JohanWagener

Default Calibra Amplifiers

Who is familiar with Calibra's range of amplifiers. There seems to be a lot
of them going second hand and I am interested to know what you guys think of
it. Once again I don't know if it is a South African brand.

Cheers!

Michael \(LS\)

"JohanWagener" wrote in message
Who is familiar with Calibra's range of amplifiers. There seems to be a

lot
of them going second hand and I am interested to know what you guys think

of
it. Once again I don't know if it is a South African brand.

Cheers!

I found their website: http://www.calibra.co.za

I don't know if they're any good though.

Michael (LS)

JohanWagener

Thanks buddy

The Lizard

JohanWagener wrote:
Who is familiar with Calibra's range of amplifiers. There seems to be a lot
of them going second hand and I am interested to know what you guys think of
it. Once again I don't know if it is a South African brand.

Cheers!

They stink.

When I say this, I mean one model looks like a ripoff of Soundstream's
old heatsink design, the next is definately nothing more than a rebadged
"Urban Audio" amplifier. I clicked on a the glyphs for their HCCA
series, and lo and behold, they look exactly like Orion's HCCA's.

Basically, what you're looking at is the latest rendition of
scratch'n'sniff audio. I'm not saying don't buy them, just don't go out
of your way for them. You'll be much happier with more established
companies like Kenwood, Pioneer, MTX, et al. Companies like Calibra tend
to not hang around long enough for you to cash in on your warranty.

--
Lizard

teamROCS #007 / Technical Director / Founding Member *res derelicta*
http://www.teamrocs.com/
Save Farscape http://www.watchfarscape.com

JohanWagener

Thanks. That was some real valuable information. I almost bought one just
now! They are $%^#$% expensive as well. But the average RMS that their range
produce seems to be quite high!?

Soundfreak03

Looks like the old Radion, Urban Audio works, and Targa amplifiers.

You know I actually used to like the Targa amps and subs, call me crazy, Which
I am. For how cheap they sold for they offered alot of bang for the buck in my
opinion. Many a 16 year old kid were pleased.

Les
The Lizard

Soundfreak03 wrote:
Looks like the old Radion, Urban Audio works, and Targa amplifiers.

You know I actually used to like the Targa amps and subs, call me crazy, Which
I am. For how cheap they sold for they offered alot of bang for the buck in my
opinion. Many a 16 year old kid were pleased.

The problem isn't the amps, or the brand. The problem is in their
marketing and reliability. Most of these companies are fly-by-night, so
even though they may offer a one year warranty, they won't be around
when your warranty is up.

The more important thing is that they didn't even attempt to be
realistic on their specs. Granted, there's not "standard" by which amps
are measured, but alot of those brands never put out rated power, at
least not without serious THD.

But, if you install the amps properly and do a proper job of setting
them up, they will rock like any other amp, and nobody will even know
the difference between them and something that costs 20 times as much.

If I'm going to cheap out, I'm not going to go below Kenwood or Pioneer.
My rule of thumb is that if a car audio company has an ad that shows big
breasted hooter-bitches, and no product, then I will not buy from them.

Unless...it's big breasted hooter-bitches that they're selling.