Posted to rec.audio.car
[email protected] ripprou@hotmail.com is offline

Default Stupid Newbie question

I checked the FAQ and couldn't find an answer to this one so here
goes.. I am newly the proud owner of a 1991 Geo Metro (don't laugh too
hard.. it gets 50 mpg!) and it came to me with a gaping hole where the
radio is supposed to be. I'd like to install the original radio but
haven't had any luck finding one as yet and so I ponder options.
There's a plug hanging from the harness in there that I assume is
somehow Chevy proprietary and perhaps even 1991 specific but I don't
know.. which is why I'm here. What exactly is involved with installing
an aftermarket radio?? I mean.. do I simply plug in the new radio to
this harness or do I need some sort of adapter, which might be
different for every radio out there, or do I have to trace out the
wires and build my own new plug??? I said I was a newbie.. I hope I
haven't offended anybody by asking such a rediculously elementary
question. Thank you!

Posted to rec.audio.car
Ian Ian is offline

wrote:
[...]

There are generally 2 ways to do this.

1) Assuming that this is the (proprietary) factory harness that
plugs in to the OEM head unit: There are a few accessory manufacturers
that make an adapter that plugs in to the factory harness, which you
then wire to the harness that came with your head unit. This adapter
harness will have all wires labeled, as will your after market head
head unit's harness.... So connect the wires. These usually aren't
too expensive; and I believe that Crutchfield even includes these for
free with a head unit when you purchase.

2a) Do it the old fashioned way. Installers usually have a book that
identifies the wire colors used for battery/ignition/ground/speakers
for each car for each model year. If you can get your hands on this
information, you can use it to identify which wires are which, cut the
OEM wiring harness off, and then just splice the after market head unit
wires directly.

2b) Do it the *really* old fashioned way. If you can't get access to
the wire color chart, it's possible to determine which wires are which
by probing and using a multimeter or test light and continuity checker
to find constant and switched power, ground and speaker leads. A 1.5V
battery is also helpful when finding speaker leads to identify each
speaker. This is a pain, but it's OLD SCHOOL, baby. ;-)

Good luck,

Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Ion Matt Ion is offline

wrote:
I checked the FAQ and couldn't find an answer to this one so here
goes.. I am newly the proud owner of a 1991 Geo Metro (don't laugh too
hard.. it gets 50 mpg!)

Hey, I bought a Geo Metro once!

Well... I didn't actually BUY it... I got it in a Happy Meal...

and it came to me with a gaping hole where the
radio is supposed to be. I'd like to install the original radio but
haven't had any luck finding one as yet and so I ponder options.

Tried an auto wrecker?

There's a plug hanging from the harness in there that I assume is
somehow Chevy proprietary and perhaps even 1991 specific but I don't
know.. which is why I'm here. What exactly is involved with installing
an aftermarket radio?? I mean.. do I simply plug in the new radio to
this harness or do I need some sort of adapter, which might be
different for every radio out there, or do I have to trace out the
wires and build my own new plug??? I said I was a newbie.. I hope I
haven't offended anybody by asking such a rediculously elementary
question. Thank you!

You should be able to find a connector to plug into that harness, that will have
color-coded wires to connect to a new deck. If a local stereo shop doesn't have
it, Crutchfield will:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Y2K9PUL...00&I=120701782

"Receiver Wire Harness
For select 1985-up Chevrolet, Geo, Isuzu, Pontiac, and Suzuki models"
Posted to rec.audio.car
[email protected] ripprou@hotmail.com is offline

The intermediate harness is a great suggestion as I know DH doesn't
want to hack up the car. And yes.. we have checked the local wreckers
and struck out. There's a big one about 60 miles from here that I'll
get to after the holidays.. but it's nice to know there's an
alternative to cutting up the original harness. Thank you very much for
your excellent suggestions. =)