Posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.audio.tubes
Andre Jute[_2_] Andre Jute[_2_] is offline

Default Come visit Andre's Utopia Kranich

[John Byrns, this is for you:]

On Jan 18, 5:47*pm, Andre Jute wrote:
low stepover, lugged steel, Chalo wrote:

Utopia

I've since bought a Utopia Kranich (Crane) and made three photo essays
of it in the ten days since it arrived:

Photos, description, outfitting:http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/B...ranich%20Drool...

History of Crossframe-mixte and how it works plus something about the
special lugs Utopia uses:http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/B...ranich%20A%20L...

Those gold coachlines on my bike were painted by a man who's 89 years
young and spent almost all of them in the bicycle industry:http://members..lycos.co.uk/fiultra/...ranich%20Meest...

Enjoy!

Andre Jute
When it is time for a man to have a new bike, it is timehttp://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/BICYCLE%20%26%20CYCLING.html

Posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.audio.tubes
Jon Yaeger Jon Yaeger is offline

in article
, Andre
Jute at

http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/B...20Kranich%20Dr

industry:http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/B...Kranich%20Mees
t...

Enjoy!

Andre Jute
When it is time for a man to have a new bike, it is
timehttp://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/BICYCLE%20%26%20CYCLING.html

That's very special, Andre.

What does all of this have to do with tubes, except perhaps the frame??

Posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

On Jan 18, 1:36*pm, Jon Yaeger wrote:
in article
, Andre
Jute at wrote on 1/18/09 1:19 PM:

[...]

What does all of this have to do with tubes, except perhaps the frame??- Hide quoted text -

Jon:

You need to know by now that Andre can't help it. John is his public
water-carrier, amanuensis and apologist and he needs to point that out
as well as gather attention. To this end he will cross-post, lie,
blather and outright lie as the mood suits him.

Remember. That Andre does it (whatever it might be) makes it notable
and of historic importance and value. It is not enough to simply send
John an e-mail and leave the rest of the world out of it.

What a maroon!

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.audio.tubes
Andre Jute[_2_] Andre Jute[_2_] is offline

On Jan 18, 6:36*pm, Jon Yaeger wrote:
in article
, Andre

[...]

John recently mentioned on RAT that he was interested in taking up
cycling. -- AJ
Posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.audio.tubes
John Byrns John Byrns is offline

In article
,

.

industry:http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/B...0Kranich%20Mee
st...

Enjoy!

Andre Jute
When it is time for a man to have a new bike, it is
timehttp://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/BICYCLE%20%26%20CYCLING.html

Hi Andre,

I meant to respond to your earlier post on this subject, thought about
it until it slipped my mind.

Here are my thoughts on what I am looking for, basically something along
the lines of the "English" bike I had in my early teens. Specific
features, high handlebars, and gears in the hub. more recently I had a
"racing" style bike and didn't like the low handlebars derailleur gears.
I don't particularly care for the "Unisex" frame the bike in the first
link below has. I have checked several of the local bike shops asking
about hub gears and they seem to have never heard of such a thing, just
more and more speeds with the derailleur gears, I surely don't need 21
speeds like seems to be the norm.

--
Regards,

John Byrns

Posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.audio.tubes
Jon Yaeger Jon Yaeger is offline

in article , John
Byrns at
wrote on 1/18/09 6:27 PM:

In article
,
Andre Jute wrote:

[...]

That's very nice, John. Do you know the difference between Usenet groups
and personal e-mail? Or what purpose a blog serves?

Posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.audio.tubes
Tom Sherman Tom Sherman is offline

Jon Yaeger wrote:
in article , John
Byrns at
wrote on 1/18/09 6:27 PM:

In article
,
Andre Jute wrote:

[...]

Is that any way to speak to those who are better than us?

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
LOCAL CACTUS EATS CYCLIST - datakoll
Posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.audio.tubes
Andre Jute[_2_] Andre Jute[_2_] is offline

On Jan 18, 11:27*pm, John Byrns wrote:
In article
,
*Andre Jute wrote:

[...]

Surf my web pages at, *http://fmamradios.com/

Horses for courses, feller. The English Roadster is still hanging on,
being made by Pashley in England, and I think Raleigh still sells a
version, even called the "Roadster" in the States, complete with hub
gearbox and a hub dynamo to drive the lights (or at least the front
light).

Good hub gears are made by Shimano under the name Nexus (I have two of
those and very good they are too) or Alfine for the sports versions
and by SRAM. You can see my Nexus-equipped bikes he
http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/B...20Bauhaus.html (down the
page, not where I'm flexing muscles in the summer)
and
http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/B...%20Smover.html
-- it's just the same thing with a stepper motor and a CP added to
make it automatic.

Those bikes, derived from the English roadster, belong to the class of
the so-called Dutch city bike or, in its slightly more sporting
versions, town and country bike. There are American versions by
Electra and Breezer and no doubt others. They both have the same Nexus
hub transmission I have, and the bikes are functionally the same as my
two Nexus bikes.

The guys on RBT will soon come up with suitable bikes across a price
range that should be available by mailorder or even locally. One RBT
contributor ordered an Electra Amsterdam Royal 8 through a Chicago
dealer.

So, yes, what you want, while probably not in the window or even on
the shelf at your local bike store, is made and available and has been
spotted in reliable hands.

Hub gears is a subculture, and so are balloon tyres. Ask if you want
to know anything. I'd be delighted to make a small return for all your
help on electronics over the years, and there is nothing the chums on
RBT like better than spending someone else's money by speccing up bike
for him.

Andre Jute
http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/B...20CYCLING.html
Posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.audio.tubes
Iain Churches[_2_] Iain Churches[_2_] is offline

"John Byrns" wrote in message
In article
,
Andre Jute wrote:

[...]

John. I had a bike like that too, made by Raleight in Nottingham, England.
The gears in a hub are made by Sturmey Archer.

http://www.sturmey-archer.com/

Best regards
Iain

Posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.audio.tubes
John Byrns John Byrns is offline

In article ,
"Iain Churches" wrote:

"John Byrns" wrote in message
In article
,

outfitting:http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/B...pia%20Kranich%
20D
rool...

History of Crossframe-mixte and how it works plus something about the
special lugs Utopia
uses:http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/B...Kranich%20A%20
L..
.

industry:http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/B...a%20Kranich%20
[...]

Hi Iain,

Yes, here in the US Raleigh was the largest selling brand of "English"
bike. I thought Sturmey Archer was long gone, I wonder who owns them
today and where their stuff is built. The eight speed hub is
interesting in that it seems to follow a different pattern than the
three and five speed hubs which appear to be derivatives of the older
Sturmey Archer hubs.

--
Regards,

John Byrns

Posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.audio.tubes

"John Byrns" wrote in message
"Iain Churches" wrote:

John. I had a bike like that too, made by Raleight in Nottingham,
England.
The gears in a hub are made by Sturmey Archer.

http://www.sturmey-archer.com/

Yes, here in the US Raleigh was the largest selling brand of "English"
bike. I thought Sturmey Archer was long gone, I wonder who owns them
today and where their stuff is built. The eight speed hub is
interesting in that it seems to follow a different pattern than the
three and five speed hubs which appear to be derivatives of the older
Sturmey Archer hubs.

Hi John. My own experience is with the five speed only.
How was the eight-speed implemented? Where there four
speeds on one control, and then hi and low on a second?

Iain

Posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.audio.tubes

On Jan 20, 8:36*am, "Iain Churches" wrote:
"John Byrns" wrote in message

"Iain Churches" wrote:

John. *I had a bike like that too, made by Raleight in Nottingham,
England.
The gears in a hub are made by Sturmey Archer.

http://www.sturmey-archer.com/

Yes, here in the US Raleigh was the largest selling brand of "English"
bike. *I thought Sturmey Archer was long gone, I wonder who owns them
today and where their stuff is built. *The eight speed hub is
interesting in that it seems to follow a different pattern than the
three and five speed hubs which appear to be derivatives of the older
Sturmey Archer hubs.

Hi John. *My own experience is with the five speed only.
How was the eight-speed implemented? *Where there four
speeds on one control, and then hi and low on a second?

Iain

The revival of the hub gearbox was led by the Shimano Nexus, which for
practical purposes is eight straight gears, though there is a
perceptible if very small discontinuity between gears 4 and 5; it is
essentially two four-speed boxes side by side but with *a single
rotary control*. The Rohloff gearbox on my new Utopia Kranich is
conceptually two seven-speed gearboxes side by side but again with a
single rotary control.

Andre Jute
http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/B...20CYCLING.html
Posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.audio.tubes

"Iain Churches" wrote:

"John Byrns" wrote in message
"Iain Churches" wrote:

John. I had a bike like that too, made by Raleight in Nottingham,
England.
The gears in a hub are made by Sturmey Archer.

http://www.sturmey-archer.com/

Yes, here in the US Raleigh was the largest selling brand of "English"
bike. I thought Sturmey Archer was long gone, I wonder who owns them
today and where their stuff is built. The eight speed hub is
interesting in that it seems to follow a different pattern than the
three and five speed hubs which appear to be derivatives of the older
Sturmey Archer hubs.

Hi John. My own experience is with the five speed only.
How was the eight-speed implemented? Where there four
speeds on one control, and then hi and low on a second?

Hi Iain,

I don't know, I am just going by the Sturmey Archer link you provided
above. I will have to see if it is possible to figure it out from
Technical Information on the web site, I am curious exactly how the
eight speed works.

--
Regards,

John Byrns

Posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.audio.tubes
Andre Jute[_2_] Andre Jute[_2_] is offline

Default Sturmey Archer, SRAM and Shimano IGH, was Come visit Andre's UtopiaKranich

On Jan 19, 9:30*pm, John Byrns wrote:
In article ,
*"Iain Churches" wrote:

"John Byrns" wrote in message
In article
,
Andre Jute wrote:

[...]

Can someone lay out the relationship between the current hub gearboxes
and the historical Sturmey-Archer, please.

Andre Jute
http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/B...20CYCLING.html
Posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

Wrong group.

Note that a recent Harvard study suggests a connection between
bicycling and erectile dysfunction. Not that it makes any difference
in Andre's case as his problem is more or less related to lack of
blood to the brain due to a swollen head, not his nether regions.
Those haven't seen blood since the 1980s.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.audio.tubes

Andre Jute wrote:

On Jan 19, 9:30 pm, John Byrns wrote:
In article ,
"Iain Churches" wrote:

"John Byrns" wrote in message
In article
,
Andre Jute wrote:

[...]

Good question to those who turn a pedal a bit.

But don't ask me.

Its been about 45 years since I had a bike with a 3 speed Sturmey Archer
gearbox.
And I was such a slow cyclist then......plod plod I went all around the
country dirt roads in the Windsor Richmond area of unpopulated outer
Sydney environs and the Hawksbury River of 1963. I hadn't discovered
speed. What a beautiful uncluttered town Sydney was back then, but all
gone now. I recall marvelling when I pulled the gearbox apart and
re-assembled it.

But now I might not bother with hub gears and I prefer a Shimano
mountain bike rear cassette with 8 speeds 11 to 28, touring de-raileur,
and Shimano compact 50-34 front chainrings, SORA levers. I can
comfortably ride up 12% climbs, and only puff and swear mediumly rather
than wrecking knees by pressing too hard on the pedals at a cadence
that's way too low. Meanwhile I can pedal furiously down hill at 70kph+.

I went for a little 130k ride to Gunning, NSW, last Sunday, and had a
nice cuppa at The Merino cafe.

In the district of Gunning sheep farmers favour Merino sheep and get
silly prices for their prize winning fine wool that finds its way into
the very best Italian suits that hardly anyone could afford unless you
are a prime minister, CEO of a mining company, or the president of the
Shimano Corp. ( The boom in bike sales must be making Mr Shimano
frightfully rich..)

He, he, 8 of 'em in the bunch I rode with went past me up hills on the
way out. I let 'em go. They love wrecking their knees, and act totally
maschistically; I won't let them wreck mine. The bunch of 9 are mainly
young whipper-snappers in their 40s or early 50s still trying to prove
how fast they can ride uphill and blow themselves up without noticing
the bucolic scenery. Then during the return ride they all seemed to slow
and by the 120k mark only one of 'em could barely stay ahead of me, and
I was first to return to the start of the ride. This other dude and I
have frames of steel 20yr+ old; I have the 8 speed SORA, the other dude
has a 6 speed old cluster with lever on the down tube. When fresh, he's
one of the fastest guys uphill though, despite carrying the extra 3Kg of
"old bike penalty". Who said carbon fibre makes you go faster? And
missing from the bunch was a guy of 62 who has an even heavier steel
clunker and he weighs only 65Kg himself, yet he can stay up with all but
one in the bunch. I told him that if he ever changed to a decent carbon
fibre frame he could get the weight down about 5 Kg, and this **would
make** a considerable difference to his speed up-hill. This other dude
he cannot stay with is the local veteran time trial champion and he
wouldn't keep bounding away like a furious kangaroo on a promise.

I'm wondering if you can combine a hub gear set up to perform as easily
as an indexed system but without paying a penalty in efficiency or
weight???

One advantage would be that the hub gears mean the rear wheel spokes are
not "dished" to give room for a cassette. Thus spokes on the "dished
side" don't need to be so tight and hence they'd not break so often.

Hmm, come to think of it, hub gears would make sense for a dirt bike, or
hybrid road-dirt type because the dirt road dust wouldn't be so
difficult to deal with and the rear wheel is inherently stronger for
where you really need it, ie, on dirt roads and bush tracks.

AFAIK, not a single rider in our bunch uses hub gears....
And not one owns a recumbent. Do old habits die hard? Maybe not, and I
even like Brooks saddles.

Patrick Turner.