B.M. Wright

Default NAD Monitor Series 5000, strange playback problem

I have an NAD Monitor Series 5000 CD player that has a strange
playback problem. Quick explaination is that, it plays just fine for
some random amount of time, then just stops. I believe at some point in
the past it skipped for a short while, but now it doesn't skip, it just
stops. Sometimes it plays fine for several minutes, sometimes just a
few seconds, this is on the same CD. It almost seems like the spindle
is slipping and it's losing synchronization.

Anyone have experience with this problem and a recommendation on
how to fix it? It's a pretty old player, but very decent, I hate to
just junk it but the repair cost is probably not worth it either.

Any help appreciated, followups here are good and an e-mail
would be nice too if you don't mind, but I'll keep checking the group.

Tim Schwartz

Hello,

There is a common problem in these players with the focus coil drive
transistors Q102 and Q103. The original devices are physically very
small and can't dissipate heat well enough. The service note I have
suggests replacing Q102 with a 2SD669 or similar and Q103 with a 2SB649
or similar. The choice of transistor is not super critical, but I'd use
a complimentary pair, and the ones I've mentioned are not expensive. As
I recall there are some occasions when the other pair of drives right
near by (Q104/105?) have the same problem. Also look over the soldering
in this area while you have the board out.

Regards,
Tim Schwartz
Bristol Electronics

P.S. These transistors are located near the left edge of the PC board
near the calibration pots. I let the new transistors stand off the
board a bit for better heat dissipation. You could add a heat sink to
them, but it would be a rather tight fit.