Les

Default Audio Myths was "System I'm designing - two questions"

This came to my email. The post originated in RAC. I prefer to reply here as
well,
there are others that can help to answer and debunk the audio myths better
than I.

MZ

They don't have to use the same components. Components can go into the
quality of the amp, but not really the SQ. Your logic is flawed. Physics
tells us that if we cannot measure the differences then HOW can we hear a
difference?

The laws of physics tell us that, in order for a difference to be perceived
by humans but NOT by the appropriate test equipment, one of two things must
be true:

1) The test equipment is not precise enough to compete with human sensation.
2) There is another component that cannot be measured that is at play here.
This would imply that another force is at work that has yet to be discovered
(ie. not gravitational, electromagnetic, weak, or strong forces).

(1) cannot be the case, because most test equipment generally used far
exceeds the thresholds obtained in human psychophysical experiments. The
amount of literature available in psychophysics in massive. It is a very
active field.

It must then be (2). So proponents of the notion that differences can be
heard but not measured are essentially claiming that the reason they cannot
measure differences is because the laws of physics are incomplete and that
this has profound implications in the realm of audio.

Call me skeptical.

Eddie Runner

MZ wrote:

It must then be (2). So proponents of the notion that differences can be
heard but not measured are essentially claiming that the reason they cannot
measure differences is because the laws of physics are incomplete and that
this has profound implications in the realm of audio.

But even what folks THINK they hear and cannot be measured can be
verified by blind comparisons.... Let them use their ears ONLY without
actually knowing what they are lstening to.. If they really can tell a
difference
they will be able to do so blindfolded using only thier ears...

Most of the time folks that think they can, CANNOT when really tested
this way... We condicted a cable test comparing 40ft of old nasty RCA cables
VS very very ($2000) RCA cables of a very short length (I choose very opposite
cables, VERY EXPANSIVE vs VERY CHEAP and VERY LONG vs VERY SHORT
and still not one of the salesmen in a very high end store could tell the
difference
with their trained ears...

Eddie

Steve Grauman

...still not one of the salesmen in a very high end store could tell the
difference
with their trained ears.

People insert mental bias when choosing electronics. I sit and chuckle every
time I read a review, either of home or car audio equipment, that claims one
amp is "warmer" than another or "cleaner" or "more impactful" than another. 6
months ago I might've believed this crap but I've done a lot of asking
questions and personal research (much of it on this NG) and I've found it be
B.S. I compared my $1,200 Denon reciever to other Denon units as well as pieces
manufactured by Pioneer, McIntosh, Sony, Theta and several others. I found that
I couldn't indentify a single audible difference that could be attributed to
the amps - even when comparing my unit to units costing $4,500 and more.