Posted to rec.audio.high-end
fogdog

Default affordable turntable

Any suggestions on a sub $200 turntable? I'm just looking for a good
bang for the buck. I checked out Denon's DP-29F which looks to be a
decent deal.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
bob

fogdog wrote:
Any suggestions on a sub $200 turntable? I'm just looking for a good
bang for the buck. I checked out Denon's DP-29F which looks to be a
decent deal.

Not hardly. This turntable comes with a proprietary cartridge that
tracks at a wicked 3.5 grams. Good for making vinyl shavings.

I suggest instead a Technics SL-BD20 turntable, available at a very
good price he

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=25127

This table takes a p-mount cartridge, which tracks at a much more
reasonable 2 grams, so it won't chew up your records. Unlike the Denon,
this table does not include a phono preamp, but if you've had a
turntable, you probably already have that.

You might want to upgrade the cartridge. Grado, Stanton, and Ortofon
all make p-mount carts.

bob
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
mike

fogdog wrote:
Any suggestions on a sub $200 turntable? I'm just looking for a good
bang for the buck. I checked out Denon's DP-29F which looks to be a
decent deal.

The Music Hall MMF 2 gets rave reviews from all stereo mags as a great
entry table. Try the Audio Advisor for new. E-bay for used? I've been
using an MMF 5 for the last year. For the most part a good sounding unit.
Mike Mueller
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Uptown Audio

Default decent turntable

I would try to find one used locally or arrange to extend your budget.
A good cartridge costs that much. The trouble here is that there are
not so many turntables made and they all involve machine work and
labor as they are built by hand. That gets expensive. Since they are
entirely mechanical devices, they need to be built to very high
standards in order to sound good. You simply can't buy a really decent
set for less than about $500. I would either pony-up to that level or
skip it and stick to CDs. If you do find a good used table locally,
you will need to get a good cartridge and align it properly. Cartridge
alignment is critical for best sound and record life. The table may
have quite a few adjustments on it that also need to be set correctly
for proper performance. It's not a cheapie medium to get good sound
quality from. You can get poor sound quality and trash someones
records rather cheaply however. Good luck!
-Bill
www.uptownaudio.com
Roanoke VA
(540) 343-1250

"fogdog" wrote in message
Any suggestions on a sub $200 turntable? I'm just looking for a
good bang for the buck. I checked out Denon's DP-29F which looks to
be a decent deal.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Dogs Breath

"fogdog" wrote in message
Any suggestions on a sub $200 turntable? I'm just looking for a
good bang for the buck. I checked out Denon's DP-29F which looks to
be a decent deal.

While what our friend has said, might be true, in some cases, he sounds like
, he has the only turntable in the world, with every problem known to
turntables, and seems to think that every used turntable will require a
multitude of adjustment, plus a new expensive stylus, to perhaps get a bit
of quality of sound.
While you can pay an absolute fortune, and still have all the troubles our
friend describes, You can also pay next to nothing, at a garage // yard
sale, and get a perfect Hi-end turntable, simply because Dad died, and Mum
is having a clear out.
I picked up a Nottingham Analogue, with two tone arms at the local
recyclers [garbage tip] for five bucks . Admittedly had I payed more , I
might also have got a load of problems
bassett