Neil Rutman

Default Recording Audio for Film/Video

I live in the Pasadena area and I get a good amount of calls to do sound
recording for video. I have done a couple of these gigs but I have no
equipment which is where the real money is.

I know generally what I'm gonna need to get if I start doing this but I
could use some advice on the specifics.

1. Portable DAT w/ timecode. Any good value options here?

2. Couple of telescoping booms. Where do I get these?

3. Small Mackie Mixer

4. A sturdy cart with wheels

5. Several lavalier mics with transmitters and reciever(s). This is where
I'm really in the dark. What system can support several wireless mics
without frequency overlap and won't cost me an arm and a leg? How many
outputs from the reciever will there be?

6. I have a pretty extensive mic collection to go on the booms. What works
best for a boom application?

If I am missing anything please fill me in. Is my DAT w/ time code recorder
gonna be in sync with the video during recording? How does that work?

Thanks for any help on this.

Neil R

Scott Dorsey

Neil Rutman wrote:

I know generally what I'm gonna need to get if I start doing this but I
could use some advice on the specifics.

1. Portable DAT w/ timecode. Any good value options here?

The HHb sells used at good prices. Most of the video guys will want you
to feed their recorder rather than go double-system, but double-system is
a huge advantage for everyone when there is a budget for it.

2. Couple of telescoping booms. Where do I get these?

I like the Film Group. You can look on r.a.m.p.s and get different views
on booms. Some folks like one brand, others like another. Hell, I still
have a Gitzo kit around here that weighs a ton.... it's solid and silent
but boom ops don't like me.

3. Small Mackie Mixer

Definitely not. If you really need a mixer, get something designed for
the job. Cooper, Sonosax, Audio Devices. If you have to cheap out, get
the Shure FP33.

4. A sturdy cart with wheels

You don't really need a cart the first time around. You can work out of
a bag. The cart is nice, though, but it now requires you to have a van.

5. Several lavalier mics with transmitters and reciever(s). This is where
I'm really in the dark. What system can support several wireless mics
without frequency overlap and won't cost me an arm and a leg? How many
outputs from the reciever will there be?

You will pay an arm and a leg. Sonosax and Zaxcom would be my first two
recommendations. Vega if you can't afford it. If you just get a pair of
them, you can rent others when you need them. All of this stuff is very
readily rented.

6. I have a pretty extensive mic collection to go on the booms. What works
best for a boom application?

The tightest hypercardioid you can find. The Schoeps is a good one. You
want tight and you want clean off-axis response most of the time.

Occasionally you will find a serious need for a shotgun mike, usually
outdoors but every once in a while in some cavernous buildings. The
Sennheiser MKH416 is the old standby and shows up used a lot.

You will need zeppelins for both of these, although you may try and use
the some one for both. If you do not have the budget, the Rycote baby
ball gag is surprisingly good for the price.

If I am missing anything please fill me in. Is my DAT w/ time code recorder
gonna be in sync with the video during recording? How does that work?

You jam synch with the video camera. Then everybody just free-runs.

Benjamin Maas

Neil, if you are in Pasadena, go over to Location Sound in North
Hollywood... They are on Riverside near Lankersheim... They are one of the
major sales places for this kind of gear in LA.

Beyond that, listen to Scott's advice... :-)

--Ben

--
Benjamin Maas
Fifth Circle Audio

Please remove "Nospam" from address for replies

"Neil Rutman" wrote in message ...
[...]

Kurt Albershardt

The big question here is what kind of work are you doing and how much does it pay right now? This will let you determine what you should buy and what you should rent.

As Scott mentioned, spend some time in rec.arts.movies.production-sound to get up to speed.

Neil Rutman wrote:

1. Portable DAT w/ timecode. Any good value options here?

I certainly wouldn't buy a DAT unless I had paying clients lined up to cover its cost in ~six months.

Unfortunately, the next step up right now is the Sound Devices 744T at around $4000. Fostex is promising timecode for the FR-2 but I don't think it's shipped yet.

2. Couple of telescoping booms. Where do I get these?

Location Sound Corporation, Coffey Sound (both are close to you, go spend some time with them)

3. Small Mackie Mixer

Maybe. Do you really need that many channels?

4. A sturdy cart with wheels

Maybe. What kind of work?

5. Several lavalier mics with transmitters and reciever(s). This is where
I'm really in the dark. What system can support several wireless mics
without frequency overlap and won't cost me an arm and a leg?

Sennheiser G2, at about $450 per channel plus a few outboard bits. But don't expect to get any work on 'real' shows with them.

6. I have a pretty extensive mic collection to go on the booms. What works
best for a boom application?

Schoeps MK41 or similar hypercardioid.

Is my DAT w/ time code recorder
gonna be in sync with the video during recording?

Maybe. There are a lot of variables involved.

Richard Crowley

The big question here is what kind of work are you doing and how much does
it pay right now? This will let you determine what you should buy and
what you should rent.

There is a current hot topic on rec.arts.movies.production.sound
about "Elimidate" offering $200/day (where day = 10 hours).
Keep in mind they are assuming that you already *own* all the
equipment and are bringing it with you (and likely insuring it too)
within that budget. Needless to say, the professionals over there
are decrying this trend.

T Maki

Go talk to the guys at Location Sound in North Hollywood.
Not only do they rent and sell new equipment, they
continuously recylce good used stuff. Good folks to talk to,
and they won't talk down to you, especially if you're just
getting started. And as an extra bonus, they're literally in
your back yard. They're on Riverside Drive. You know how to
get there.

TM

Neil Rutman wrote:

I live in the Pasadena area a

If I am missing anything please fill me in. Is my DAT w/ time code recorder
gonna be in sync with the video during recording? How does that work?

Thanks for any help on this.

T Maki

Go talk to the guys at Location Sound in North Hollywood.
Not only do they rent and sell new equipment, they
continuously recylce good used stuff. Good folks to talk to,
and they won't talk down to you, especially if you're just
getting started. And as an extra bonus, they're literally in
your back yard. They're on Riverside Drive. You know how to
get there.

TM

Neil Rutman wrote:

I live in the Pasadena area a

If I am missing anything please fill me in. Is my DAT w/ time code recorder
gonna be in sync with the video during recording? How does that work?

Thanks for any help on this.

Raymond

try this

Subject: FA- BEGINNER SOUNDMAN PACKAGE
From: "Oleg Kaizerman" kaizeroremoove that
Date: 11/21/04 9:14 AM Eastern Standard Time
Senheiser 416 t in very good shape
or Sony c-74 short version
Rycote 2 point suspension , comes with boom holder or handle ( or both)
Cavision zeppelin -have small crank on the noose but working perfectly,
comes with home made fury in light beige color
variety of vdb - un cabled booms -M ( perfect )( 270 cm) ,540 ( exelent)(
180 cm) or 805 very good ( the last part was shorted after brake)360 cm
Wendt X2 mixer in perfect shape + original pouch and strap ( you can
choose between Petrol and Porta brace)
Snake - Mogamy cable , xlrs out p.l mini stereo in , 7 pin xlr brake , 2
xlr in pl mini stereo and rca outs from the camera ( perfect for monitoring
dv x 100, pd-150,170 , xl1 or 2, and Sony dsr 570,390 camcorders)
as well willing to sell 2 pars of lectro 210 d ,200c wireless
block 25( green) 640-665 mhz+ power leads and xlr short cables , might
come withe origina lectrosonic mikes , trams or sankens coss 11 in exelent
shape
except the 416 that I bought used few years ago and the Sony which I
restoration all the other items are originally owned by me
the numbers would be sent over the pictures to every one who like
the prices up request and could be negotiated upon the quantity of items
Oleg Kaizerman

the shipping with insurance with Israeli post office service about 10$
per pound to US about 8$ to Europe and unknown sum to the other parts of the
globe :-)

Raymond

try this

Scott Dorsey

Richard Crowley wrote:
The big question here is what kind of work are you doing and how much does
it pay right now? This will let you determine what you should buy and
what you should rent.

There is a current hot topic on rec.arts.movies.production.sound
about "Elimidate" offering $200/day (where day = 10 hours).
Keep in mind they are assuming that you already *own* all the
equipment and are bringing it with you (and likely insuring it too)
within that budget. Needless to say, the professionals over there
are decrying this trend.

The post guys think it's great. The post guys are raking in money hand
over fist, fixing up and looping over tracks made by the kids these
productions bring in. Save ten bucks on the set, spend a hundred in post.
Sounds great to me.

Neil Rutman

You guys are great. I appreciate all the input. I'm off to Location Sound!

Neil R

"T Maki" wrote in message ...
Go talk to the guys at Location Sound in North Hollywood.
Not only do they rent and sell new equipment, they
continuously recylce good used stuff. Good folks to talk to,
and they won't talk down to you, especially if you're just
getting started. And as an extra bonus, they're literally in
your back yard. They're on Riverside Drive. You know how to
get there.

TM

Neil Rutman wrote:

I live in the Pasadena area a

If I am missing anything please fill me in. Is my DAT w/ time code
recorder
gonna be in sync with the video during recording? How does that work?

Thanks for any help on this.

Neil Rutman

"T Maki" wrote in message ...
Go talk to the guys at Location Sound in North Hollywood.
Not only do they rent and sell new equipment, they
continuously recylce good used stuff. Good folks to talk to,
and they won't talk down to you, especially if you're just
getting started. And as an extra bonus, they're literally in
your back yard. They're on Riverside Drive. You know how to
get there.

TM

Neil Rutman wrote:

I live in the Pasadena area a

If I am missing anything please fill me in. Is my DAT w/ time code
recorder
gonna be in sync with the video during recording? How does that work?

Thanks for any help on this.

Brian Allen

Richard Crowley wrote:
The big question here is what kind of work are you doing and how much does
it pay right now? This will let you determine what you should buy and
what you should rent.

There is a current hot topic on rec.arts.movies.production.sound
about "Elimidate" offering $200/day (where day = 10 hours).
Keep in mind they are assuming that you already *own* all the
equipment and are bringing it with you (and likely insuring it too)
within that budget. Needless to say, the professionals over there
are decrying this trend.

They'll get what they pay for, most likely a very budget production.
IME that pay is quite low. I just got off a 3 month reality show shoot
and while I was the video engineer this time many friends worked as ENG
audio mixers and made quite a bit over 200/day(more than 2x that). The
audio supervisor made more over that. The only piece of gear they owned
was the harness to carry the mixers/rf receivers.

Brian

Brian Allen

Neil Rutman wrote:
I live in the Pasadena area and I get a good amount of calls to do sound
recording for video. I have done a couple of these gigs but I have no
equipment which is where the real money is.

I know generally what I'm gonna need to get if I start doing this but I
could use some advice on the specifics.

1. Portable DAT w/ timecode. Any good value options here?

2. Couple of telescoping booms. Where do I get these?

3. Small Mackie Mixer

4. A sturdy cart with wheels

5. Several lavalier mics with transmitters and reciever(s). This is where
I'm really in the dark. What system can support several wireless mics
without frequency overlap and won't cost me an arm and a leg? How many
outputs from the reciever will there be?

A buddy of mine does Audio sup work for reality shows which can consist
of many rf channels. He uses lectrosonics exclusively. The last show
we had 16 channels of rf lavs and transmitters and it worked well.
Covered a 8000 sq. ft. house and the immediate property with only a few
antenae. They are expensive though. All the antanae fed a 'combiner'
(I cant recall the appropriate make or the box) and then diversity
outputs from this fed the 16 channels of receievers.

Brian

6. I have a pretty extensive mic collection to go on the booms. What works
best for a boom application?

If I am missing anything please fill me in. Is my DAT w/ time code recorder
gonna be in sync with the video during recording? How does that work?

Thanks for any help on this.

Neil R

Peter Hill

[...]

Hi. I have been doing location sound for film and television for a lot of
years now, and this is what I use for the vast majority of work.

1 - Mixer. SQN4s. It has four inputs at powered mic (48 v phantom, T
powering) or line level.
2 - Mic. Neumann RSM190 stereo shotgun. Works either L/R stereo, or M&S
3 - Boom. Many of these available from many sources
4 - 2 Radio mics. Microns with Sony lavelier mics, or you can plug in any
non powered mic to the transmitter.
5 - A decent pair of headphones. I use Bayer Dynamics DT48. Heavy but the
best (the original cans)
6 - DAT recorder Fostex PD4 with T/C. I only use with film as doubling up
simultaneously with the video camera is not normally required.

Items 2 to 5 are carried around in a bag which also has an NP1 battery to
power up the whole lot. It allows you to be in a go situation in seconds,
ideal for news gathering situations

Hope this helps

Peter