees could not possibly fly.

The correct engineering position is that current state of knowledge may
not allow us to fully model the complex flight behavior of the bumblebee.

See the difference?

It is probably an unanswered
question of curious minds. Just like us (meaning people like me who neither
dismiss nor accept tweaks), we witness certain things. yes many of us failed
the dbt (ok all of us).

Let's see if we could really tell there are sonic differences first,
before saying that science fails to explain.

But how then do you explain our ability to show
preference for certain Amp or CD player over a period of time listening at
our own leisure in our sweet spot.

Many different factors lead to preferences.

How do you explain why people believe that green pens, or Shatki stones,
makes a difference?

There can't be an industry worth almost $3 billion based on myth.

Is there a $3 billion high-end industry? Does that include the sale of
speakers? Where did you get that figure?

How big is the psychics industry?

The so
called inferior High End products had their slow death. Seen any belt driven
CD Player lately? The good products survived.

My 2 cents

p.s Resend. Earlier post is missing.

S888Wheel

From: chung
Date: 6/25/2004 11:32 AM Pacific Standard Time
From:
(Nousaine)
Date: 6/23/2004 4:10 PM Pacific Standard Time
Bromo
wrote:

On 6/20/04 11:09 PM, in article
, "Nousaine"
wrote:

[...]

It seems that when many consumers do so the objectivists get very upset with
any eroneous conclusions they may draw. The question is better answered by the
designers and the consumer is better served if the answers come form the
designers.

If you would say they "listen" to them for validation
then
I wonder why haven't any of them made listening test validation public?

Ask the people who know, the designers. After all these years of debate you
should have already considered this.

Again, you missed Tom's intent, which was to make you, the consumer,
think. And question.

I think I get his intent. It looks very much like a shell game played on
consumers who are not technically qualified to discuss such issues. I think Tom
is just waiting for one subjectivbist to give a technically inept answer so he
can pounce on that person. The fact is it doesn't matter what answer he gets
from the consumer. The question is one that should be posed to the designer.

Despite, or in addition to, what the designers may
(or may not) tell you, the consumer should try to think independently
and use his/her own reasoning skills.

Well some often do. They get smacked around in RAHE for doing so sometimes.

S888Wheel

From: chung
Date: 6/25/2004 11:57 AM Pacific Standard Time

From: "Wessel Dirksen"

Date: 6/24/2004 3:56 PM Pacific Standard Time

From: chung

Date: 6/23/2004 7:47 PM Pacific Standard Time
From: Dick Pierce

Date: 6/21/2004 7:46 AM Pacific Standard Time

Bromo wrote:
[...]

Are these engineering friends grade school kids? Did you forget the point that
was being made?

The point, which you seem to miss here, is that to the technically
inclined, a claim like speaker cables needing break-in is just as
outlandish as claiming 1+1=2.1 to a grade school student.

That point was never made before. If you wish to change the point to that point
fine. But then there would be no need for you to argue that grade school kids
could just as easily proctor ABX DB listening tests as easily as they can do
basic math. No?

I also don't see any difficulty in grade school students becoming test
subjects of DBT's.

I don't either but that doesn't make them the people doing the debunking.

That's really the best way to debunk those myths.

Fine. I think the grade school kids that can do this on thier own are the
exception not the rule.

They could easily become testers, too.

Easily? Not likely. But yes, some excpetional grade school students can and
have done so. It was not the same as figuring out 1+1 does not equal 2.1.

There is nothing that they cannot
learn about administering the test, Besides, there are ABX devices that
act as testers. I think even we can use those.

The
confounding interpretation of our smart but very emotional brains are what
is at issue here.

Rich.Andrews

"Chelvam" wrote in

[...]

~wilkins/writing/Assign/topics/fly/fly.
htm l#RF3

Maybe the urban myth is not a myth afterall. It is probably an
unanswered question of curious minds. Just like us (meaning people like
me who neither dismiss nor accept tweaks), we witness certain things.
yes many of us failed the dbt (ok all of us). But how then do you
explain our ability to show preference for certain Amp or CD player over
a period of time listening at our own leisure in our sweet spot.

There can't be an industry worth almost $3 billion based on myth. The so
called inferior High End products had their slow death. Seen any belt
driven CD Player lately? The good products survived.

My 2 cents

p.s Resend. Earlier post is missing.

The whole issue about the bumblebee and aerodynamics is explained at
http://www.keelynet.com/interact/archive/00001691.htm

The short version is that many years ago (1930's) the then current model
for flight didn't fit the bumblebee and other insects. A sciencephobe
stated that science is a crock since it proved (with their then current
model of aerodynamics) that it can't. At any rate, when the truth was
exposed that there are many different ways to predict flight and many
models, that wasn't newsworthy and as such, did not get the attention it
deserved, so the myth continues to this day.

Bromo

On 6/27/04 1:50 AM, in article uetDc.103189$Hg2.562@attbi_s04, "Stewart
Pinkerton" wrote:

The so
called inferior High End products had their slow death. Seen any belt driven
CD Player lately? The good products survived.

Unfortunately Wadia, Audio Note et al do still exist............

Why is it unfortunate that Wadia and Audio Note exist? Because they use
belt driven transports (I didn't think they did - at least Wadia) or that
they are not popular amongst the people with less means?

Bromo

On 6/27/04 1:51 AM, in article FftDc.99337$2i5.10037@attbi_s52, "S888Wheel"
wrote:

Ask the people who know, the designers. After all these years of debate you
should have already considered this.

Again, you missed Tom's intent, which was to make you, the consumer,
think. And question.

I think I get his intent. It looks very much like a shell game played on
consumers who are not technically qualified to discuss such issues. I think
Tom
is just waiting for one subjectivbist to give a technically inept answer so he
can pounce on that person. The fact is it doesn't matter what answer he gets
from the consumer. The question is one that should be posed to the designer

I believe that it is a mistake for someone who hears a difference,
scientist, consumer or designer, unless really skilled in the art, to offer
and "explanation" - because invariably a debunker will be able to refute the
explanation (only proving the someone in question didn't know why the
difference was noted) and avoid the more difficult and intellectually
important task of proving or disproving the observation.

Reminds me of the debunkers that debunk astrology - they gather a bunch of
people in a room and hand out the same "horoscope" or "personality profile"
to everyone - and everyone agrees it was spot-on at which point it is
revealed they were duped. The TV show this appears on concludes with a
"well, that about washes it up for astrology." They sometimes go on to an
astrologer and ask them how it works - the astrologer mumbles something
about gravitational influence or something - cut back to the debunker who on
a whiteboard or display shows how that couldn't possible be true with
further conclusions "well, astrology mustn't work then." What have they
proven? That people are gullible, and astrologers have no clue as to why
what they do could possibly work. Now, whether you think astrology works or
not is immaterial - the rigor by the people debunking it does no service to
the cause of light and science - because all the astrologers have to say
then is "we don't know why it works but it does" - and "people are gullible,
but it doesn't mean we are cheating them." They would be correct, and the
debunker has to begin all over again - and would be counting on the lasting
impression on the same 'gullible people' exposed during the show.

Why all this garbage about the thoroughly debunked and disproven waste o'
time, Astrology? Because A similar level of non-rigor is shown by the high
end debunkers - and it begs the question if the debunkers are holding "a
position" every bit as stubbornly by insisting that "nothing matters" as
those that insist that "everything matters."
Bromo

On 6/27/04 9:54 AM, in article , "Rich.Andrews"
wrote:

The whole issue about the bumblebee and aerodynamics is explained at
http://www.keelynet.com/interact/archive/00001691.htm

The short version is that many years ago (1930's) the then current model
for flight didn't fit the bumblebee and other insects. A sciencephobe
stated that science is a crock since it proved (with their then current
model of aerodynamics) that it can't. At any rate, when the truth was
exposed that there are many different ways to predict flight and many
models, that wasn't newsworthy and as such, did not get the attention it
deserved, so the myth continues to this day.

It illustrates though, at any point, it is possible to apply the wrong
theory, or to not be open to see if a dearly held belief is incorrect.

chung

wrote:

[...]

Now let's give a counter example to illustrate how you are wrong. SACD
and CD versions of the same recording were sometimes assumed to be
mastered identically and any superiority of the sound clearly due to the
better technical specs of DSD. Recently people noticed that on some
Telarc recording, the two versions sound different.

Careful inspection of the CD wave files shows digital clipping. This
clearly indicates an intentional compression on the CD by the mastering
engineer. Follow-up emails to Telarc confirm this.

So here is an example that shows people hear differences, and were able
to provide an explanation that runs counter to the popular notion that
the two versions are mastered the same way, or that DSD has to be
superior. Now, Mr. Bromo, why don't you try to refute this explanation?

By the way, Norm Strong provided a link to this incident a few days ago.

Glenn Booth

Hi,

In message , Bromo
writes

I believe that it is a mistake for someone who hears a difference,
scientist, consumer or designer, unless really skilled in the art, to offer
and "explanation" - because invariably a debunker will be able to refute the
explanation (only proving the someone in question didn't know why the
difference was noted) and avoid the more difficult and intellectually
important task of proving or disproving the observation.

Surely all that is required of those that 'hear a difference' is to
demonstrate that they do indeed 'hear a difference'.

Once that is done, provided the test was valid and repeatable, it can be
asserted that 'the tweak' (whatever that is) actually does make a
difference. Then it can be palmed off to the scientists to ask *why* it
makes a difference. It is not necessary for one who believes in a
particular tweak's effect to both hear it and explain it - they just
have to show that they really hear it.

This is where it all falls down of course, as valid test results for
many tweaks (such as cable sound) remain absent.

Why all this garbage about the thoroughly debunked and disproven waste o'
time, Astrology? Because A similar level of non-rigor is shown by the high
end debunkers - and it begs the question if the debunkers are holding "a
position" every bit as stubbornly by insisting that "nothing matters" as
those that insist that "everything matters."

Actually I believe the opposite. Some objectivists have tried very hard
to be rigorous in their testing, sometimes at large personal expense. It
seems the more rigorous the test, the greater the chance that claimed
differences will disappear. Bear in mind that only one person has to
demonstrate that they can reliably hear, for example 'cable sound' and
*all* the debunkers are out of business. The stubbornness would
disappear pretty fast if that one person showed up.

--
Regards,
Glenn Booth
chung

From: chung
Date: 6/25/2004 11:57 AM Pacific Standard Time

From: "Wessel Dirksen"

Date: 6/24/2004 3:56 PM Pacific Standard Time

From: chung

Date: 6/23/2004 7:47 PM Pacific Standard Time
From: Dick Pierce

Date: 6/21/2004 7:46 AM Pacific Standard Time

Bromo wrote:
[...]

Do you know of any engineers who are grade school kids?

Did you forget the point that
was being made?

Whose point?

The point, which you seem to miss here, is that to the technically
inclined, a claim like speaker cables needing break-in is just as
outlandish as claiming 1+1=2.1 to a grade school student.

That point was never made before.

That point should have been obvious from my post and Dick's post to Mr.
Bromo, who allegedly is an engineer. Do you agree with the point?

You can just scroll up and read the dialogs.

To which I wrote:

"Wrong. Just about all those can be debunked by DBT's. Primary grade
students can be great testers and testees of DBT's."

To which, you then replied "Balony".

I told you that grade school kids could become DBT testees and testers.
I was not arguing with you whether it was easier to debunk 1+1=2.1 or
debunk some of those myths. I was pointing out to you your mistaken
belief that none of the tweaks can be debunked by a primary school
student. You were the one who was trying to disprove my
point by *comparing the difficulties* of the two debunking tasks.
Which one was easier was not the issue. The issue is whether grade
school students can do these things at all.

As an aside, to constuct a mathematical proof that 1+1 does not equal
2.1 requires understanding what a mathematical proof means. I would
venture that this understanding is not common among primary school
students. And BTW, how can you debunk something if you don't supply
proof (you said no proof is required). On the other hand, learning to
become a DBT testee or subject is easy and intuitive. No math skills or
science skills are required. Learning to run a DBT is certainly within
the capability of most primary school students. Then there is the
electronic ABX tester available. These kids can take part in DBT's
simply by visiting Arny Krueger's website.

I also don't see any difficulty in grade school students becoming test
subjects of DBT's.

I don't either but that doesn't make them the people doing the debunking.

It's the results of the DBT's that effectively debunk those myths. As
you seem to agree in your next sentence. These kids are excellent test
subjects, with their superior hearing.

That's really the best way to debunk those myths.

Fine. I think the grade school kids that can do this on thier own are the
exception not the rule.

On their own, they are unlikely to even have heard of those claims. But
understanding what a DBT can do is certainly within the capability of
these students.

They could easily become testers, too.

Easily? Not likely. But yes, some excpetional grade school students can and
have done so.

Have you been to Arny Kreuger's website? You can be taking a DBT in a
couple of minutes. You can download the software and run your own DBT tests.

It was not the same as figuring out 1+1 does not equal 2.1.

You were the only one who seems to really want to compare the two tasks.

There is nothing that they cannot
learn about administering the test, Besides, there are ABX devices that
act as testers. I think even we can use those.

S888Wheel

From: chung
Date: 6/25/2004 11:26 AM Pacific Standard Time
From: chung

Date: 6/24/2004 9:24 AM Pacific Standard Time

From:
(Dick Pierce)
Date: 6/23/2004 4:15 PM Pacific Standard Time
(S888Wheel) wrote in message
[...]

It wouldn't be the first time that Bromo has been insulted on RAHE IMO.

To suggest that someone might think that
Mr. Bromo did not believe that bumblebees can fly is an insult to that
someone.

Sometimes the facts can be insulting.

To think that that is an issue is, frankly, an indication of an
inability to comprehend what was written.

Well That is a matter of oipinion. We still haven't heard from Bromo on this
one.

The fact is that Mr. Bromo is using that urban legend to show how
engineers can be clueless, or how scientists can be wrong.

That is the issue. He never did that. He cited it as another urban legend.

He
never claimed it proved anything. Looked like he was just bringing up some
trivia to me.

Everyone else seems to get it correctly, except you.

Reaaally? That is Bromo's call isn't it? He cited it and he knows what his
intentions were.

He is making
the point that engineering can lead to absurd conclusions. I think
everyone else reads that correctly.

I guess we will have to let Bromo tell us why he mentioned it,

It was obvious why he mentioned it, to everyone else.

It was Bromo's comment and he *knows* what his intent was. It may have seemed
obvious to you and a couple other people but those opinions are hardly the
arbitrators of fact.

So, rather than ever entertain the possibility that
HE'S wrong, he'll dredge up some tired, worn, overused nonsense
urban legend as a means of impugning the science he doesn't like.

Um no, he simply brought up another urban legend. He didn't claim it was
true.

He doesn't bother to see whether the "bumblebee" legend has any basis
in fact, rather, it provides a convenient strawman to knock down.

OK. One of us is quite off base here. Looked to me like he was bringing

it
up
as a joke.

As a joke intended to ridicule engineering and science.

Reaaaally? he told you this was his intention in a private message?

You can read what he wrote to understand his intention.

I read what he wrote. I did not see any intention to ridicule science and
engineering.

To suggest that
Mr. Bromo needs to follow up with a private message to explain his
intention is, frankly, an insult to Mr. Bromo's writing ability, and an
insult to our reading ability.

We will have to see what Mr. Bromo has to say about his intentions. Sorry you
feel so sensitive about this though. I don't see how my reading his comments as
I did was an insult to your reading ability. Unless I missed something, the
*only* thing he did was mention the urban legend. Mentioning an urban legend is
hardly an inherent attack on science and engineering.

He never
said so on the thread. Not that I saw. Maybe we should leave it to Briomo

tell us if he brought this urban legend up to ridcule engineering and

science.
Gosh, weren't you the one asking where someone else's sense of humor was?

To bring up that urban myth once more, after it has been deconstucted
soundly every time it was brought up here in this newsgroup, is not
something that we would find humorous,

That is the problem for those lacking the sense of humor to find it humorous.
Not the problem of those bringing up the urban legend.

especially when its intent was to
show how engineers and scientists can be clueless.

Can you read minds? How do you know for a fact that was Bromo's intent?

Did you find the
bumblebee urban legend humorous?

Every time I hear it.

I find those claims Dick mentioned ridiculous and laughable.

Oh, so you are the arbitrator of humor now. That is funny.

But it did
not mean that there was any sense of humor conveyed by those products or
claims.

And your point is?

...snipped...

When confronted with facts, on of their few remaining defenses is
"Well, science proved that bumblebees can't fly."

Indeed, if you believe that is comming from Bromo or from the designers

of
high
end audio equipment you didn't "get it" at all.

It's a common position among high-end audiophiles and marketeers that
current engineering knowledge cannot explain claimed sonic differences,

Really? It is common? Of the many marketeers in highend audio, how many and
which ones explicitly claim that current engineering *cannot* "explain"
(meaning measure?) claimed sonic differences? And what does this have to do
with Bromo mentioning the bumblebee urban legend?

Did you read what I wrote?

Yes, can you answer the question?

just like certain engineers could not understand how bumblebees can fly.

This is something you are now bringing to the discussion. Bromo, as far as

can see, simply cited anotyher urban legend when another urban legend was

being
discussed. Did he claim that "certain engineers could not understand how
bumblebees can fly?"

He was suggesting that some engineers came to the conclusion that
bumblebees cannot fly based on science. Was that clear to you?

No. Lets see the quote in context of what *Bromo* said about Bumblebees. Hey,
maybe I missed something. All I saw from Bromo was a reference to the urban
legend.

Hence when no technical explanation is forthcoming, it's simply because
engineering has been found to be deficient.

I think you are reading a lot into what was nothing more than a refernce to

an
urban legend.

Well, did you understand why the urban legend was brought up?

Are you claiming to know what was in Bromo's mind? He did not say *why* he
brought it up in any post I read.

Right on
the heels of another one that suggested that engineers thought that the
Zero's were not aerodynamically possible?

Sometimes when you try to read between the lines you see things that aren't
there. Maybe I missed something but *only* Bromo can tell us exactly what his
intentions were. They were *not* explicitely stated as you claim to see them.
You are reading into his posts and claiming that what you are reading into
those posts were his intentions. You don't *know* that.

To call the people who came up with some of the tweaks Dick mentioned
"designers" is an insult to the real designers.

People of all ilks have to endure such insults. In any endevour there are
geniuses and fools and everything inbetween. for the sake of clarity I feel

it
is best to call them designers.

And you feel that lumping the fools and the geniuses together as
designers is fair to the geniuses?

Are you going to be the arbitrator of who the fools and geniuses are? Are you
so brilliant that you can make that determination for the world?

What part was designed in shatki stones? Or cable-lifters? You seriously
think that there are designers designing these things?

I think you have to ask the designers. I really don't know anything about
Shatki stones or cable filters. I cannot tell you if there was any design
involved.

Bromo

On 6/27/04 1:50 AM, in article 6ftDc.99335$2i5.68257@attbi_s52, "chung"
wrote:

But how then do you explain our ability to show
preference for certain Amp or CD player over a period of time listening at
our own leisure in our sweet spot.

Many different factors lead to preferences.

How do you explain why people believe that green pens, or Shatki stones,
makes a difference?

People are gullible. Because some people believe wrongly, does not extend
to everyone you disagree with.

If I think that pigs can fly - does not mean that airplanes won't.

Bromo

On 6/27/04 1:51 AM, in article ZftDc.103198$Hg2.30463@attbi_s04, "S888Wheel"
wrote:

Well, for kicks, I asked a couple of my engineering friends whether they
believe that speaker cables need break-in or have directivity. They
looked at me like I was from Mars. Honest. Then they broke into laughter
when I told them that it is a popular belief among certain audiophiles.

Are these engineering friends grade school kids? Did you forget the point that
was being made?

While I do not think that cables are directional or need break-in, it occurs
to me that chung has set a rather high bar (properly performed ABX tests) -
so it is curious that he will resort to the anecdote method of 'proof' -
I mentioned my wife observed something - and got piled on by others on this
group for that being a cop-out. I would bring to the group's attention that
regardless of the qualifications of his friends - he is saying his "wife"
thought that it was ridiculous.

Did I mention my wife has a PhD in particle physics? No? It's because she
doesn't - but you see how the qualifications shouldn't validate the "my
friends bust out laughing" or "my wife noticed it from the other room" are
the *same* explanation and should have no bearing.

Bromo

On 6/27/04 1:50 AM, in article QetDc.99332$2i5.90921@attbi_s52, "Steven
Sullivan" wrote:

No, sir, the 'urban myth' is that scientists ever believed that
bumblebees shouldn't be able to fly, or 'couldn't fly'. NO ONE has ever
claimed that insect flight has been completely understood.

Of course everyone knows the bumblebees *can* fly - just that our theory is
inadequate to explain as you said.

The original, broader implications, are that it might be possible that there
are other things that happen that are contrary to our thoeries - i.e. All
the theories say there should be no difference sonically between 20' of 16ga
zipcord and 8' of Kimber 16 conductor woven cable - yet there seems to be
one.

chung

From: chung
Date: 6/25/2004 11:32 AM Pacific Standard Time
From:
(Nousaine)
Date: 6/23/2004 4:10 PM Pacific Standard Time
Bromo
wrote:

On 6/20/04 11:09 PM, in article
, "Nousaine"
wrote:

[...]

Really? It seems like some of the people who came up with the erroneous
conclusions get unhappy when it was pointed out to them why those
conclusions were erroneous. I did not sense any objectivists getting
upset over these erroneous conclusions at all.

The question is better answered by the
designers and the consumer is better served if the answers come form the
designers.

If you would say they "listen" to them for validation
then
I wonder why haven't any of them made listening test validation public?

Ask the people who know, the designers. After all these years of debate you
should have already considered this.

Again, you missed Tom's intent, which was to make you, the consumer,
think. And question.

I think I get his intent. It looks very much like a shell game played on
consumers who are not technically qualified to discuss such issues.

Wait a minute. Tom was asking some very general questions on the design
process. I would think that someone not being very technical can still
give an educated guess. Or start thinking about an answer.

I think Tom
is just waiting for one subjectivbist to give a technically inept answer so he
can pounce on that person.

Can you give some examples of Tom's "pouncing"? If it were truly a
technically inept answer, would you object strongly if someone points
that out?

The fact is it doesn't matter what answer he gets
from the consumer. The question is one that should be posed to the designer.

Why? The consumer should be thinking about those questions, too.

Despite, or in addition to, what the designers may
(or may not) tell you, the consumer should try to think independently
and use his/her own reasoning skills.

Well some often do. They get smacked around in RAHE for doing so sometimes.

Care to cite examples?

Nousaine

(S888Wheel) wrote:

....snips....

So how do they "design" products then .... by making random choices? Are

some
people just lucky?

Why would you ask the consumer how the designer opperates? I suggest you

pose
those questions to actual designers and let them speak for themselves.

Uh, Tom's intent of asking those questions is to make the consumer think
about the questions.

And it assumes that I have not asked designers of high-end tweak products how
they design products.

The answers have been basically obfuscation. None has defined a process.

The "lab"at a wire company was a conference room a single "piece" of electronic
equipment that was idle and the room was empty during my visity. Of course all
by itself that means nothing.... but so do uncontrolled listening "tests."

It seems that when many consumers do so the objectivists get very upset with
any eroneous conclusions they may draw. The question is better answered by
the
designers and the consumer is better served if the answers come form the
designers.

And how many has Mr Wheeler asked? And what were the answers he received?

If you would say they "listen" to them for validation
then
I wonder why haven't any of them made listening test validation public?

Ask the people who know, the designers. After all these years of debate

you
should have already considered this.

Mr Wheeler thinks that I haven't?

Again, you missed Tom's intent, which was to make you, the consumer,
think. And question.

I think I get his intent. It looks very much like a shell game played on
consumers who are not technically qualified to discuss such issues. I think
Tom
is just waiting for one subjectivbist to give a technically inept answer so
he
can pounce on that person. The fact is it doesn't matter what answer he gets
from the consumer. The question is one that should be posed to the designer.

And as an enthusiast Mr Wheeler hasn't asked these questions himself?

Despite, or in addition to, what the designers may
(or may not) tell you, the consumer should try to think independently
and use his/her own reasoning skills.

Well some often do. They get smacked around in RAHE for doing so sometimes.

"Smacked around?" Of whom do you speak?

Stewart Pinkerton

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 03:50:11 GMT, Sean Fulop
wrote:

Michael McKelvy wrote:
"Sean Fulop" wrote in message

And I repeat, we cannot be sure that everything can be measured.

Then you can't be sure it can't be either. Everything I've seen on the
subject says that we have the ability to measure everything hearable.
Unless youhave some proof that the right things or everything isn't being
measured, you're just making a blank assertion.

Yes, but it's an assertion taken for granted by scientists in every
field. It is very uncommon for any scientist to claim "we know
everything about subject X now, finally," or something unprovable like
"we can ascribe a measurable property to every difference we can hear."
There are numerous effects of audio on the person that may not be
captured by current theories about signals and their nature. Obviously
any two signals that sound different will actually be different to some
degree, but simply showing that two signals are different is not the
same as "measurement" of the difference.

In my forty years in audio, I have *never* encountered an audible
difference which was not due to a difference which was trivially easy
to measure. OTOH, there are many *measurable* differences which are
not audible, so I think your point is moot. Also, it's normal for
scientists to start with an observed effect, before looking for its
cause. Until high-end audio tweaks can be shown to produce any actual
effect, there is no cause to investigate.

In science it is common to err on the side of caution, to always presume
there may be more to any subject or field of inquiry, stuff that remains
undiscovered.

It's also common for someone making an extraordinary claim to be
required to provide *proof* of that claim before it's taken seriously.
Compare and contrast with high-end audio 'tweaks'.

I agree with you that ABX can be useful, but since it is known that the
results can be affected by methodology, once again one can never be
certain that the "perfect" ABX-style methodology has been developed.

One can however ne absolutely sure that they are better than any form
of sighted test.

These tests were improved steadily over many decades, which yielded
increasing sensitivity to audible differences that could be detected by
the tests. We cannot be sure we now have the perfect audibility tests
for all domains of sonic difference.

We can however be sure that we don't want to use sighted listening for
the determination of subtle - but real - sonic differences.

Nousaine

wrote:

[...]

Non-rigor? Please; the first bias controlled listening test of amplifiers was
published in 1976 by Floyd Toole ands Ian Masters. Dan Shanefield published
another in 1980. There was another large experiment in 1986 published by David
Clark and Ian Masters. In fact over the past 3 decades more than two dozen bias
controlled experiments have been published. I've conducted and published
results for about 5 wire experiments.

During this time exactly NO High-End manufacturer, distributor or journalist
has ever demonstrated a single experiment that shows that amp/wire sound exists
when subjects are asked to "hear" it with listening bias controlled.

Not ONE. High-end is where rigor is lacking.

chung

S888Wheel wrote:

***snipped due to repetition

Gosh, weren't you the one asking where someone else's sense of humor was?

To bring up that urban myth once more, after it has been deconstucted
soundly every time it was brought up here in this newsgroup, is not
something that we would find humorous,

That is the problem for those lacking the sense of humor to find it humorous.

No, it's not a problem at all. Someone else with a very different sense
of humor may still find this humorous, after reading it so many times
and seeing its deconstruction so many times. But, hey, it's a free country.

Not the problem of those bringing up the urban legend.

Whether it is humorous or not of course is not a problem of those bring
it up.

***snip***

\

I find those claims Dick mentioned ridiculous and laughable.

Oh, so you are the arbitrator of humor now. That is funny.

What's really funny is that you can accuse me of being the arbitrator of
humor because of what I wrote in that sentence.

Speaking of reading minds...

But it did
not mean that there was any sense of humor conveyed by those products or
claims.

And your point is?

The point was in the sentence. In response to your question of whether I
was the one asking about where people's sense of humor was.

...snipped...

When confronted with facts, on of their few remaining defenses is
"Well, science proved that bumblebees can't fly."

Indeed, if you believe that is comming from Bromo or from the designers

of
high
end audio equipment you didn't "get it" at all.

It's a common position among high-end audiophiles and marketeers that
current engineering knowledge cannot explain claimed sonic differences,

Really? It is common? Of the many marketeers in highend audio, how many and
which ones explicitly claim that current engineering *cannot* "explain"
(meaning measure?) claimed sonic differences? And what does this have to do
with Bromo mentioning the bumblebee urban legend?

Did you read what I wrote?

Yes, can you answer the question?

The answer was in the sentences I wrote immediately below.

***snip

Sometimes when you try to read between the lines you see things that aren't
there.

Clearly you have shown that that is the case.

Maybe I missed something but *only* Bromo can tell us exactly what his
intentions were.

Bromo's intentions were there for anyone to see. I can't help it if you
can't see that...

They were *not* explicitely stated as you claim to see them.
You are reading into his posts and claiming that what you are reading into
those posts were his intentions. You don't *know* that.

To call the people who came up with some of the tweaks Dick mentioned
"designers" is an insult to the real designers.

People of all ilks have to endure such insults. In any endevour there are
geniuses and fools and everything inbetween. for the sake of clarity I feel

it
is best to call them designers.

And you feel that lumping the fools and the geniuses together as
designers is fair to the geniuses?

Are you going to be the arbitrator of who the fools and geniuses are? Are you
so brilliant that you can make that determination for the world?

Gee, when did I ever say that? You were the one who said that there were
fools and geniuses...

Of course, what you call geniuses I may disagree, so how could there be
an arbitrator in this case?

What part was designed in shatki stones? Or cable-lifters? You seriously
think that there are designers designing these things?

I think you have to ask the designers. I really don't know anything about
Shatki stones or cable filters. I cannot tell you if there was any design
involved.

So there may not be any designers to ask, no?

Bromo

On 6/27/04 4:17 PM, in article rXFDc.125025$Sw.22327@attbi_s51, "chung"
wrote:

What part was designed in shatki stones? Or cable-lifters? You seriously
think that there are designers designing these things?

I think you have to ask the designers. I really don't know anything about
Shatki stones or cable filters. I cannot tell you if there was any design
involved.

So there may not be any designers to ask, no?

Possible - but that person's lack of knowledge does not mean there were or
were not designers for it.

(Though, as you, I suspect no one really technical... )

Bromo

On 6/27/04 1:59 PM, in article 0WDDc.125386$0y.11109@attbi_s03, "Nousaine"
wrote:

The original, broader implications, are that it might be possible that there
are other things that happen that are contrary to our thoeries - i.e. All
the theories say there should be no difference sonically between 20' of 16ga
zipcord and 8' of Kimber 16 conductor woven cable - yet there seems to be
one.

Actually wire sound has never been demonstrated when any kind of listening
bias
controls have been implemented. Theories from all kinds of wire company
literature claims there are such differences. But even so no one seems to be
able to confirm when asked identify their wires on the basis of sound alone. .

Except when the contacts weren't clean, don't forget.

And when the wire was designed so funkily that the poorly designed amplifier
went into oscillation.

Or when the tube amplifier was OTL and the speaker has a load of the same
magnitude as the amplifier.

Etc.

Etc,

Bromo

On 6/27/04 1:18 PM, in article wjDDc.118970$HG.109026@attbi_s53, "chung"
wrote:

Despite, or in addition to, what the designers may
(or may not) tell you, the consumer should try to think independently
and use his/her own reasoning skills.

Well some often do. They get smacked around in RAHE for doing so sometimes.

Care to cite examples?

A quick perusal of the archives ought to do it - something you should be
very capable of doing.

A few times I posted some items (some right some wrong) people were quick to
point out that I was incorrect, but very few took the time to try to set the
record straight and do a decent job of correction.
chung

wrote:

But how then do you explain our ability to show
preference for certain Amp or CD player over a period of time listening at
our own leisure in our sweet spot.

Many different factors lead to preferences.

How do you explain why people believe that green pens, or Shatki stones,
makes a difference?

People are gullible. Because some people believe wrongly, does not extend
to everyone you disagree with.

But the fact is that if people are gullible like you said, then there is
the possibility that that gullibility could lead to them perceiving
audio differences where there aren't.

No one said that everyone you disagree with is gullible.

If I think that pigs can fly - does not mean that airplanes won't.

Not sure about the relevance of that remark.

chung

wrote:

Well, for kicks, I asked a couple of my engineering friends whether they
believe that speaker cables need break-in or have directivity. They
looked at me like I was from Mars. Honest. Then they broke into laughter
when I told them that it is a popular belief among certain audiophiles.

Are these engineering friends grade school kids? Did you forget the point that
was being made?

While I do not think that cables are directional or need break-in, it occurs
to me that chung has set a rather high bar (properly performed ABX tests) -
so it is curious that he will resort to the anecdote method of 'proof' -

Can you explain how you arrived at this conclusion?

My anecdote about engineers laughing was simply intended to show you how
engineers look at some of these claims. No proof was attempted.

Given that you have misunderstood, no sense in responding to what you
wrote below.

I mentioned my wife observed something - and got piled on by others on this
group for that being a cop-out. I would bring to the group's attention that
regardless of the qualifications of his friends - he is saying his "wife"
thought that it was ridiculous.

Did I mention my wife has a PhD in particle physics? No? It's because she
doesn't - but you see how the qualifications shouldn't validate the "my
friends bust out laughing" or "my wife noticed it from the other room" are
the *same* explanation and should have no bearing.

Glenn Booth

Hi,

In message TgDDc.104735$Hg2.80780@attbi_s04, S888Wheel
writes
From: Glenn Booth
Date: 6/25/2004 3:04 PM Pacific Standard Time

Hi,

In message g5_Cc.116604$Sw.51156@attbi_s51, S888Wheel
writes

Well for kicks I asked a couple grader school kids if they saw anything

wrong
with 1+1=2.1. They did, eeach and every one of them.

Did you ask them if they could design a proof that 1+1 does not equal
2.1? That, in my mind, would be closer to equivalence.

Irrelevent.

I don't think so.

The question wasn't whether or not they could design a proof the
question was whether or not debunking the cited tweaks was as simple as doing
the math for 1+1

Indeed, but all that is required to debunk the tweaks is to take part in
a test, not to design it. An altogether different level of competence
and skill is involved.

Designing a proof that "1+1 is not equal to 2.1" is more akin to
designing a test to debunk a tweak, no? And if our grade school kids are
going to thoroughly 'debunk' the notion that 1+1 is not equal to 2.1,
shouldn't they prove it? Simple assertion isn't going to cut it in
either case.

Grade school kids know that 1+1 = 2 intuitively; they don't need proof
to know the truth of it. In a similar way, a competent physicist, armed
with knowledge of how CDs work, could debunk (e.g.) the 'green pen'
tweak without needing to design a proof; they would simply know that it
could not work by the stated method.

I then asked them if they
could debunk the green pen CD myth using ABX DBTs. They looked at me like I

was
from Mars. Truth.

Did you ask them if they would be capable of listening to two pieces of
music and then commenting on any differences they heard? Again, that
seems to me to be a closer equivalent.

It may seem closer to you but one has to be able to set up and proctor the test
to debunk the tweak.

No, all that is required is the ability to take part in a test. As has
already been pointed out, young people can make very good test subjects,
and the required tests have already been designed.

Your questions were loaded.

Loaded only with the comparison being made between the difficulty of debunking
tweaks compared to the difficulty of doing extremely simple math.

What's difficult about taking part in a DBT? Children start learning to
differentiate between sounds *way* before they ever learn any maths,
even at the 1+1 level. They have the advantage of minimal preconceptions
and the associated lack of expectation bias, so they can be great
subjects. Their superior hearing is an added bonus.

By choosing to employ specific, specialised language in your questions
(ABX DBTs), you were deliberately biasing the outcome, were you not?
It's possible to phrase a question that asks "Does 1+1 = 2.1?" in such a
manner that most sixteen year old maths students would fail to
understand it, but it doesn't prove anything.
--
Regards,
Glenn Booth
TChelvam

"Rich.Andrews" wrote in message ...

snip..snip...

The short version is that many years ago (1930's) the then current model
for flight didn't fit the bumblebee and other insects. A sciencephobe
stated that science is a crock since it proved (with their then current
model of aerodynamics) that it can't.

So, there was a time in history the knowledgeable community lacked the
knowledge to explain many of the day to day events.