Sub_Lover

Default Need Advice on Sub Enclosure

I just bought a sub and the specs say that it needs a 1 cu. ft. box. I
would think that the company would allow for the space that the driver
takes up in the box. Is this a proper assumption.

Also, when I mount my driver should I cut away the carpet that is glued
to the box? In a 1 cu. ft. box should I bother with coating the inside
with a sound deadening spray?

Tony F

"I just bought a sub and the specs say that it needs a 1 cu. ft. box. I
would think that the company would allow for the space that the driver takes
up in the box. Is this a proper assumption."

No. But most subs will have a spec sheet that'll tell you what the basket's
displacement is so you can take that into account when building the box.

"Also, when I mount my driver should I cut away the carpet that is glued to
the box?"

Yes.

"In a 1 cu. ft. box should I bother with coating the inside with a sound
deadening spray?"

I've never used a spray, so I can't comment on that. I've always had
excellent luck with polyfill stuffing.

Tony

--
2001 Nissan Maxima SE Anniversary Edition
Eclipse CD8454 Head Unit, Phoenix Gold ZX475ti, ZX450 and ZX500 Amplifiers,

2001 Chevy S10 ZR2
Pioneer DEH-P9600MP (Just gettin' started)

Kevin McMurtrie

In article .com,
"Sub_Lover" wrote:

I just bought a sub and the specs say that it needs a 1 cu. ft. box. I
would think that the company would allow for the space that the driver
takes up in the box. Is this a proper assumption.

No. There will be volume specification of the driver for different
mounting positions (above or below surface, facing out or facing in).

Also, when I mount my driver should I cut away the carpet that is glued
to the box? In a 1 cu. ft. box should I bother with coating the inside
with a sound deadening spray?

Cut away the carpet so it doesn't bend the sub's basket between the
screws. A thin rubber gasket or a thin cured layer of silicone gasket
on the box works well. Many gaskets creep under high pressure so
re-tighten the screws a day or two after installing.

I haven't tried any kind of spray but you need something to prevent
echoes of the midrange that can get past a crossover.
Vivek Kapoor

I need to know why the sound deadening is to be done (spray, polyfil etc).
Since I assume that the box is used to increase the bass effect.

A THANK TO THE KIND FOLKS WHO SHARED THEIR ADVICE ON SINGING Mack Pro Audio 1 September 3rd 04 10:17 AM
rec.audio.car FAQ (Part 3/5) Ian D. Bjorhovde Car Audio 0 March 6th 04 06:54 AM
Need advice selecting subwoofer, enclosure for a boat Captain Norm Car Audio 2 September 15th 03 07:04 PM
Audio Advice Johnston West Pro Audio 1 August 12th 03 03:10 AM
Enclosure Size & Speaker Placement of Mid Range Sam Carleton Car Audio 0 July 15th 03 03:34 AM