Posted to rec.audio.pro
Chris Notton

Default Smaart/Terrasode(Sencore)

Ciao e tutti

Smaart: Do we like it? Is as good at it thinks it is? Do we know what
V6.0 (March) will bring?

The Terrasonde 3C (now Sencore something) seems like a good alternative,
but more expensive. Anyone used that?

Interested in comparisons, reccomendations, horror stories, sticky-buns,
naked ladies, whatever!

Pip pip
--
Chris Notton
Replace "nospam" with my surname to reply by email
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Geezer Sonics

In article ,
Chris Notton wrote:

Smaart: Do we like it? Is as good at it thinks it is? Do we know what
V6.0 (March) will bring?

I like it. It is an extremely powerful tool for equalizing sound
systems. The delay locater function enables accurate establishment of
delay settings for underbalcony speakers or delay rings. It also
provides a way to identify reflections.

I have no idea what version 6.0 will bring.

The Terrasonde 3C (now Sencore something) seems like a good alternative,
but more expensive. Anyone used that?

Interested in comparisons, reccomendations, horror stories, sticky-buns,
naked ladies, whatever!

Two entirely different products. The Terrasonde box is an all in one
analyzer that provides a great deal more than basic spectrum analysis
functions. I have the older Terrasonde box, the ATB+, and find it in
indispensible for all routine testing and adjustment of systems.
Everything from noise level surveys, to speaker polarity, to impedance
sweeps. I use the RTA/FFT functions only for basic eq of non-critical
systems, like 70V distributed lobby, meeting, or conference room
applications. Smaart is always my preferred tool for reinforcement
system equalization.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers

Chris Notton wrote:

Smaart: Do we like it? Is as good at it thinks it is? Do we know what
V6.0 (March) will bring?

The Terrasonde 3C (now Sencore something) seems like a good alternative,
but more expensive. Anyone used that?

SMAART is a tool for live sound and acoustic optimizing. I haven't kept
up with the Terrasonde since Senecore took it over, but I always
considered their products to be more studio-maintenance and test
oriented.

What do you want to do? That might be the deciding factor right there.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers

Chris Notton wrote:
I suppose the simplest way if describing the planned use would be:
documentation of various rooms/halls/environments before & after
acoustic treatment has taken place.

SMAART is good at helping you to figure out what you need to do to fix
a room, so if you used it before treatment and then after, you could
see what you've done. But "treatment" often involves moving walls or
speakers, not just putting up some foam or traps and throwing in a
graphic equalizer. What kind of rooms and what kind of treatment? Will
you be doing the work, or is this for research?

What you want to measure for documentation will determine the best tool
to use. If it's as basic as 1/3 octave response to pink noise at
several places, and RT60, I have a Phonic PAA3 here for evaluation that
will do the job. It will fit in your pocket and costs about $400. If
you want to check out a room and figure out what you'll need to do in
order to optimize it, SMAART is your tool. But it will also do simple
stuff.

Anyonoe done the SIA training?

I took a one day class/demo several years back that Sam Berkow did at a
local studio. It was quite interesting but I've forgotten most of what
I learned because I never used the system. They do teach classes
periodically and if there's one near you, it would probably be worth
taking it to see what it does, and to have someone there who can answer
your "can I do this?" questions.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey

Chris Notton wrote:

I suppose the simplest way if describing the planned use would be:
documentation of various rooms/halls/environments before & after
acoustic treatment has taken place.

If you want to do that, you want to be able to take impulse responses and
do waterfall plots from them.

You can do that with Smaart. I don't know about the Terrasonde.

You can also do that with some of the higher end signal analyzers like
the Ono Sokkis. Some of these turn up used at reasonable prices although
they tend to be heavy to lug around.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Chris Notton wrote:
Ciao e tutti

Smaart: Do we like it? Is as good at it thinks it is? Do we know what
V6.0 (March) will bring?

The Terrasonde 3C (now Sencore something) seems like a good alternative,
but more expensive. Anyone used that?

Interested in comparisons, reccomendations, horror stories, sticky-buns,
naked ladies, whatever!

Pip pip
--
Chris Notton
Replace "nospam" with my surname to reply by email
Sostituisca il "nospam" con il mio cognome per rispondere
}////(*

I haven't used the Terrasonde so I can't comment on it. I have
Smaart V5. Took one of the classes which was hands on. Everyone either
brought a laptop or had one supplied to perform measurements throughout
the class. Jamie Anderson taught that particular class and was very
good at presenting the concepts, especially the transfer function. I
like how one can interact with many processor boxes directly on the
transfer function screen. It makes speaker alignment (delays,
crossover, speaker EQ) very easy for multispeaker systems. In
conjunction with Acoustic Tools one can figure out what is going on
with a room, but as others stated, low frequency room issues aren't
solved with a few wall foams and definitely not EQ. SIASoft's
SmaartLive and AcousticTools are good products.
Just recently went to an all day class on SIM3 from Meyer Sound
which is essentially a dedictated box with lots of switchable gozintas
and gozoutas in addition to the a very complete set of acoustic
measurement tools. SIM3 and Smaart are the only products I know that
have source indepented transfer function measurements. If anyone knows
others, please speak up.

Here is a link you might find useful though it leaves out Acoustisoft
ETF5 and Phonic:

http://www.livesoundint.com/archives...eal2/real2.php

also have a look at Ethan Winer's excellent site:

http://www.realtraps.com

bobs

Bob Smith
BS Studios