Sonoman

Default Older Alpine Vs. Newer Alpine HU's

Hi all:
I have two systems setup almost the same way in an Acura Integra and a
Toyota 4runner. Both have Boston Pros for the front, and cheap Bostons for
rear fill. Each has a Boston Pro 12" sub in a sealed enclosure and both are
driven by an Xtant 603X each. There are two main differences between the
systems. One has an older Alpine 7840 (Integra) HU and the other has a newer
Alpine 9815 (4runner) HU. Taking into consideration the size difference
between the cars it seems that the older Alpine performs a lot better than
the newer one quality wise. The highs are crisper and the bass has more
definition. The 9815 sounds a bit dull. I have even tried to change the
settings with that file you configure and download from the Alpine site. Has
anyone experienced this? Why could be the reason for the difference?

I am asking this because I am getting ready to buy a new car and I am really
in love with the 7998. But I rather have good sound quality instead of good
looks. I am going to keep everything from my old system except for the HU,
which I was thinking to exchange the 7840 for the newer 7998. The car that I
am selling is the Acura and I am going to put the system on a G35. I wanted
to get some thoughts from people that have experience with older and newer
Apine units. Please advise.

---

Tony Hwang

Sonoman wrote:

[...]

If I were you, I'd switch the head units and compare just to be sure.
Tony
MZ

[...]

You can't cross-compare between cars. There is no difference in sound
between the two units.

MZ

I am pretty sure there is a significant difference in favor of the older
unit.

How can you tell? As I said, it's literally impossible to make meaningful
comparisons of ANYTHING between cars, unless they're identical cars and
identical installations.

For example, different speakers in the same car will usually sound more
alike than the same speakers in different cars.

Rilian

"Sonoman" wrote in news:Nb88c.2175$gZ3.992
@bignews3.bellsouth.net:

[...]

All I can offer is that I've been running a 7998 for about 9 months and
the SQ is excellent. But it's the first Alpine HU I've owned so no
comparison from me. I was initially hesitant about the Fantom Face
mechanism eventually wearing out, but so far so good.
Sonoman

I have now tested both units in the same car, just swapped them. Same
everything else. How do you know it is not true? I notice the difference, my
be the newer one in not performing 100%

"MZ" wrote in message
I am pretty sure there is a significant difference in favor of the older
unit.

How can you tell? As I said, it's literally impossible to make meaningful
comparisons of ANYTHING between cars, unless they're identical cars and
identical installations.

For example, different speakers in the same car will usually sound more
alike than the same speakers in different cars.

---

MZ

I have now tested both units in the same car, just swapped them. Same
everything else. How do you know it is not true? I notice the difference,

my
be the newer one in not performing 100%

I know it is not true between working units because there is no difference
in their electrical signals. This can easily be tested with distortion
analyzers and spectrum analyzers.

So if there's no difference in electrical signal, where would you suspect
the difference comes from?