Brian Huether

Default Studio Projects C1? Thoughts?

In my post about a good vocal mic, someone recommended a Studio Projects
mic. After reading a little bit, seems like this is a great mic (the C1). Do
others feel that this mic can handle all these apps:

1. female vocals
2. room/ambient mic for mic'd guitar cab
3. micing acoustic guitar

thanks!

-brian

Thomas Bishop

others feel that this mic can handle all these apps:

1. female vocals
2. room/ambient mic for mic'd guitar cab
3. micing acoustic guitar

Sure, sounds fine. It will definitely "handle" the above, but it may not
the "right" mic to use for a specific female vocalist, acoustic guitar, or
ambient mic.

"Brian Huether" wrote in message
I should have mentioned I am looking to spend in the $100 - $200 ballpark.

Then good luck finding even a used C1. I think they usually go for a little
over 200 used. Increase your budget. If you're not willing to do that,
look at some of the cheap MXL mics. But you really should up your budget to
include a C1.

Johnston West

"Brian Huether" wrote in message ws.com...
In my post about a good vocal mic, someone recommended a Studio Projects
mic. After reading a little bit, seems like this is a great mic (the C1). Do
others feel that this mic can handle all these apps:

1. female vocals
2. room/ambient mic for mic'd guitar cab
3. micing acoustic guitar

thanks!

-brian

I own a C1 and so far, have compared it side by side with an Audio
Technica 4050 and an Audio Technica 4060....... My favorite mic test
is simply to have someone read text into the mic. This is a familiar
source to the ear, and gives me a good check of freq. response and
'presence', which is what I look for in a good mic.

This was certainly a very limited test, but in this case, with a male
reader, I liked the C1 better than the 4050 as it seemed to have a
smoother mid-range. But the 4060 sounded much better than the C1 or
4050..... It has very smooth response and wonderful presence.

The C1 is a very nice mic, especially considering it's price. Many
think it is among the best of the new 'Cheap' mics... but it won't
replace a really good large diaphragm condenser mic.

J_west

Marcel Dufour

I would also agree that for $200 USD it is a great mic. I have several
in my collection, as well as a few C3 units, and I use them often. Not
a Neumann, but not the same price either. A good solid multipurpose
condensor and among the very best from Shanghai.

EnJneer

I used C1s for a couple of years in the studio and found three things: Out
of the box they are great mics for many uses, they do not sound good on some
(especially some male vocalists, I found), and one of my pair of C1s
degraded quickly over months.

You have to expect some issues when getting mics made this cheaply. I
recommend them, but keep your ear on it. If it starts to sound different,
get it in while the warranty's still good.

Good luck,

Freelance Engineer Producer
(Delete "no.spam" from my e-mail address to reply direct)