Ivan Lopez

Default Class D full range/Class T w/Tripath

Facts primarily but also opinions welcomed on the above subject. I've read
up a little about these designs. I see that Xtant has a Class D full range.
It looks like Visonik and MA Audio have variations on the Class T Tripath
full range design. Also the PG Tantrum 1200.1 uses Class T Tripath but it
is not a full range amp.

Has anyone used or seen any of these in action? Or more to the point any
Class D/T fullrange amps?

I recently hooked up a Class D sub amp and was quite impressed with its
power output vs. system drain. With the Class A/B amp I had running the
subs before, you could tell it was sucking some serious power at higher
output (dimming of the dome light at idle). The greater power output of the
Class D and I only experience a slight flicker at idle with even higher
output and more pronounced bass ouput (attributed to the additional power
output not the given design). Plus the amp doesn't even get warm, while the
A/B amp used to get quite warm.

They are claiming these fullrange Class D and Class T amps can give the same
performance if not greater than an equivalent Class A/B design. Any
thoughs? I like the fact of the lesser strain on a vehicles electrical
system and was venturing to look into one of these.

This is not meant to start a flame session, just some constructive
discussion.

Thanks,
Ivan

---

Ivan Lopez

Some more interesting info, looks like Panasonic is going to leverage
Tripath's Class T design in their new HU...
Check this out:

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix...ular&id=483190&

http://home.businesswire.com/portal...047&newsLang=en

Also some new offerings from Tripath:
http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix...ular&id=482595&

None of the links states whether the rated power is RMS or not which is
unfortunate. But if this progresses we'll finally have the ability to truly
run our components and coax's off the HU's power with the same power as what
we're are currently getting out of 4 channel Class A/B amps. This Class T
amp design seems to be pretty impressive and a logical extension of Class D.

"Ivan Lopez" wrote in message
[...]

John Durbin

We're just finishing the development on a 1,000 watt 2-channel Tripath
amp... it also has programmable features that can be set using our
handheld Bitwriter programming tool.

Clarion and Arc Audio have both shipped Tripath models for the last 2
years or so, Alpine has had a multi-channel Tripath model in the past
and US Amps also shipped some Tripath stuff as I recall. And, the
Blaupunkt amps that had the colored plastic covers were Tripath designs.

JD

Ivan Lopez wrote:

[...]

Paul Vina

IIRC, Blade Audio has been/was using Tripath stuff in the early 90's. They
had the BASH circuit as well, but I seen to remember reading thatthey were a
Tripath design. I could be wrong.

Paul Vina

Ivan Lopez wrote:

[...]

Ivan Lopez

So far I haven't seen anyone give any feedback on whether they have used
one, currently using one and what their experience and /or opinion of this
design is.

Is this design worthwhile to look at? Does it truly deliver on its claim of
full-range performance?

I noticed Blaupunkt doesn't have that series of amps in their lineup
anymore. Did it just not move in sales, or was the design faulty/unreliable
and they decided to pull it? I looked like a good amp(PA4100), smaller in
size than my current four channel amp.

"Ivan Lopez" wrote in message
[...]

Rilian

"Ivan Lopez" wrote in
:

I noticed Blaupunkt doesn't have that series of amps in their lineup
anymore. Did it just not move in sales, or was the design
faulty/unreliable and they decided to pull it? I looked like a good
amp(PA4100), smaller in size than my current four channel amp.

Gone already, huh? I'm glad I bought mine while I could then. I have 2
PA275 T-class amps under my drivers seat in a Mini Cooper. There's a
cavity under the carpet where the navigation unit would go, and they both
fit there with room to spare. Any room saved in a Mini is a plus!

Anyway, I have an Alpine CDA-7998 feeding them into Infinity Kappas front
and rear. They sound great to my ears. I hope they last since
replacements may be hard to find now...
Ivan Lopez

I still find those amps online but I just didn't see it in Blaupunkt's US
website. It looks like their lineup only has Class A/B designs.
Your experience from what it seems is a positive one which is good.

"Rilian" wrote in message
"Ivan Lopez" wrote in
:

I noticed Blaupunkt doesn't have that series of amps in their lineup
anymore. Did it just not move in sales, or was the design
faulty/unreliable and they decided to pull it? I looked like a good
amp(PA4100), smaller in size than my current four channel amp.

Gone already, huh? I'm glad I bought mine while I could then. I have 2
PA275 T-class amps under my drivers seat in a Mini Cooper. There's a
cavity under the carpet where the navigation unit would go, and they both
fit there with room to spare. Any room saved in a Mini is a plus!

Anyway, I have an Alpine CDA-7998 feeding them into Infinity Kappas front
and rear. They sound great to my ears. I hope they last since
replacements may be hard to find now...

---

John Durbin

I don't think so... BASH was the analog equivalent, used signal delay
and power supply steering to increase the efficiency of an otherwise
typical AB amp design.

JD

Paul Vina wrote:

IIRC, Blade Audio has been/was using Tripath stuff in the early 90's. They
had the BASH circuit as well, but I seen to remember reading thatthey were a
Tripath design. I could be wrong.

Paul Vina

.. .

[...]

jverheul

Correction I called caraudioexpert back for more info on the recall.
I was told that I was given the wrong information. There is no recall,
they are just out of stock and the model is discontinued. Good for me!
I just found it even cheaper at
http://www.midwestelectronics.com/pr...products_id/34

I hope that these kind of amps become more popular. They don't look
cool, but they are small, draw and dissipate fewer watts, and are not
overly expensive.

Yippeeee,
JV

--
jverheul

Kevin McMurtrie

jverheul wrote:

Correction I called caraudioexpert back for more info on the recall.
I was told that I was given the wrong information. There is no recall,
they are just out of stock and the model is discontinued. Good for me!
I just found it even cheaper at
http://www.midwestelectronics.com/pr...products_id/34

I hope that these kind of amps become more popular. They don't look
cool, but they are small, draw and dissipate fewer watts, and are not
overly expensive.

Yippeeee,
JV

If you're about to buy something, everything that's not in stock
suddenly becomes defective or discontinued. The store doesn't want you
looking someplace else.
MeatballTurbo

In article , jverheul.1b1e51
@realcaraudio.com says...

Correction I called caraudioexpert back for more info on the recall.
I was told that I was given the wrong information. There is no recall,
they are just out of stock and the model is discontinued. Good for me!
I just found it even cheaper at
http://www.midwestelectronics.com/pr...products_id/34

I hope that these kind of amps become more popular. They don't look
cool, but they are small, draw and dissipate fewer watts, and are not
overly expensive.

Yippeeee,
JV

--
jverheul

Have a look at http://www.bluespot.co.uk (don't know if they will ship
outside the UK). I have seen those amps on there (or at least that
range).
--
The poster formerly known as Skodapilot.
http://www.bouncing-czechs.com

So what's the skinny on digital amps? Scott Gardner Car Audio 7 December 21st 03 08:56 PM
FS: 3000 watt amp $179!! 900 watt woofers $36!! new- free shipping Nexxon General 1 October 14th 03 02:06 PM
Class A/B Amp Sir Andy Car Audio 5 August 29th 03 05:19 AM
Class D vs Class A/B amps Sam Carleton Car Audio 14 July 25th 03 05:34 AM