Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

Default What are tracks for in a MIDI file?

I'm going to be doing some algorithmic composition
using MIDI files as output. I can mark each event
with a destination channel number, but I can also
write to individual tracks. Why would I want to
create individual tracks? Is it just for housekeeping,
or is there something that I can accomplish with
multiple tracks that I can't with a single track?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 21/01/2018 14:46, Tobiah wrote:
I'm going to be doing some algorithmic composition
using MIDI files as output.Â* I can mark each event
with a destination channel number, but I can also
write to individual tracks.Â* Why would I want to
create individual tracks?Â* Is it just for housekeeping,
or is there something that I can accomplish with
multiple tracks that I can't with a single track?

Each track in a MIDI file opens a new instance of the synthesiser or
other MIDI controlled software instrument you are using, so you can have
two or more MIDI instruments playing at once, say a virtual piano and a
virtual guitar. Or you can have one playing (say) quarter notes in 4/4
time, while the other is syncopating to those notes by shifting the
timing on each track, or even playing 8/8 or 2/2 to go with the 4/4 on
the main track.

Chords in any one track are handled by a single.instrument, and any one
track can only be assigned to one instrument/ synthesiser combination at
a time.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

On 1/21/2018 6:56 AM, John Williamson wrote:
On 21/01/2018 14:46, Tobiah wrote:
I'm going to be doing some algorithmic composition
using MIDI files as output.Â* I can mark each event
with a destination channel number, but I can also
write to individual tracks.Â* Why would I want to
create individual tracks?Â* Is it just for housekeeping,
or is there something that I can accomplish with
multiple tracks that I can't with a single track?

Each track in a MIDI file opens a new instance of the synthesiser or
other MIDI controlled software instrument you are using

Are you sure about this? You are saying that if I load Kontakt
as a VST on a DAW track then that instance is duplicated for each
track in a MIDI file a play through that DAW track?

so you can have
two or more MIDI instruments playing at once, say a virtual piano and a
virtual guitar.

I can already route each note to a different instrument in my virtual
synth using MIDI channel numbers for each note. I still don't
understand what capability I'm gaining by splitting things into
different tracks, other then for possible organizational benefits.

Or you can have one playing (say) quarter notes in 4/4
time, while the other is syncopating to those notes by shifting the
timing on each track, or even playing 8/8 or 2/2 to go with the 4/4 on
the main track.

Still, I can set each event to fire at any time, so it seems as though
I should be able to do any of the things you mentioned using one track.

Chords in any one trackÂ* are handled by a single.instrument, and any one
track can only be assigned to one instrument/ synthesiser combination at
a time.

Now say in Reaper, can I load two separate VST synths onto one track and
route different tracks of a MIDI file to each synth? That would make
sense, but I wouldn't know how to do it.

Thanks,

Tobiah
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 21/01/2018 15:11, Tobiah wrote:
On 1/21/2018 6:56 AM, John Williamson wrote:
On 21/01/2018 14:46, Tobiah wrote:
I'm going to be doing some algorithmic composition
using MIDI files as output.Â* I can mark each event
with a destination channel number, but I can also
write to individual tracks.Â* Why would I want to
create individual tracks?Â* Is it just for housekeeping,
or is there something that I can accomplish with
multiple tracks that I can't with a single track?

Each track in a MIDI file opens a new instance of the synthesiser or
other MIDI controlled software instrument you are using

Are you sure about this?Â*Â* You are saying that if I load Kontakt
as a VST on a DAW track then that instance is duplicated for each
track in a MIDI file a play through that DAW track?

I know it works like that using the MS General MIDI synth, and assume it
would work that way with other synths.

But why put a multi track MIDI part into a single DAW track? You get
more control by putting each MIDI track or voice into its own DAW track.

so you can have
two or more MIDI instruments playing at once, say a virtual piano and
a virtual guitar.

I can already route each note to a different instrument in my virtual
synth using MIDI channel numbers for each note.Â* I still don't
understand what capability I'm gaining by splitting things into
different tracks, other then for possible organizational benefits.

Say you want to play a note on a piano at the same time as you play a
drum hit?

Or you can have one playing (say) quarter notes in 4/4 time, while the
other is syncopating to those notes by shifting the timing on each
track, or even playing 8/8 or 2/2 to go with the 4/4 on the main track.

Still, I can set each event to fire at any time, so it seems as though
I should be able to do any of the things you mentioned using one track.

Try it and see.

Chords in any one trackÂ* are handled by a single.instrument, and any
one track can only be assigned to one instrument/ synthesiser
combination at a time.

Now say in Reaper, can I load two separate VST synths onto one track and
route different tracks of a MIDI file to each synth?Â* That would make
sense, but I wouldn't know how to do it.

It's likely in the manual somewhere. I don't use Reaper.

One benefit may be if you need to print out a score for real musicians
at some point or for copyright purposes.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

I'm going to be creating MIDI files with a python program,
then importing those files into Reaper. One benefit I could
see in writing to different tracks of the MIDI file would
be that I could instruct Reaper to split those tracks into
different DAW tracks - a possible advantage.

I also noticed that each MIDI track can have its own tempo
markings (at least in a format 2 file).

Tobiah

On 1/21/2018 7:25 AM, John Williamson wrote:
[...]

Â*so you can have
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Tobiah wrote:
I'm going to be doing some algorithmic composition
using MIDI files as output.Â* I can mark each event
with a destination channel number, but I can also
write to individual tracks.Â* Why would I want to
create individual tracks?Â* Is it just for housekeeping,
or is there something that I can accomplish with
multiple tracks that I can't with a single track?

Tracks are for different destinations. "Housekeeping" is
one way to put it. For example, there are times when a
MIDI drum track will work better with the kik and snare
as seperate tracks. This allows emulating a 4-mic
live drum recording in the mix phase.

If you ever want to put this data into a staff-notation
program and print it, then multiple tracks would seem
to be fairly important.

--
Les Cargill
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Neil[_9_] Neil[_9_] is offline

On 1/21/2018 10:41 AM, Tobiah wrote:
I'm going to be creating MIDI files with a python program,
then importing those files into Reaper.Â* One benefit I could
see in writing to different tracks of the MIDI file would
be that I could instruct Reaper to split those tracks into
different DAW tracks - a possible advantage.

I also noticed that each MIDI track can have its own tempo
markings (at least in a format 2 file).

Tobiah

From your posts, it sounds like you're conflating MIDI files with DAW
files, when they're really unrelated.

DAW tracks are audio files, fixed in terms of instrumentation, timing,
dynamics, etc. (sure, you can compress, expand, and adjust volume, but
that's not the point).

MIDI tracks are generic numeric values with no specific or fixed
relation to instrumentation or dynamics. In short, a MIDI track can be
created that has no sound at all. When you select a virtual instrument
(or synthesized sound) for a particular MIDI track, the properties of
that instrument become the rough equivalent of the audio files in a DAW
track, so the dynamics and other characteristics of that instrument
become the MIDI track, but those properties are adjustable until the
track is exported to audio.

Since most synthesizers have at least 16 MIDI channels, one can create
sound events that are as complex as desired using multiple instruments
that can then be exported to a single (stereo, quad, etc.) DAW track.

So, there are a lot of options available with MIDI that have no relation
to DAW tracks until the MIDI track is exported to audio.

Hope this helps a little...

--
best regards,

Neil
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Neil[_9_] Neil[_9_] is offline

On 1/21/2018 9:46 AM, Tobiah wrote:
I'm going to be doing some algorithmic composition
using MIDI files as output.Â* I can mark each event
with a destination channel number, but I can also
write to individual tracks.Â* Why would I want to
create individual tracks?Â* Is it just for housekeeping,
or is there something that I can accomplish with
multiple tracks that I can't with a single track?

Absolutely. For example, let's consider a string section to accompany
the composition. You use 8 MIDI instruments to create the string
section, with some parts playing accents and others pizzicato.

If you output the 8 MIDI tracks a single DAW track, you have to live
with the balance and dynamics that you set in the MIDI tracks, which may
or may not be the best for your arrangement. The only choice would be to
rinse and repeat. If you output those 8 MIDI tracks to 8 DAW tracks, you
can adjust the balance and dynamics to suit.

--
best regards,

Neil
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

On 01/23/2018 10:57 AM, Neil wrote:
On 1/21/2018 10:41 AM, Tobiah wrote:
I'm going to be creating MIDI files with a python program,
then importing those files into Reaper.Â* One benefit I could
see in writing to different tracks of the MIDI file would
be that I could instruct Reaper to split those tracks into
different DAW tracks - a possible advantage.

I also noticed that each MIDI track can have its own tempo
markings (at least in a format 2 file).

Tobiah

From your posts, it sounds like you're conflating MIDI files with DAW files, when they're really unrelated.

I'm not, really. The DAW tracks have to be mentioned however because
that's the environment where the MIDI file will be realized. The DAW
in my case is the thing that will give meaning to the different MIDI
file tracks should I choose to use them, so it is inseparable from
the discussion though the term 'track' has two clearly disparate meanings
here.

I think the end answer is that using multiple MIDI tracks will probably
end up making things easier in the long run; for the most part, the same
music could be put in one track, but the software interpreting the MIDI
will likely be able to take advantage of the extra organization, such
as by importing the MIDI file into separate DAW tracks.