Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
The Alamo

Default Console Channel levels vs stereo bus levels?

Hi All,

I was wondering on your approaches on stereo bus output levels (while
mixing) in order to keep those levels under control: here's the situation:

we send all tracks (separately) from PT HD to an SSL console. The stereo
mix is converted to digital with a HEDD192 and recorded in Sadie.
PT is referenced to 0VU = -18dB(FS). Most of the time, the tracks we get
(to mix) arrive at fairly hot levels (distortion guitarsliving in the -2 to
-4 dB range). So, already by sending out everything at 0 out to the SSL, the
console's meters tend to be pegged from the start.
Throw in a few dB's of compression where needed and we'll end up with a mix
that is WAY too hot (By the way, on the SSL's output 0 VU = -14dB). Not to
mention that it is also too hot for the HEDD (also calibrated for 0VU =
-14dB).
So what's to do?
1/ Lower the master fader on the console? possibly yes, but if the levels
are that hot, will the tracks not already be distorted prior to their
arrival at the quad bus? or at the quad bus input?

2/ Lower the output levels in PT so that the tracks hit the console at a
lower starting level? Is that a good way to start or would you rather
recalibrate PT so that for instance 0VU=-14dB (and thus reducing the
headroom by 4 dB??)

3/ Bring down the individual faders by x dB? Yes but this is not an option
when you're halfway a mix as it changes levels to sends, submaster inserts
etc...

4/ Recalibrate the HEDD? 0VU=-16dB is the most you can get (I believe) but
then that would still not solve the problem if the quad bus is overloading??

How do you folks deal with this? How's the headroom and calibration thing
affecting you?

Thanks & All The Best,

R.