Sub_Lover

Default Poly Stuffing A Sub and Mounting A Driver

1. I'm getting ready to install a sub driver to a sub box. I wanted to
know if I should add any poly fill or accustic stuffing. The driver is
matched perfectly to the box size so would I gain anything by stuffing
the box lightly?

2. Also, can I mount the driver over the carpeting that is on the box?
I guess I can get the carpeting but it will not be that easy to do. I
was thinking of using a silicone type sealer too.

MZ

1. I'm getting ready to install a sub driver to a sub box. I wanted to
know if I should add any poly fill or accustic stuffing. The driver is
matched perfectly to the box size so would I gain anything by stuffing
the box lightly?

In my opinion, no.

2. Also, can I mount the driver over the carpeting that is on the box?
I guess I can get the carpeting but it will not be that easy to do. I
was thinking of using a silicone type sealer too.

Just cut it away with a blade. How is that difficult? Don't use the
silicone. Didn't your sub come with a foam gasket?

Eddie Runner

Sub_Lover wrote:

1. I'm getting ready to install a sub driver to a sub box. I wanted to
know if I should add any poly fill or accustic stuffing. The driver is
matched perfectly to the box size so would I gain anything by stuffing
the box lightly?

some polyfill in the box count hurt anything.
it is awsome for preventing echos...
Its dirt cheap....
go for it...

2. Also, can I mount the driver over the carpeting that is on the box?
I guess I can get the carpeting but it will not be that easy to do. I
was thinking of using a silicone type sealer too.

The carpeting should make a nice seal without using silicone.

Tony F

"1. I'm getting ready to install a sub driver to a sub box. I wanted to
know if I should add any poly fill or accustic stuffing. The driver is
matched perfectly to the box size so would I gain anything by stuffing the
box lightly?"

Stuffing the box with polyfill slows down the air inside the box and will,
in essence, make the box a little larger than without. This CAN boost the
lower frequency extension. It'd probably be minimal and you MIGHT be able
to hear a difference. I've used polyfill in most of my speaker boxes, but
never tried a comparison. I would do it, but that's my personal
opinion...it's not very expensive and doesn't take much time to install.

Tony

--
2001 Nissan Maxima SE Anniversary Edition
Eclipse CD8454 Head Unit, Phoenix Gold ZX475ti, ZX450 and ZX500 Amplifiers,

2001 Chevy S10 ZR2
Pioneer DEH-P9600MP (Just gettin' started)