Sub_Lover

Default Infinity Perfect 12.1 Review

This is not a long or bewildered review. I finally received my 12.1
SVC tonight and installed it in a 1 cu. ft. enclosure with poly
stuffing. I was surprised at the amount of bass that this driver and
enclosure puts out. I only have my old setup to compare. I replaced a
3 cu. ft enclosure and a Titanic 1200 12" driver. The Titanic hit
harder but overall the Infinity has tighter bass. The main issue was
trunk space and that is why I made a switch. The Infinity is not
broken in yet so maybe it will improve in SQ and hit. Overall I think
it's a great sounding sub and would suggest this setup to anyone. For
amplification I'm using a MTX 502 Thunder which has plenty of power.
The only down side is that the enclsure has the less expensive speaker
cup with a spring and I already had a wire pull out - I thought I blew
the driver. Please post any questions you might have.

MZ

This is not a long or bewildered review. I finally received my 12.1
SVC tonight and installed it in a 1 cu. ft. enclosure with poly
stuffing. I was surprised at the amount of bass that this driver and
enclosure puts out. I only have my old setup to compare. I replaced a
3 cu. ft enclosure and a Titanic 1200 12" driver. The Titanic hit
harder but overall the Infinity has tighter bass. The main issue was
trunk space and that is why I made a switch. The Infinity is not
broken in yet so maybe it will improve in SQ and hit.

Pssst - subs don't break in. (ears do though!)

Overall I think
it's a great sounding sub and would suggest this setup to anyone. For
amplification I'm using a MTX 502 Thunder which has plenty of power.
The only down side is that the enclsure has the less expensive speaker
cup with a spring and I already had a wire pull out - I thought I blew
the driver. Please post any questions you might have.

Thanks for the review. Where did you end up buying it and how much did it
cost?

Sub_Lover

I bought them from Dynamicaudio on Ebay and paid 250 for both with
shipping. The efficiency ratings on these subs are way off. They seem
to like lots of power and is equal in SPL to my Titanic which had a
90db rating vs. a 96db for the 12.1. I have another install to do in
my Maxima I was going to power the 12.1 with an older Orion Cobalt Blue
that puts out 240 watts. My door speaker amp only puts out 88 watts
per channel vs. my other setup which has a 200 watt per channel amp (PG
Xenon) so the Cobalt may be a good matchup. I guess I'll hook it up
and see what happens I can always swap it out.

MZ

I bought them from Dynamicaudio on Ebay and paid 250 for both with
shipping. The efficiency ratings on these subs are way off. They seem
to like lots of power and is equal in SPL to my Titanic which had a
90db rating vs. a 96db for the 12.1.

As I've pointed out in other threads, that 96dB rating is an IN-CAR rating,
and can't be compared to the others. The fact that it's in-car is
artificially providing a boost to that number.

Chad Wahls

"Sub_Lover" wrote in message
ups.com...
I bought them from Dynamicaudio on Ebay and paid 250 for both with
shipping. The efficiency ratings on these subs are way off. They seem
to like lots of power and is equal in SPL to my Titanic which had a
90db rating vs. a 96db for the 12.1. I have another install to do in
my Maxima I was going to power the 12.1 with an older Orion Cobalt Blue
that puts out 240 watts. My door speaker amp only puts out 88 watts
per channel vs. my other setup which has a 200 watt per channel amp (PG
Xenon) so the Cobalt may be a good matchup. I guess I'll hook it up
and see what happens I can always swap it out.

Cool!!! That's one of the drivers I was looking at for the possible new
vehicle. Another is the JL W3v.2. I was also considering the Titanic like
yours. Can you get by with a smaller box for the Titanic? Have you tried?
Is the 3 cube recommendation for home or car use? For a car you could
probably go smaller and let transfer function do it's work. I would be
curious to know what the Titanic sounds like in the new box, it's a nice
driver and may work well!

Chad

Les

"Chad Wahls" wrote in message

Cool!!! That's one of the drivers I was looking at for the possible new
vehicle. Another is the JL W3v.2. I was also considering the Titanic

like
yours. Can you get by with a smaller box for the Titanic? Have you

tried?
Is the 3 cube recommendation for home or car use? For a car you could
probably go smaller and let transfer function do it's work. I would be
curious to know what the Titanic sounds like in the new box, it's a nice
driver and may work well!

Chad

Chad,

Check out the Partsexpress.com forum and ask about the Titanic there. There
are a couple of real knowledgable folks and then of course some big windbags
there. There is quite a bit of first hand experience with that driver
floating around. Caution though, you of course have the handful of people
that will tell you that it's better than everything else even thrice it's
price, good in every situation, and is unbeatable and if you don't agree
then you become the idiot. (Remind you of anyone from aapls?)
But you know enough to see through those people.

Les

Also, I think the Infinity's really love ported enclosures to get the
efficiency numbers up.

Chad Wahls

"Les" wrote in message

"Chad Wahls" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks Les, I'll check it out, of course looking thru BS filtering eye wear
!

Chad

Sub_Lover

Chad,

I own the original Titanic for home use and love it. The newer
Titianic has a larger Xmax and is designed for a smaller enclosure.
I've heard them and they will shake your car or truck with globs of
nice tight bass. However, they are more expensive then the 12.1 and I
was buying 2. However, this is not a huge difference. I paid 250.00
and 2 Titanic would have cost 340.00 The Titanic will play in a 1.173
box which is still pretty small. The Titanic has a fiber cone while
the Infinity has a metal one which is probably better for car
applications. I don't think you could go wrong with either one. The
big thing about subs is to put them in the correct box and to have
enough juice to run them. It would be interesting to hear both drivers
side by side. I have a feeling that the Infinity might be a bit
tighter becuase of the metal cone and more mass on the cone Also I
believe that the Titanic may require more juice to get the same SPL
because the Titanic is rated at 88.6 db.

Chad Wahls

"Sub_Lover" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

WELL

I bought the car yeaterday and have already been scoping it out!!!! It's an
05 Honda Civic Si, Stereo sucks and after one day I'm going nuts without my
XM.

Been happy with Alpine decks so I may buy another as long as the lighting
turns orange (dash color), not much room to mount a square XM unit (roady)
so I may cough up the extra monthly and get a unit with XM built in.

Pulling the amp/seperates/sub/crossover from the truck. Amp is an MTX
PRO400X5, seperates are a/d/s AL6, sub is the truck version JL Prefab with a
10W0 in it. Crossovert is a Chad's bench special with a DC-DC converter at
+/-17V and all Burr-Brown active components, no adjustments other that
level, built for that rig. May have to tweak it for the new cat but all
components that would need to change are socketed.

For now I'm going to build a box around .75 Cube. This seems to accomodate
a broad range of 10's on the market. I'm going to toss the JL 10W0 in there
and see if it works for me, if it does, so be it! Car is small so I want to
stay with a single 10, dual 4 Ohm coils would be great in the future because
the digital section of that amp seems nicely loaded at 2 Ohm.

My only question is to how deep the doors are, hopefully they will
accomodate the a/d/s 6" if not I may have to order thinner Morels.

If the JL does not work out I will have to upgrade. The infinity is on the
list because I LOVED the green Kappa subs, hell, if I could get one of those
NOS-Cheep!

Should be a fun install, the Honda is really put together!!!! Should be more
challenging than the Dakota

Chad