mark

Default Running additional amps?

My current system is running 6 component speakers and a 12" kenwood off of
one amp, this setup is giving me such a crisp sound that i dont want to mess
with it, but i want to add more thunder in my trunk, I was thinking of
adding a 10" sub on its own amp, whats the best method for this? Should i
just add an extra battery in my trunk as well, or there more to it than
that. and should i get a cap. too? (never tried this before so forgive my
noobishness)

mark

MZ

No need for another battery. You just need a power wire, a ground wire, and
a remote wire. The ground can be attached to a metal piece in the trunk, or
to wherever the current amp is grounded. You might be able to simply get a
distribution block for the power wire which will then allow you to "Y" the
power lead into one for each amp. I'm assuming that the wire that's
currently running from the battery to your first amp is thick enough to be
able to handle two amplifiers. For the remote wire, you can simply tap into
the remote wire currently attached to your first amp. Then you're good to
go.

"mark" wrote in message
news
My current system is running 6 component speakers and a 12" kenwood off of
one amp, this setup is giving me such a crisp sound that i dont want to

mess
with it, but i want to add more thunder in my trunk, I was thinking of
adding a 10" sub on its own amp, whats the best method for this? Should

just add an extra battery in my trunk as well, or there more to it than
that. and should i get a cap. too? (never tried this before so forgive

my
noobishness)

mark

mark

thanks for the quick reply.

The power wire that I am currently running is a monster, its hooked up to a
emergency cut off which is mounted on the battery. My current battery is
feeling the hurt from my system. Im not sure if adding another amp would be
just sucking far too much juice from the battery. So far i havent pinched
any pennys when it comes to my car audio, so if i need to run an extra
battery ill shell out the extra $50. but would just running a battery like
that without any way for it to recharge cause the battery to drain too
quickly?

you guys are far more knoledgable than me so if the first idea is still
suggested, i will look into that.

thank you

"MZ" wrote in message
No need for another battery. You just need a power wire, a ground wire,
and
a remote wire. The ground can be attached to a metal piece in the trunk,
or
to wherever the current amp is grounded. You might be able to simply get
distribution block for the power wire which will then allow you to "Y" the
power lead into one for each amp. I'm assuming that the wire that's
currently running from the battery to your first amp is thick enough to be
able to handle two amplifiers. For the remote wire, you can simply tap
into
the remote wire currently attached to your first amp. Then you're good to
go.

"mark" wrote in message
news
My current system is running 6 component speakers and a 12" kenwood off
of
one amp, this setup is giving me such a crisp sound that i dont want to

mess
with it, but i want to add more thunder in my trunk, I was thinking of
adding a 10" sub on its own amp, whats the best method for this? Should

just add an extra battery in my trunk as well, or there more to it than
that. and should i get a cap. too? (never tried this before so forgive

my
noobishness)

mark

MZ

thanks for the quick reply.

The power wire that I am currently running is a monster, its hooked up to

emergency cut off which is mounted on the battery. My current battery is
feeling the hurt from my system. Im not sure if adding another amp would

be
just sucking far too much juice from the battery. So far i havent

pinched
any pennys when it comes to my car audio, so if i need to run an extra
battery ill shell out the extra $50. but would just running a battery

like
that without any way for it to recharge cause the battery to drain too
quickly?

you guys are far more knoledgable than me so if the first idea is still
suggested, i will look into that.

What kind of symptoms are occurring to make you say that it's feeling the
hurt? What kind of car? What amp are we talking about?

An extra battery isn't going to help you out much. In fact, it will be
presenting yet another draw to the alternator. I suggest then that you
first have your alternator and battery looked at to make sure they're in top
condition (some places will do this for free - Autozone may still be doing
it). If they're in good condition, then your best bet may be to upgrade
your alternator or have it rewound.

mark

Its an '03 civic, the amp is a JL audio 500/1. the reason i said that, was
because i left my stereo on while pumping gas once (for about a minute no
longer than that) and two days later my deck started dimming because it
wasnt getting enough power. The battery died, and i jumped it, since then
no such problems. I guess i should just replace that battery then. (like I
said im a bit of a noob with car audio, so i just made assumptions as far as
the whole battery situation)

thx

"MZ" wrote in message
[...]

MZ

Its an '03 civic, the amp is a JL audio 500/1. the reason i said that,
was
because i left my stereo on while pumping gas once (for about a minute no
longer than that) and two days later my deck started dimming because it
wasnt getting enough power. The battery died, and i jumped it, since then
no such problems. I guess i should just replace that battery then. (like

said im a bit of a noob with car audio, so i just made assumptions as far

as
the whole battery situation)

Yeah, the battery may just be on its way out.

FasDeth

"MZ" wrote in message
Its an '03 civic, the amp is a JL audio 500/1. the reason i said that,

was
because i left my stereo on while pumping gas once (for about a minute no
longer than that) and two days later my deck started dimming because it
wasnt getting enough power. The battery died, and i jumped it, since
then
no such problems. I guess i should just replace that battery then. (like

said im a bit of a noob with car audio, so i just made assumptions as far

as
the whole battery situation)

Yeah, the battery may just be on its way out.

3 year old battery .As I remember Hondas have that little battery tray by
the firewall(?).. Get the biggest battery(CCA /SA) that will fit. That
would prob be a starting point.

MOSFET

"mark" wrote in message
Its an '03 civic, the amp is a JL audio 500/1. the reason i said that,

was
because i left my stereo on while pumping gas once (for about a minute no
longer than that) and two days later my deck started dimming because it
wasnt getting enough power. The battery died, and i jumped it, since then
no such problems. I guess i should just replace that battery then. (like

said im a bit of a noob with car audio, so i just made assumptions as far

as
the whole battery situation)

I would HIGHLY recommend buying an Optima Yellow top battery. I remember
the first time I used an Optima battery (9 years ago) and it made a big
noticeable difference in my stereo. It has really low internal resistance
so when the engine is running it saps less of your power (when the engine is
running, your battery becomes a load to your electrical system, this is also
why you don't want two batteries). The other great thing about a Yellow top
is that it can be drained and charged over and over with no degrading
effects. They're expensive for batteries, but IMHO, I consider this the
MOST IMPORTANT electrical accessory in my system (more important than my
caps).

MOSFET

NOBASS NOBASS is offline
Junior Member

Location: Ontario, Canada

I'm with MOSFET/MZ - plus the Civic battery is so small. I had a 1998 Si with only 2 40x4 Kenwood amps and the battery would drop voltage pretty significantly when the car was off. Do you only do short runs in the car? That can affect how well the battery gets charged too.

Check out those Optima batteries - nice stuff.

Mark

mark wrote:
[...]

Hi, Mark.
Your problem is very obvious. Battery can't handle your stereo system
because
of the power wire which is another major current draining from
battery. Battery
is not designed to handle too much current going through power wire.
The power
wire is big fat cable requirs big current going through. Your battery
can't handle another that..

The solution is: disconnect power wire. Connect amp with a normal
+12volt source.

MZ

Hi, Mark.
Your problem is very obvious. Battery can't handle your stereo system
because
of the power wire which is another major current draining from
battery. Battery
is not designed to handle too much current going through power wire.
The power
wire is big fat cable requirs big current going through. Your battery
can't handle another that..

The solution is: disconnect power wire. Connect amp with a normal
+12volt source.

Mark, please don't listen to this guy. He's been trolling this newsgroup
for a few weeks now. During that time, he's exhibited a high level of
ignorance, bias, and racism. If you've got a killfile, he may be a
worthwhile addition.

MZ

Mark, please don't listen to this guy. He's been trolling this
newsgroup
for a few weeks now. During that time, he's exhibited a high level

of
ignorance, bias, and racism. If you've got a killfile, he may be a
worthwhile addition.

Bull****...

Ignorance: "I'm trying to get a bridge sound from a new 600W amp.
Gee...it's totally ****. Bridget sound is really a broken
sound created by the low filter amp."

Bias: "The last thing I need is a bridge speaker system for mass bass
garbage sound. I don't know if
really need that cuz I don't listen much of Hip-hop anyway..."

Racism: " I HATE ****ING SNEAKY CHINESE RACE!!!!!!!! Remember I hate chink!"

mark

I wasnt about to listen to that anyway, id have to take apart half of my car
to take that cable out. Ive noticed that half his posts dont make sense
anyway. Where would I be able to find a diagram of sorts to explain how id
install the second amp to my current system, Correctly?

thanks

"MZ" wrote in message
Mark, please don't listen to this guy. He's been trolling this

newsgroup
for a few weeks now. During that time, he's exhibited a high level

of
ignorance, bias, and racism. If you've got a killfile, he may be a
worthwhile addition.

Bull****...

Ignorance: "I'm trying to get a bridge sound from a new 600W amp.
Gee...it's totally ****. Bridget sound is really a broken
sound created by the low filter amp."

Bias: "The last thing I need is a bridge speaker system for mass bass
garbage sound. I don't know if
really need that cuz I don't listen much of Hip-hop anyway..."

Racism: " I HATE ****ING SNEAKY CHINESE RACE!!!!!!!! Remember I hate
chink!"

ALL amps are equal?? Pug Fugley Car Audio 60 August 17th 04 03:33 AM
Directed Amplifiers Captain Howdy Car Audio 173 December 31st 03 10:42 AM
Ultimate system john Vacuum Tubes 35 December 29th 03 06:48 AM
amps, amps, amps Justin Burns Car Audio 4 August 10th 03 08:28 AM
Tons of stuff to sell - amps, head unit, processors, etc. Ge0 Car Audio 3 August 5th 03 04:24 AM