Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] jrg.roberts@gmail.com is offline

Default Recording Bit and Sample Rates

On Tuesday, 7 January 2020 06:20:06 UTC+1, Here in Oregon wrote:
On Friday, September 16, 2005 at 12:49:00 PM UTC-7, Here in Oregon wrote:
Here in Oregon wrote:
Would anybody be brave enough to reveal what sample rate you are
recording with?

I'm just real curious what MOST people in this newsgroup are using with
all of these converters coming out coupled with the power of the new
computers and speed of the new hard drives.

24/44, 24/48, 24/96 16/22

Thanks for your input JP, Dave, Agent 86, Geoff, Mark, Scott, Paul,
Mike, Arny, Eric, Chris, RD, Fletch, Carey, David, Bob, Jonny, Danny,
Timo, and Les.

The consensus out of roughly twenty respondents....

11 are using 24/44.1
3 are using 16/44.1
3 are using 24/96
1 is using 24/48
1 is using 16/48
1 is using both 16/44.1 and 24/96

Mike Rivers wrote: Will you publish the result of this poll?

Only in the "New England Journal of Medicine"

Kidding!

Thanks to all the participants,... I can now sleep at night.

Hey guys, it has been 15 years since I took the last poll and I wanted to ask if you would chime in on what bit depth and sampling rate you are primarily using now e.g., 16/44, 24/44, 24/48, 24/96, 24/192, tape?

I would really appreciate your participation in this poll and as before I will post the results.

24/44.1, I don't do video but if I did 24/48, very rarely double those if I am intending analysis or special processing... though all my plugins oversample (I *think* all...)
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Gregory Allen Gregory Allen is offline

3.75 ips 4/8 track, 24/96
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 8/02/2020 1:58 am, Gregory Allen wrote:
3.75 ips 4/8 track,

HaHa. Wouldn't use that speed 40 years ago! If you can't do at least
7.5ips why on earth would you use tape these days? Fixated on watching
the reels spin and can't afford more tape? :-)
Just bounce the digital to tape if you want those distortions, at least
then you get a choice of any or all tracks with added noise and distortion.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Tuesday, 13 September 2005 23:37:17 UTC+2, Here in Oregon wrote:
Would anybody be brave enough to reveal what sample rate you are
recording with?

I'm just real curious what MOST people in this newsgroup are using with
all of these converters coming out coupled with the power of the new
computers and speed of the new hard drives.

24/44, 24/48, 24/96 16/22

James Roberts
12:35 (1 minute ago)
to rec.audio.pro

off topic
I *was* intrigued by 3.75/8 track. Never seen that format - apart from 8 track cartridge that is Or were you referring to 8 track on cassette? Some of those had used to use double speed, hadn't they? (Had to do something to get some s/n ratio!) I did have 4 track Portastudios, some of which had double speed recording...
My old commercial 8-track demo studio back when such things were viable used 8 track 1" 15/30ips and was really very good sounding... for the epoch, anyway. I've been trying to find someone with an 8 track 1" deck to transcribe some rare material off to DAW :-)

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Saturday, February 8, 2020 at 12:37:41 PM UTC, wrote:
[...]

You're right, it's a Tascam 238 and it takes standard type two cassettes. Tascam used to have a similar tape mechanism in a couple of their later portastudios, but they could only track 4 channels at once, whereas this can take all 8. I think all their standard 4 track portastudios use double speed as standard. It doesn't sound good by todays standards, or the standards of the time to be fair. It takes a hell of a lot less space than a standard reel to reel though, and space is a problem at the moment. In a perfect world I'd be working on 16 track 2" but unfortunately I've just got a regular 1/4" twin track... somewhere
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] jrg.roberts@gmail.com is offline

off topic
I seem to remember they had to stagger the heads to get 8 track sim recording to work. As I recall, the different manufacturers used different stagger factors which meant tape interchangeability was null

My 4-track porta was a bit better for that, but the Yamaha used DBX and the others Dolby C so still did not interchange. Now there are plugins to get the 'encoded but not decoded Dolby-A' sound, as if it was intended. Hrrrrr.