Buster Mudd

Default AutoTune: *THAT'S* what all the fuss is about?!?!?!?!

Believe it or not, I had managed up until this past weekend to never
use AutoTune. Partly because I get lucky enough to work with some
extraordinary singers on occasion, partly because I record a lot of
instrumental music, and partly because...well, some might say there
were sessions where I *should* have used AutoTune!

So whenever I heard folks talking about a concert or a show or an
album or some performance that prompted them to say "I could really
hear AutoTune" (eg., every three weeks in this newsgroup), I had to
shrug, having no direct reference. Although just about as often as
someone was complaining about the prevalence of AutoTune in
contemporary music, I found myself complaining about the prevalence of
cheesey vocoders in contemporary music.

So this weekend I'm doing a mix & the producer whips out AutoTune on
the lead vox and SONOFABITCH! It *is* that cheesey vocoder sound I've
been hearing in so many pop tunes!

WTF???

*That's* state of the art? *That's* the best they can do with
micropitch shifting technology? *THAT'S* what all the fuss is
about?!?!?!?! I felt like it was 1978 all over again. Anyone remember
Herbie Hancock's _Sunlight_ album?
Scott Dorsey

Buster Mudd wrote:

So this weekend I'm doing a mix & the producer whips out AutoTune on
the lead vox and SONOFABITCH! It *is* that cheesey vocoder sound I've
been hearing in so many pop tunes!

WTF???

*That's* state of the art? *That's* the best they can do with
micropitch shifting technology? *THAT'S* what all the fuss is
about?!?!?!?! I felt like it was 1978 all over again. Anyone remember
Herbie Hancock's _Sunlight_ album?

It doesn't have to be that way. If you use it judiciously on a single
note here and there, it can be surprisingly transparent. If you just turn
it on and just expect it to work magically, what you get is godawful crap
like you note. You can't just use it unattended.
Hal Laurent

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
Buster Mudd wrote:

So this weekend I'm doing a mix & the producer whips out AutoTune on
the lead vox and SONOFABITCH! It *is* that cheesey vocoder sound I've
been hearing in so many pop tunes!

WTF???

*That's* state of the art? *That's* the best they can do with
micropitch shifting technology? *THAT'S* what all the fuss is
about?!?!?!?! I felt like it was 1978 all over again. Anyone remember
Herbie Hancock's _Sunlight_ album?

It doesn't have to be that way. If you use it judiciously on a single
note here and there, it can be surprisingly transparent. If you just turn
it on and just expect it to work magically, what you get is godawful crap
like you note. You can't just use it unattended.

I find it helps, in graphical mode, to leave the begin and end of each note
alone, and just draw the pitch line on the inner part of the note. The
attack of a note, in particular, tends to sound very strange when you
Autotune it.

Hal Laurent
Baltimore

Doc

"Buster Mudd" wrote in message
om...

So this weekend I'm doing a mix & the producer whips out AutoTune on
the lead vox and SONOFABITCH! It *is* that cheesey vocoder sound I've
been hearing in so many pop tunes!

Is that what they used to do those effects on Cher's "Believe"? I also hear
a less pronounced versions of it on some country female performers, it's
thrown in lightly, almost like a embellishment between notes, I know they
can't possibly be doing that naturally. Apparently some people don't even
hear it. I've mentioned it to some people and they don't know what I'm
talking about. Is that what you're referring to?

Don Cooper

Doc wrote:

Is that what they used to do those effects on Cher's "Believe"?

That's the first example that comes to mind for me.

I also hear
a less pronounced versions of it on some country female performers, it's
thrown in lightly, almost like a embellishment between notes, I know they
can't possibly be doing that naturally. Apparently some people don't even
hear it. I've mentioned it to some people and they don't know what I'm
talking about. Is that what you're referring to?

Yeah. Yuk.

Don
Deaf Mellon MESA

(Buster Mudd) wrote in message . com...
[...]

I recently used Auto-tune on some vocal work. There were a couple of
passages with some sustained notes the singer couldn't hold steady.
We tried punching in a few times to fix it, but in the end, a bit of
Auto-Tune did the trick. The producer was satisfied with the sound.
It wasn't perfectly in tune, but it was close enough. It's a good
tool when you need it.

DaveT

EggHd

i think if you're not using it in "manual" mode you're just
using it in "Cher" mode.

Manual mode on the stand alone unit in chromatic with a slow attack can work
well on slightly sharp or flat notes.

Same with the plug in.

---------------------------------------
Romeo Rondeau

Is that what they used to do those effects on Cher's "Believe"? I also
hear
a less pronounced versions of it on some country female performers, it's
thrown in lightly, almost like a embellishment between notes, I know they
can't possibly be doing that naturally. Apparently some people don't even
hear it. I've mentioned it to some people and they don't know what I'm
talking about. Is that what you're referring to?

Sometimes it's so bad on the Nashville stuff, I can hear the autotune above
anything else. If you do it right, it's not so bad, but like anything else
(remember gated reverb?), it can and will be abused.

Doc

"Buster Mudd" wrote in message
om...
So this weekend I'm doing a mix & the producer whips out AutoTune on
the lead vox and SONOFABITCH! It *is* that cheesey vocoder sound I've
been hearing in so many pop tunes!

Just thinking about all those old WWII/Big Band era *live* broadcasts where
the vocalists and vocal groups did such an amazing job including rich, tight
harmonies and nailed it, huddled around a single mic - no monitors, no
earpieces. Different standards I guess.

In comparison, a few months ago I saw Crosby, Stills & Nash stink up the
joint on some show doing one of their old hits with a lot of harmony.
Jeezus, I've heard jr. high school vocal groups who had more accurate pitch
and finesse than those old stoners demonstrated. Of course everyone
applauded like they just witnessed a classic performance.

TarBabyTunes

I also hear
a less pronounced versions of it on some country female performers, it's
thrown in lightly, almost like a embellishment between notes, I know they
can't possibly be doing that naturally. Apparently some people don't even
hear it. I've mentioned it to some people and they don't know what I'm
talking about. Is that what you're referring to?

Yeah. Yuk. BRBR

YEAH, Yuk! I've heard folks say that it's 'techno bringing back the old
country yodel'....

A hell of an excuse, that. Foo.

stv

"Doc" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Buster Mudd" wrote in message
om...

So this weekend I'm doing a mix & the producer whips out AutoTune on
the lead vox and SONOFABITCH! It *is* that cheesey vocoder sound I've
been hearing in so many pop tunes!

Is that what they used to do those effects on Cher's "Believe"? I also

hear
a less pronounced versions of it on some country female performers,

LESS pronounced? "Woah-oh-ah-oh, the way you love meEeEeE." lol
--

Neil Henderson
Saqqara Records

Max Arwood

by the way, is it just me or does auto-tune seem to dull the top end a
little of whatever's going through it? i don't know, it might just be
some psychosomatic aversion to pitch correction on my part. anyone?

It is not your imagination, I think the top is rounded off too, especially
in the ATR1a hardware version. The software version 3 more than software
version 4.
Max Arwood

Ricky W. Hunt

"Romeo Rondeau" wrote in message

Sometimes it's so bad on the Nashville stuff, I can hear the autotune

above
anything else. If you do it right, it's not so bad, but like anything else
(remember gated reverb?), it can and will be abused.

There's one female in particular (not Shania) that's it's the most
identifiable part of her sound. A lot of the harmonies actually seemed to be
generated by autotune and someone using the pitchbend to fake the melisma.
Now that is really bad.

Ricky W. Hunt

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message

They weren't always perfectly in tune (or even often perfectly in
tune) but we weren't obcessed with it back then. We heard the whole
sonic picture and it worked. Today we strive for the elusive "detail"
and when everything is so detailed it has to be perfect or else it
sticks out.

That's a very important statement. The overuse of autotune has in fact
skewed what we now consider "in tune". I don't even listen to much current
music (I hear it around me, on TV, etc.) but even that's enough to have
skewed my hearing to the point that older music I used to love and thought
was "dead on" sounds out of pitch sometimes. Class action lawsuit anyone?

JWelsh3374

Listening to any of Nashville's fodder at low volume while shopping
(y'know...music in the background...) and all you can hear is an overtuned
vocal. Sounds like a Moog to me.

I just got a ProTools rig and have used auto tune a few times and there is
definitely an argument for it. I am not the singer I used to be so it helps my
tired old vocals out immensely! But I ain't trying to make a living as a
singer....

It is a tool that everyone (music row in particular) overuses. ZZZZZZZZZZZ....

I have always looked at it like this:

When I was 15-16 yrs old the Yankees, Cardinals and Cubs sent scouts to see me
pitch. I had great control and alot of pitches...but no heater. Should I be
allowed to pitch in the major leagues and when I needed a fastball use a
machine?

A professional singer should be mortified if someone even attempted to use AT
on their voice.

There was a girl here in Nashville that had a deal w/Dreamworks. The record was
done but some A&R punk said she had no single. She came to work with me on four
songs and when I heard what they had done to her wonderful, true country voice
I aksed her if "she aske for that" done to her voice. She just shrugged. She
had absolutely zero control over the mixes. They had ProTooled her character
and charm out of the tracks. She did two whole records for three different
labels and neither ever came out.

searching for peace, love and quality footwear
guido

http://www.guidotoons.com
http://www.theloniousmoog.com
http://www.luckymanclark.com

Mike Rivers

OK, so we all know that we should only use AutoTune in the manual
mode. I'm assuming that "Manual" means that you select the word (or
portion of the word) that you want to re-tune, set the process so that
it gets in tune without sounding objectionable, and then move on to
the next target.

How do you do that with the hardware version? When I patch a
compressor or equalizer into a track, I usually leave it on or maybe
just punch it in occasionally, but rarely do I re-set it for each
"punch." When using the stand-alone AutoTune, how do you deal with
this? Seems like it could mighty tedious.

When I first saw AutoTune, it was only implemented in hardware and the
idea was that you patched it in and it worked its miracles all by
itself. I guess that didn't work out.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )
Max Arwood

You could record a track, send it to the box to record another track then
cut and paste what you want. I have both Box and software, but the
software is much better for recording.
Max Arwood

OK, so we all know that we should only use AutoTune in the manual
mode. I'm assuming that "Manual" means that you select the word (or
portion of the word) that you want to re-tune, set the process so that
it gets in tune without sounding objectionable, and then move on to
the next target.

How do you do that with the hardware version? When I patch a
compressor or equalizer into a track, I usually leave it on or maybe
just punch it in occasionally, but rarely do I re-set it for each
"punch." When using the stand-alone AutoTune, how do you deal with
this? Seems like it could mighty tedious.

When I first saw AutoTune, it was only implemented in hardware and the
idea was that you patched it in and it worked its miracles all by
itself. I guess that didn't work out.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )

ScotFraser

the producer whips out AutoTune on
the lead vox and SONOFABITCH! It *is* that cheesey vocoder sound I've
been hearing in so many pop tunes!
WTF???
*That's* state of the art? *That's* the best they can do with
micropitch shifting technology? *THAT'S* what all the fuss is
about?!?!?!?!

Yeah, pretty amazing isn't it? For really micro pitch fixes you're much better
off doing it manually with whatever pitch shifter is in the DAW. AutoTune does
SO much damage to a signal that I only use it when absolutely necessary to save
an otherwise useable take & then I only use it on the least possible number of
syllables on a duplicated track, then splice them back in to the original &
hope the artifacts get hidden by the band.

Scott Fraser
ScotFraser

I find it helps, in graphical mode, to leave the begin and end of each note
alone, and just draw the pitch line on the inner part of the note. The
attack of a note, in particular, tends to sound very strange when you
Autotune it.

Not only that, the more notes you fix (in manual mode), the more the whole time
line drifts (to the right), necessitating a lot of additional dicking with it
all.

Scott Fraser
ScotFraser

by the way, is it just me or does auto-tune seem to dull the top end a
little of whatever's going through it?

It's not you. The original & the processed, even with no actual pitch fixing,
just being in the signal path, do not sound the same.

Scott Fraser
Kelly Dueck

Melodyne is where it's at. It is amazing. I've only used the demo
since It's not worth my money to spring for the full version, and you
need a heavy duty CPU to run it, but it is a whole order of magnitude
better than Autotune. No artifacts at all -- whole octave jumps,
synthesis of notes that didn't exist before, overlay different
formants and timbres. Check out the demo.

Lou Gimenez wrote in message ...
the word I've been hearing is that melodyne is an amazing pitch correction
tool. I've personally had the most success using my ear and the digital
factory in Logic
--Lou Gimenez
The Music Lab
2" 24track w all the Goodies
www.musiclabnyc.com

Max Arwood

Have you tried Version 4 using the make vibrato curve yet? After you make
the auto curve, you can grab the end points of a note that goes flat and
bring the pitch up very nicely. I think this feature is very good and makes
it much better than V3 (less damage to audio).
Max Arwood

&
hope the artifacts get hidden by the band.

Scott Fraser

Monte McGuire

In article znr1089286178k@trad, (Mike Rivers)
wrote:

OK, so we all know that we should only use AutoTune in the manual
mode. I'm assuming that "Manual" means that you select the word (or
portion of the word) that you want to re-tune, set the process so that
it gets in tune without sounding objectionable, and then move on to
the next target.

For me, 'manual' mode means graphical mode using the software version.
The idea is that you select a small snippet of audio and play it into
the processor so that it can make a graph of pitch vs. time. Then, you
can copy parts of that graph and bend them around to retune the track or
do whatever surgery you need. You can also add your own lines and
curves to the pitch graph, but these can sound scary if you're not
skilled.

Basically, in this mode, the vertical distance between the tracked pitch
and the lines you draw determine the amount of pitch shift. It's pretty
simple, but it's pretty effective if you play with it enough. It can
also sound quite natural and still effective if you start with copies of
the original pitch vs. time graph and only bend them, rather than
replacing the natural curves with straight lines (like you'd get from
automatic mode).

How do you do that with the hardware version? When I patch a
compressor or equalizer into a track, I usually leave it on or maybe
just punch it in occasionally, but rarely do I re-set it for each
"punch." When using the stand-alone AutoTune, how do you deal with
this? Seems like it could mighty tedious.

The hardware version is IMHO a steaming turd only useful for severely
messing with someone's head; set it to reasonably fast chromatic mode
and patch it in line with their monitor send if you really hate someone.
I can find no way that it could be used tastefully, except perhaps as a
sort of chorus/doubling effect.

A few years back, people were dumping perfectly good singers into the
ATR-1 in front of quite large live audiences. I can't explain why, but
I can say that I've never been guilty of this. The practice seems to
have subsided, thankfully.

Regards,

Monte McGuire

Monte McGuire

"Hal Laurent" wrote:
I find it helps, in graphical mode, to leave the begin and end of each note
alone, and just draw the pitch line on the inner part of the note. The
attack of a note, in particular, tends to sound very strange when you
Autotune it.

I think this is only for singers that sweep up to a pitch or trail off
at the end of notes - corrections over tracked pitches that are nearly
vertical lines can be tricky. Still, with the singer I'm fixing now, a
lot of good can come from putting a line on the grid between the
beginning and end of her sweeps and adjusting the timing to make it
sound good.

For longer notes, I find that I have better luck selecting part of the
pitch graph, copying it, and the sliding or bending it as needed. If
you don't go more than a semitone, it's usually hard to tell that it's
corrected. Drawing lines can also work, but it's tricky, and you
usually have to use slow time constants to avoid the 'slam to the grid'
sound.

Regards,

Monte McGuire

JWelsh3374

So were you able to make some recordings with her that didn't suck??!!

Yep. And they use the arrangement ideas almost note for note when they
re-recorded THAT.

No credit to yours truly, however. Why am I not surprised?

searching for peace, love and quality footwear
guido

http://www.guidotoons.com
http://www.theloniousmoog.com
http://www.luckymanclark.com

transducr

"Romeo Rondeau" wrote in message ...
Is that what they used to do those effects on Cher's "Believe"? I also

hear
a less pronounced versions of it on some country female performers, it's
thrown in lightly, almost like a embellishment between notes, I know they
can't possibly be doing that naturally. Apparently some people don't even
hear it. I've mentioned it to some people and they don't know what I'm
talking about. Is that what you're referring to?

Sometimes it's so bad on the Nashville stuff, I can hear the autotune above
anything else. If you do it right, it's not so bad, but like anything else
(remember gated reverb?), it can and will be abused.

ahh yes, but gated reverb on Phil Collins songs like "In The Air
Tonight" *still* sound COMPLETELY AWESOME!!!