Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ken in Dallas Ken in Dallas is offline

Default Anyone experienced with soundcards?

Can anyone tell me why when recording into
a consumer soundcard with XY condensers
through a Soundcraft board I'm getting no
signal from the balanced line to the recorder,
and the unbalanced signal is small and appears
to be mono. It turns the pan pot into an odd
volume control that goes from loud to very
soft and back to loud when you pan
left-center-right.

Running balanced lines into a stand-alone
Olympus digital recorder I get perfect results.
I want to record into the PC to get more
control. It's a fairly new Gateway desktop
with a Creative SB Live board.

I'm connecting to the Line In. The Mic In
circuit on the PC is mono despite being
wired to accept a stereo jack. I guess they
don't want complaints of a hum in one ear,
so they wire whatever might arrive down
to mono to match the Mic In of the computer.

I make guitars and some ethnic/folk
instruments, which I sell world wide over the
net. I've made recordings of my work available
since the '70s. My analog equipment is shot.
It's time for me to migrate to digital.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ken in Dallas