Default Amp Power for Image Dynamics IDQ10

I am considering purchasing the above sub, but the specs suggest
minimum amp power of 250 watts RMS. That sounds like a helluva lotta
watts. As in it would preclude me from using the sub with most
affordable 5 channel amps. In fact, the guy at the local shop
recommended using an amp with even higher power so it wouldn't have to
operate at full capacity. How seriously should I take that
recommendation? My primary interest is sound quality not SPL. How
much power do I really need to operate the sub effectively?

Thanks for your help!

Kevin McMurtrie

In article .com,
wrote:

I am considering purchasing the above sub, but the specs suggest
minimum amp power of 250 watts RMS. That sounds like a helluva lotta
watts. As in it would preclude me from using the sub with most
affordable 5 channel amps. In fact, the guy at the local shop
recommended using an amp with even higher power so it wouldn't have to
operate at full capacity. How seriously should I take that
recommendation? My primary interest is sound quality not SPL. How
much power do I really need to operate the sub effectively?

Thanks for your help!

http://www.imagedynamicsusa.com/webs...idq10d4v2.html

The efficiency rating isn't bad on that sub. 120W RMS would probably
sound good as long as you don't undersize the enclosure.

Needing an amp with more power than the sub's recommended power limit is
a load of crap. Running an amp at its full rated power doesn't hurt it
one bit. Running a sub past its recommended power sounds bad and it
wears out the rubber surround quickly.
MZ

http://www.imagedynamicsusa.com/webs...idq10d4v2.html

The efficiency rating isn't bad on that sub. 120W RMS would probably
sound good as long as you don't undersize the enclosure.

Nah, it's really not terribly efficient, based on the data they've provided.
It appears that their 90dB rating is an in-car one.

Needing an amp with more power than the sub's recommended power limit is
a load of crap. Running an amp at its full rated power doesn't hurt it
one bit. Running a sub past its recommended power sounds bad and it
wears out the rubber surround quickly.

While I basically agree with what you said, most IDQ owners will tell you
that this sub can handle a lot more power than 250w...

Todd

MZ buddy,

Have you tried fasting yet? Let me know what happened, eh? Here's my email:
--
Todd

MZ

MZ buddy,

Have you tried fasting yet? Let me know what happened, eh? Here's my

email:

What are you talking about?

Todd

Several months back we were discussing whether or not God existed. I suggested you fast
for a day or two and see if God showed you anything.

Now I'm curious as to whether you did it or not.
--
Todd

Tony F

Todd wrote: "Several months back we were discussing whether or not God
existed. I suggested you fast for a day or two and see if God showed you
anything."

The only thing that ever showed up when I fasted was hunger. Then I showed
myself to the nearest food source.

What "god" needs to show YOU is that this was a thread about amplifier power
for a subwoofer, not about "god" and fasting. Thanks for cluttering the
topic with non-relavant information.

Tony

--
2001 Nissan Maxima SE Anniversary Edition
Eclipse CD8454 Head Unit, Phoenix Gold ZX475ti, ZX450 and ZX500 Amplifiers,

2001 Chevy S10 ZR2
Pioneer DEH-P9600MP (Just gettin' started)

"Todd" wrote in message
Several months back we were discussing whether or not God existed. I
suggested you fast for a day or two and see if God showed you anything.

Now I'm curious as to whether you did it or not.
--
Todd

MZ

Several months back we were discussing whether or not God existed. I
suggested you fast
for a day or two and see if God showed you anything.

Now I'm curious as to whether you did it or not.

No, I did not. Do you see god when you fast?

Todd

No, I haven't seen him yet

Just curious about it after that conversation. Certainly don't want to hi-jack a thread
Tony.

Best to all of you!
--
Todd