Laurence Payne

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 19:47:51 -0400, Agent_C
wrote:

Middle Atlantic makes one called the RPS15. I think they're $60 or $70
retail.

Thanks, this is exactly what I need.

... and at $92.00 a screaming bargain!

That IS an ironic "!", isn't it? PLEASE say it is :-)
Laurence Payne

On 28 Jun 2005 10:46:22 -0700, "Agent_C"
wrote:

What exactly is wrong with a "cheap power strip"?

I just want a passive switch; nothing more. I'm uncertain how the fuse
and surge protection circuitry in a 'cheap power strip', or even an
expensive one, would interact with the PowerWedge.

Why would a cheap power strip include surge protection? If the fuse
frightens you, bypass it.
Joe Sensor

Laurence Payne wrote:

If the fuse frightens you, bypass it.

Hahaha. I dunno. For some reason that just sounds really funny!
Steve Urbach

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 01:07:12 +0100, Laurence Payne
wrote:

Why would a cheap power strip include surge protection?

Many $9.oo strips claim some surge protection :^)

Note APC protection plan states that it is void if you use external
surge protectors on either the line or load as they claim that it is
possible for them to interfere with each other resulting in poorer
protection than either one could supply.

Make sence if neither sees the full surge to initiate full clamping.

, _
, | \ MKA: Steve Urbach
, | )erek No JUNK in my email please
, ____|_/ragonsclaw
, / / / Running United Devices "Cure For Cancer" Project 24/7 Have you helped?
http://www.grid.org
Agent_C

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 01:02:56 +0100, Laurence Payne
wrote:

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 19:47:51 -0400, Agent_C

... and at $92.00 a screaming bargain!

That IS an ironic "!", isn't it? PLEASE say it is :-)

It is.

A_C

w_tom

The power strip and circuit breaker (or fuse) will not
interact with the power wedge. In fact, any power strip that
does not have the 15 amp circuit breaker should be removed
from premises as a threat to human safety.

Power strip surge protector are cheap power strips with a
few $0.10 parts added. The active component (MOV) remains
totally inert until 120 VAC exceeds something like 300 volts.
Are you seeing 300+ volts on you AC main? If not, all power
strips remain inert. Meanwhile, spend tens of dollars to
convert a cheap power strip into a surge protector using $0.10
parts. Better is to save money; use the cheap power strip.

The power strip will provide up to 15 amps to the power
wedge (or anything else). Circuit breaker protects humans
from making stupid (and therefore dangerous) mistakes. To the
power wedge, cheap power strip looks like power is coming
directly from the wall receptacle.

Agent_C wrote:
Joe Sensor wrote:
What exactly is wrong with a "cheap power strip"?

I just want a passive switch; nothing more. I'm uncertain how the fuse
and surge protection circuitry in a 'cheap power strip', or even an
expensive one, would interact with the PowerWedge.

A_C

w_tom

APC makes that external surge protector stipulation in a
list of exceptions. They make a warranty claim. Then include
numerous 'fine print' exceptions so that a claim need not be
honored. Chains of protectors adversely affect protection
only because those protectors add even more wire to earth
ground. No short connection to earth ground means no
effective protection from the typically destructive transient.

All being irrelevant to Agent_C's original post. Since a
power strip (with or without surge protector) does nothing
(remains inert) when voltage is well below 300 volts, then
either power strip will work just like a power switch.