Pooh Bear

No, you're not crazy but you won't achieve a great deal for $200. You could
spend a large proportion ( if not all ) of that alone on decent crossover
networks. Which you also have to design ! And there's more to it than the
cookbook says btw.

It would be a learning experience though.

The economics of volume manufacturing mean that you'll be able to buy a better
set of speakers than you can make for the same money.

Graham

Pooh Bear

Mac Cool wrote:

Car speakers are screwed into metal doors with plastic covers and they can
sound great.

They can also sound truly awful.

This is a result you have to consider.

Designing good speakers of today's qualities requires an extensive knowledge
of the physics involved plus a certain amount of 'black art'. There's a lot
more to it than just a box with a speaker screwed in.

Graham

Pooh Bear

Mac Cool wrote:

Paul Stamler:

Vance Dickason's "Loudspeaker Design Cookbook" strikes an excellent
balance between beginner-friendliness and technical sophistication,
rather more so IMHO than Weems's. The criticisms in the Amazon review
are, I think, overstated. Oh, and for a very reasonable fee the folks
at Madisound will design a crossover for whatever drivers you want.

That's two votes for Dickason's book. I'll see if I can find it at Barnes
& Noble.

Does that come out of the $200 ?

Ker-ching !

Graham

hank alrich

Mac Cool wrote:

I don't misunderstand at all... it is a flawed analogy. Anyone with the
tools and will can build a quite servicable boat. It may not be a yacht or
racing boat, it won't be perfect, but it will provide pleasure and be a
source of pride for the builder.

What I do understand is that some people know what they know, but do not
know how they know it.

Okay, enough with the malarkey. You want to build speakers, so get to
it. People here with plenty of experience have suggested references and
potential pitfalls. Enjoy.

Since you've not built either a boat or speakers it'll be a learning
experience.

--
ha

hank alrich

Pooh Bear wrote:

Mac Cool wrote:

Car speakers are screwed into metal doors with plastic covers and they can
sound great.

They can also sound truly awful.

This is a result you have to consider.

Designing good speakers of today's qualities requires an extensive knowledge
of the physics involved plus a certain amount of 'black art'. There's a lot
more to it than just a box with a speaker screwed in.

But he could go to a junkyard, buy a matched pair of car doors, install
speakers and dig the great sound. Then he could get a trunk lid and a
hood and weld 'em together and have a boat, too!

Resources R Us!

--
ha

William Sommerwerck

My opinion is that, once you've built your own speakers, you'll continually be
trying to upgrade them. In other words, don't expect to remain long-satisfied
with your first pair.

Two other points...

Good drivers and crossover components are not cheap. You can easily spend $200
on them before you get to...

....the wood for the cabinet. Don't skimp. You'll probably want MDF or better.

http://www.design-technology.org/mdf.htm

Paul Stamler

"TonyP" wrote in message
u...

"Paul Stamler" wrote in message
If you have decent data on the drivers, which some manufacturers supply

and
some don't, you can build a pair of good speakers without most of those
resources. You'll probably need to tweak the L-pads in the crossovers to

get
the balance right. It's hard, but doable.

And you would still have no idea about cabinet reflections, resonances,

etc.
unless you have measurement facilities.

Quite right. But you can, with some good planning, build good speakers
without them. Not fantastic speakers, but good speakers. With measurement
facilities, you can take a big leap upward (pun intended), but without them,
if you take care to follos some good design practices, you can still do
quite well.

What's much harder is to build
multiple copies of the speaker, reliably and repeatably. *That* takes

all
the resources you can muster and then some.

Your method relies on the manufacturers data, so you have already ignored
driver tolerances. It's not that hard to build boxes to similar

tolerances.

Exactly. (Well, almost exactly -- I didn't ignore driver tolerances. That's
the crossover tweaking.) In fact, it's a lot easier to make boxes to close
tolerances than drivers. You can build boxes in a home shop to a tolerance
of, say, 1/16". If the shortest dimension of a speaker box is 6", that's
about 1%, less of course with the longer dimensions. Typical drivers have a
5% or 10% spec tolerance. That's why it's so much easier to produce *one*
good speaker than many. Tweak the crossover L-pad(s) a little, and Bob's
your uncle (especially with a closed-box system, which is somewhat less
sensitive to differences in drivers than a vented box). Build a whole heap
of them and you either have to throw out a lot of drivers or do a lot of
tweaking. Or accept speakers that vary all over the place.

Peace,
Paul

Paul Stamler

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message

No, you're not crazy but you won't achieve a great deal for $200. You

could
spend a large proportion ( if not all ) of that alone on decent crossover
networks. Which you also have to design ! And there's more to it than the
cookbook says btw.

It would be a learning experience though.

The economics of volume manufacturing mean that you'll be able to buy a

better
set of speakers than you can make for the same money.

For $200? Naah. Here's a breakdown (all prices from Madisound):

Vifa 6.5" woofers: 2 @ $41/ea = $82
Vifa 1" dome tweeters: 2 @ $26/ea = $52
Inductors for crossover: $24
Capacitors for crossover: $30
Resistors for crossover: $2
Connector cups: $4

That's $194, and I'm assuming polypropylene capacitors and a 24dB/octave
crossover. Add a couple of bucks for Zobel networks on the woofer, and $200
for the parts is about right. Then of course there's the wood. But for $200
worth of parts you can build a 6" two-way that beats the absolute crap out
of anything you can buy at that price, *and* learn a lot, *and*, if you're
inclined that way, have a lot of fun. It won't beat a $2000 pair of
monitors, of course not. But if you look at what's out there for $200 these
days, you won't find much decent.

Peace,
Paul

Laurence Payne

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 17:57:32 GMT, Mac Cool wrote:

I would like to build a set of floor speakers, maybe a tweeter, midrange
and one or two woofers but I'm beginning to wonder if it would be easier
to build my own space shuttle. I've read one book by David Weems,
Designing, Building, and Testing Your Own Speaker System, it's the only
book on the subject at my local library. Being a total neophyte, the book
was of marginal help, so I went looking on Amazon. The speaker building
books I found on Amazon suffered the same criticisms as Weem's book so I'm
not sure where to start.

I'll be honest, I have a small budget ($200+wood), but I do have all the
necessary tools, I just want to build some nice speakers. I will settle
for plans but all the plans I found were for sub boxes.

I should mention that the speakers will be used in a smallish room, 11x16
feet and that I have congenital hearing damage (about 40% right ear, 20%
left ear) and I have difficulty distinguishing midrange sounds; so
spending lots of money would be a waste anyway. I actually have extremely
good hearing at high frequencies. The speakers will be built to match an
existing entertainment center (height will be ~40-50", width 8-10", depth
can be whatever).

If you're hoping to get good speakers cheap and easy, forget it.
If you're looking to start a hobby of do-it-yourself speaker
construction, great! Get one of the books on speaker design and have
a go.

If a priority is to fit prettily into an existing setup, you're making
the job infinitely harder. Speakers need to be the size they need to
be. And to be placed where they sound best in a room. If cosmetic
considerations limit your choices of either, you aren't likely to get
good sound whatever you buy or build.

Blind Joni

People begin with analogies when they have poor communication skills. The
only thing to 'get' is that this person either lacks the communication
skills to express their thoughts or doesn't know anything to begin with,
doesn't matter to me.

Sometimes, but it also depends on the listen skills and openmindedness of the
listener. I have one aquaintance who only understands body work analogies when
trying to make points on value of audio services compared to other valued
services.

John A. Chiara
SOS Recording Studio
Live Sound Inc.
Albany, NY
www.sosrecording.net
518-449-1637

hank alrich

x-no archive: yes

Mac Cool wrote:

People begin with analogies when they have poor communication skills.

Hold up your end of the stick before you start thinking to poke with it.

--
ha

hank alrich

Ben Bradley wrote:

... { other stuff snipped }

Resources R Us!

Speaking of DIY speakers, I first read this as:

Resonances R Us!

= a small leak along the starboard chine...

--
ha

Maxy

Nothing to laugh about... ':-)
It started as a joke and now I am an owner of the biggest top-class hifi
italian factories ....

"hank alrich" ha scritto nel messaggio
. ..
Ben Bradley wrote:

... { other stuff snipped }

Resources R Us!

Speaking of DIY speakers, I first read this as:

Resonances R Us!

= a small leak along the starboard chine...

--
ha

Paul Winkler

"Paul Stamler" wrote in message ...
But if you look at what's out there for $200 these
days, you won't find much decent.

I dunno, I kinda like the PSB Alpha. You can find the B model for $200 / pair.

(re-lurk)

Geoff Wood

Everybody should build their own speakers - it's part of growing up. I'm
about o embark on a 1KW sub, so I guess I haven't finished growing up
yet....

geoff