Mike Rivers

Default Alanis on Soundstage

I guess maybe I've never consciously heard Alanis Morisette before,
but I tuned in Soundstage this evening out of boredom and curiosity.
At least I guess it was Alanis. That's what the program guide said.
I missed the opening and turned it off before the closing credits.

It was hard to tell for sure if she was singing in English - combination
of poor articulation, vocal mannerisms, and too-splashy drums , I think.
And does she really play guitar with gloves on? (not that it looked like
we could hear her guitar in the mix anyway) Her vocals sounded to me
like the caricature of Celene Dion that they do on Mad TV.

Soundstage is usually pretty good audiowise. Maybe it's just the shows
I choose to watch. Pop music - gotta love it!

Oh, well. Alanis got famous in the audio community for recording her
first (big hit) record on ADATs.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )
Nathan West

Mike Rivers wrote:

It was hard to tell for sure if she was singing in English - combination
of poor articulation, vocal mannerisms, and too-splashy drums , I think.

I thought so as well. I couldn't' for the life of me figure out what she and
her audio team were trying to put across. I only lasted 2 1/2 songs.

Oh, well. Alanis got famous in the audio community for recording her
first (big hit) record on ADATs.

I think you misspelled *distorting* as *recording*.

--
Nathan

"Imagine if there were no Hypothetical Situations"

Mondoslug1

Nathan West wrote:

I thought so as well. I couldn't' for the life of me figure out what she and
her audio team were trying to put across.

Does her "audio team" actually have anything to do with this taping? It's hands
off on some TV stuff.

I only lasted 2 1/2 songs.

Oh, well. Alanis got famous in the audio community for recording her
first (big hit) record on ADATs.

I think you misspelled *distorting* as *recording*.

--
Nathan

"Imagine if there were no Hypothetical Situations"

Me at:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/andymostmusic.htm

Nathan West

Mondoslug1 wrote:

Does her "audio team" actually have anything to do with this taping? It's hands
off on some TV stuff.

Alanis has it in her rider that her company provides the FOH, Monitors and Media
feeds for her events. From personal experience her management will not move on that
item.

--
Nathan

"Imagine if there were no Hypothetical Situations"

Analogeezer

(Mike Rivers) wrote in message news:znr1094692415k@trad...
I guess maybe I've never consciously heard Alanis Morisette before,
but I tuned in Soundstage this evening out of boredom and curiosity.
At least I guess it was Alanis. That's what the program guide said.
I missed the opening and turned it off before the closing credits.

It was hard to tell for sure if she was singing in English - combination
of poor articulation, vocal mannerisms, and too-splashy drums , I think.
And does she really play guitar with gloves on? (not that it looked like
we could hear her guitar in the mix anyway) Her vocals sounded to me
like the caricature of Celene Dion that they do on Mad TV.

Soundstage is usually pretty good audiowise. Maybe it's just the shows
I choose to watch. Pop music - gotta love it!

Oh, well. Alanis got famous in the audio community for recording her
first (big hit) record on ADATs.

That's her style Mike, she sort of pronounces words and articulates in
a weird sort of way....never hurt Dylan or Robert Plant did it?

Far more lame than this....I caught a glimpse of some LL Cool J thing,
I like him in the movies ok, but talk about a Hip-Hop carictature....

Basically he just walked around the stage, doing that arm waving over
the head thing they all do, and then would grab his junk periodically
like he really had to ****.

Maybe at some point this was cutting edge, but to me it's about as
beat as rock guitar guys in satin bell bottoms with dragons on the
sides.

Analogeezer

Blind Joni

Far more lame than this....I caught a glimpse of some LL Cool J thing,
I like him in the movies ok, but talk about a Hip-Hop carictature....

Basically he just walked around the stage, doing that arm waving over
the head thing they all do, and then would grab his junk periodically
like he really had to ****.

Maybe at some point this was cutting edge, but to me it's about as
beat as rock guitar guys in satin bell bottoms with dragons on the
sides.

This is the state of Hip Hop and even some newer R&B...all about attitude and
little or no musical talent required. I saw a male "singer" on one of the late
night shows last night..I was embarassed. This would not happen 20 years ago.

John A. Chiara
SOS Recording Studio
Live Sound Inc.
Albany, NY
www.sosrecording.net
518-449-1637

MacKerr

Mike Rivers:

I'm not sure if I've ever listened to Robert Plant, but at least I can
understand Dylan's words. I really couldn't understand much of what
Alanis was singing on this show. Her speaking voice was very clear. BRBR

I'm pretty sure you've listened to Robert Plant, do the words "Stairway to
Heaven" ring a bell. I did a live show with Alanis where her soundman did
everything he could think of to make her sound like crap. Totally
unintelligable. Between her mic and the 2 guitars with 60 fx pedals between
them it was not a good time. Other artists on the same show sounded great. I
also did her episode of VH1 Storytellers, and she sounded fine, but the TV part
was mixed someone from Effanel, either Randy Ezratty or John Harris IIRC. It
sounded fine on TV.

Mac Kerr

**bg**

Frank Sinatra and his training brought us one of the greatest pop vocal
enunciators and pronouncers of all time.

One of the finest vocalists ever was Frank Sinatra.

Worth studying.

-bg-

--
www.thelittlecanadaheadphoneband.ca
www.lchb.ca

"U-CDK_CHARLES\Charles" "Charles wrote in message
On 9 Sep 2004 15:30:57 -0400, Mike Rivers wrote:

In article
writes:

That's her style Mike, she sort of pronounces words and articulates in
a weird sort of way....never hurt Dylan or Robert Plant did it?

I'm not sure if I've ever listened to Robert Plant, but at least I can
understand Dylan's words. I really couldn't understand much of what
Alanis was singing on this show. Her speaking voice was very clear.
Perhaps someone should tell her about this problem. Or maybe the
theory is that her songs are so intellectual (I'm told that most of
them are) that you really have to concentrate in order to get the
meaning out of them.

It's hard to sing in English. We have all sorts of weird sounds that
aren't especially voice friendly.

Take a listen to a world-class opera singer, and listen CAREFULLY to
what they're actually singing, especially as they go up in pitch. Yet
there's seldom any problem with vocal intellegibility--please don't cite
particular past-their-prime tenors who've been singing on their
reputation since the 60's.

Once you get used to listening that way, you'll notice pop singers doing
"Sing-glish" as well, albeit not to the same degree, as they aren't
generally working as hard to compete with an orchestra.

I never had trouble understanding Robert Plant, nor Alanis' recordings,
so perhaps it was a problem with the production?

Mike Rivers

In article cs20d.371$AC.222@trndny05 writes:

It's hard to sing in English. We have all sorts of weird sounds that
aren't especially voice friendly.

That's about the best excuse for inarticulate singing that I've heard
yet. Gotta remember that whenever someone accuses me of mumbling when
I try to sing.

Take a listen to a world-class opera singer, and listen CAREFULLY to
what they're actually singing, especially as they go up in pitch.

Sorry, I can't stand opera singers, and most of them don't sing in
English anyway. Whatever point you're trying to prove, it's not
working on me.

I never had trouble understanding Robert Plant, nor Alanis' recordings,
so perhaps it was a problem with the production?

Depends on what you lump into "production." As I said, when she was
speaking (which was pretty much limited to introducing band members,
as much as I heard) her voice was perfectly clear and easy to
understand. I think some of what I was noticing was her vocalization
of non-verbal sounds beween words, so there was never a moment of
silence and it was hard to tell when a word ended and the next one
started. Maybe I just needed better drugs.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )

TarBabyTunes

I couldn't understand her either, but I was able to get a lot of the words from
lip-reading the first four or five rows of the audience.

stv
TarBabyTunes

I couldn't understand her either, but I was able to get a lot of the words from
lip-reading the first four or five rows of the audience.

stv
Kent Kingery

"agent86" wrote in message
. ..

Imagine fingernails on a chalkboard....

...amplified.

....with a large dose of whiny teenage girl thrown in for good measure.

Kent

agent86

Andre Majorel wrote:

Not that I'm comparing Alanis Morrissette with opera singers. In
fact, I don't even know what her voice _sounds_like_.

Imagine fingernails on a chalkboard....

...amplified.

Peter Kaersaa

In article cs20d.371$AC.222@trndny05, "U-CDK_CHARLES
\\Charles" "Charles says...
It's hard to sing in English. We have all sorts of weird sounds that
aren't especially voice friendly.

Now that is funny
I know a lot of singers here in Denmark, 90% of them sing in
English.
Nr. one reason is that English is so easy and soft to sing in.
There are not many weird sounds in English compared to Danish.
Nr. two reason is if you make a hit it has potential to sell
over most the world and not just some few thousand local.
I guess it depends where in the world you're from, foreign
language can be a nice thing when the lyrics are crap.

Alanis was on German television the other day, some remix
playback of "black velvet", the audience absolutely loved her,
standing ovations and all.

--
/ Peter Kaersaa

Geoff Wood

Mike Rivers wrote:
I guess maybe I've never consciously heard Alanis Morisette before,
but I tuned in Soundstage this evening out of boredom and curiosity.
At least I guess it was Alanis. That's what the program guide said.
I missed the opening and turned it off before the closing credits.

It was hard to tell for sure if she was singing in English -
combination of poor articulation, vocal mannerisms, and too-splashy
drums , I think. And does she really play guitar with gloves on? (not
that it looked like we could hear her guitar in the mix anyway) Her
vocals sounded to me like the caricature of Celene Dion that they do
on Mad TV.

Soundstage is usually pretty good audiowise. Maybe it's just the shows
I choose to watch. Pop music - gotta love it!

Oh, well. Alanis got famous in the audio community for recording her
first (big hit) record on ADATs.

.... which just goes to show that it's the music, not the technological
sales-point-du-jour. The Beatles did it with 4-tracks.

FWIW I saw her here in NZ about 6 years ago and she/they were/was great.
She didn't have gloves then, but shook her big hair (head) around a lot....

goeff

Geoff Wood

**bg** wrote:
Frank Sinatra and his training brought us one of the greatest pop
vocal enunciators and pronouncers of all time.

One of the finest vocalists ever was Frank Sinatra.

Worth studying.

Yeah.. Great annunciation.

geoff

Geoff Wood

**bg** wrote:
Frank Sinatra and his training brought us one of the greatest pop
vocal enunciators and pronouncers of all time.

One of the finest vocalists ever was Frank Sinatra.

Worth studying.

Yeah.. Great annunciation.

geoff

Howard's Three Channel Solution Carl Valle Audio Opinions 3 September 7th 04 08:54 PM
holographic soundstage? Philip Meech High End Audio 9 April 28th 04 01:09 AM
Imaging, soundstage, 3D Ban High End Audio 4 February 17th 04 06:18 AM
Soundstage fastfwd Audio Opinions 2 October 1st 03 11:24 PM
Scratching sound across variable volumes in front soundstage? eidsvikDM Car Audio 1 August 18th 03 07:57 AM