Bob

Default Passive line driver?

I ordered and rec'd today a PAC LC-1 Remote Level Control and found out
that it does not raise the line level signal as I was expecting it
would, and instead reduces it or at best, outputs the same signal level
that was input. If you look at it you would think that it would
potentially raise the input level by +8 dB since there is a "+8 dB"
mark on it at the 6 o'clock position and a "O db" marking at 12
o'clock. Was I stupid to assume that this meant you would get a +8 dB
increase when the knob was turned fully clockwise?

http://www.pac-audio.com/products/lc.htm

Is there such thing as a passive line driver that can increase the
input signal level (line level). I'm not looking for a huge increase
in output and the 8 db I thought I would get out of the PAC unit would
have been perfect.

TIA!

joe.ker

It does not amplify the signal. it just controls the signal. Think of it as
a volume control, but can only go as high as the signal going into it

--
The Clown Prince of Car Stereo

"Bob" wrote in message

I ordered and rec'd today a PAC LC-1 Remote Level Control and found out
that it does not raise the line level signal as I was expecting it
would, and instead reduces it or at best, outputs the same signal level
that was input. If you look at it you would think that it would
potentially raise the input level by +8 dB since there is a "+8 dB"
mark on it at the 6 o'clock position and a "O db" marking at 12
o'clock. Was I stupid to assume that this meant you would get a +8 dB
increase when the knob was turned fully clockwise?

http://www.pac-audio.com/products/lc.htm

Is there such thing as a passive line driver that can increase the
input signal level (line level). I'm not looking for a huge increase
in output and the 8 db I thought I would get out of the PAC unit would
have been perfect.

TIA!

winkenstein

what you got was esentially a volume control (poitentiometer) that can
be mounted up front for easy adjustment of what ever amp you hooked it
up to, it will not make anything louder,

what you where looking i if i am reading your post correctly is called
a "LINE DRIVER"

i have the audiocontrol brand hooked up in my ride, and i will
recommend that brand out of experience with it.

i know "pheonix gold", and "audiobahn" also make a line driver. check
out e-bay, there are several of them there. i don't know any thing
about the brand "pac" so i cannot vouche for them.

what a line driver does is essentially raise the voltage being
delivered to the amp or amps that it is hooked upto, and you will be
able to adjust the voltage via remote mountable poitentiometer.

Bob

winkenstein wrote:
:what you got was esentially a volume control (poitentiometer) that can
:be mounted up front for easy adjustment of what ever amp you hooked it
:up to, it will not make anything louder,

Thanks. Yes, I found this out.

:
:i have the audiocontrol brand hooked up in my ride, and i will
:recommend that brand out of experience with it.
:
:i know "pheonix gold", and "audiobahn" also make a line driver. check
ut e-bay, there are several of them there. i don't know any thing
:about the brand "pac" so i cannot vouche for them.
:
:what a line driver does is essentially raise the voltage being
:delivered to the amp or amps that it is hooked upto, and you will be
:able to adjust the voltage via remote mountable poitentiometer.

Thanks for the recommendations. Are any of these "passive"? I'll go
out and take a look.

winkenstein

oh yeah, i forgot to add, no i'm sorry, but there is no such thing
available as a passive line driver, they will all have to be hooked up
to 12V power so they will have the raised voltage that they will
deliver to your amp (s).

you've got to have power to enforce power.

i'm sure you know what i'm talking about when i say what i'm about to
say.
you know that annoying jerk that is at every job that tries to tell you
how to do your own job? well if he's not your supervisor or boss then
he's just talking to hear himself talk.
how can you push someone or in this case something (an amp) with out
having a little bit of push yourself (or in this case "itself")

does that make sense?

Bob

winkenstein wrote:
h yeah, i forgot to add, no i'm sorry, but there is no such thing
:available as a passive line driver, they will all have to be hooked up
:to 12V power so they will have the raised voltage that they will
:deliver to your amp (s).
:
:you've got to have power to enforce power.
:
:i'm sure you know what i'm talking about when i say what i'm about to
:say.
:you know that annoying jerk that is at every job that tries to tell you
:how to do your own job? well if he's not your supervisor or boss then
:he's just talking to hear himself talk.
:how can you push someone or in this case something (an amp) with out
:having a little bit of push yourself (or in this case "itself")
:
:does that make sense?

Yes, perfect sense! I had a hunch that I needed 12v power to get more
voltage, but in today's world, yea never know what's out there...I am
constantly surprised by what technology offers up year after year...and
this is coming from someone who is a 20+ year computer professional!

Thanks.

If its passive it can't amplify anything.

If its passive it can't amplify anything.