Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Default Bought a new cell-phone/MP3 player, a Blackberry 8300

I know this does not EXACTLY fit the forum but as it has 8 gigs (mith
micro-SD card) of RAM and has now replaced my 4 gig Sansa as my MP3 player
in my car, it sort of fits as a car audio accesory.

I needed a new cell phone and I just decided to splurge and get a
Blackberry. It is the coolest little device I have ever owned. I used to
have a Palm years ago, but this makes that old thing look like a toy. It is
truly the dream I have predicted for years of a small device that can do
ADSOLUTELY EVERYTHING, it is basically a very small computer. I can surf
the Internet, send Emails, Bluetooth enabled, I can download countless
additional applications or games that fit my needs, it takes pictures, plays
videos, displays pictures, plays MP3's, is obviously an organizer, has a
large INCREDIBLY crystal clear screen, is easy to type on as it has a querty
type keypad, and, oh yes, is also a phone.

It is truly the device I have predicted for many years would eventually come
along. I can ditch my organizer, MP3 and video player, and old cell phone.

It is remarkable how small the device is (the screen takes up most of the
front) yet how feature packed it is. It is truly the future realized. The
ONLY feature the 8300 does not have is GPS capability which is fine for me
as I really have no need for such a feature (I've never had one in my car
either as I don't have a job that requires me to find addresses or any other
need to find places on the fly). Though the temptation was there to have
one that could do EVERYTHING a Blackberry is capable of, I just couldn't
rationalize the price increase for a feature I know I would never use.

Anyway, these things are VERY cool and as opposed to buying a new MP3 player
if you are syhopping for one, I would seriously consider looking into a
Blackberry instead. With micro SD cards now capable of 32 gigs, you could
put a VAST amount of media (movies, entire music collections, photos, ect.)
on one AND you would have a phone, organizer, games and other apps. and
camera.

Anyway, I'm tickled pink with mine. They are very intuative and extremelly
easy to use.

This (and others like it) are truly the future.

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
Mister.Lull Mister.Lull is offline

Welcome to the Future!

:-)

I too have a bluetooth enabled phone/mp3 player, and it also has all
my mp3s loaded onto it. But I found a couple of issues with it that
I'd like to pass on... Mine is the Verizon LG Chocolate (wanted the
mp3 and bluetooth capability, but didn't need the blackberry as I have
no desire to pay for the data plan that requires).

First, I bought a nifty little device (Jabra BT3030) that I thought
would allow me to connect my phone to my stereo via bluetooth. I was
almost right. The BT3030 is a stereo enabled bluetooth receiver with
a standard 3.5mm line out jack and a built in microphone. This allows
you to use any standard set of headphones to stream music from your
phone (via bluetooth), and take phone calls at the same time. It kind
of looks like a dog tag. Since I have a 3.5mm input for my HU in the
car, I thought, "This will be perfect! Not only can I use this as my
hands free device, but I can use this to turn my car stereo into one
big speaker-phone!" No more fiddling with the stereo when I get a
call, it automatically pauses the music, I press ONE button, and BLAM
- I'm on the phone! Like I said, I was almost right. The piece I was
forgetting, was that there is no feedback cancellation on the BT3030.
So whenever I plugged it in to my car, everything was perfect for me -
but whoever was on the other line heard an echo of everything they
said. Turning the volume down, fading the speakers, moving the device
(microphone) did nothing to alleviate this - simply because the device
was not meant to be used this way... So there's a heads-up for you,
if you want to connect your new phone to your stereo, make sure that
there's some sort of feedback cancellation.

Second, the shuffle feature on my phone sucks. 800+ songs, and I hear
the same 30 (or less) over, and over, and over, and over... This
wouldn't be such a pain in the ass, except that's how I like to listen
to my music. It's all mine, I specifically ripped/downloaded each
song, I like all of it - so I throw it all on my mp3 player and play
it all on shuffle. You have an entirely different phone, so my hope
for you is that either your shuffle feature is better than mine, or
you don't listen to your music that way...

Just sharing the pain of my experience for your benefit!

~Mister.Lull

On Jun 7, 2:47*pm, "MOSFET" wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

So there's a heads-up for you,
if you want to connect your new phone to your stereo, make sure that
there's some sort of feedback cancellation.

Wow, thanks for the heads-up. That's EXACTLY what I was thinking when I
bought the phone, a call comes in, pauses my music, press one button and my
stereo becomes my cell-phone speaker. Now I haven't transferred my service
over to the phone yet (I just got it), I have just been playing with all the
other stuff the phone can do like downloading apps and trasnferring my music
to it. Unlike my sister-in-law's Samsung phone (the model number escapes
me, but it's fancy too with querty keyboard and she can surf the net and
send Emails with it), the Blackberry has a 3.5" output so it works perfectly
as my new in-car MP3 player (I wouldn't have bought it if it didn't have a
3.5" headphone output). So I, like you, imagined being able to integrate my
cell-phone with my stereo, I hadn't thought about the feedback issue but
you're right, that's something to consider. For instance, I hate it when
you're talking to someone on a cell-phone and they have you on "speaker",
most phones do not take the feedback problem into account and you hear
yourself 1/2 second after you've said something, making talking very
difficult (for a while I thought this was due to problems with the cell
connection until I finally figured out what was going on and needless to say
I now ask anyone I talk to to turn the speakerphone function off).

But man, I hadn't even considered that this very problem could now be mine
as well. I've never in the past considered integrating my cell-phone with
my stereo as you have to buy a Bluetooth adaptor for my Alpine and so on.
If I get calls in my car, I just use the single cord ear-piece/microphone
my LG came with. You have no idea how many calls I have missed when I have
my stereo cranked. It annoys my wife to no end.

So like you, the idea of integrating my MP3 player and stereo with my phone
was part of what made the Blackberry so attractive to me. I mean, I will
use the planner and perhaps some of the other apps but I am not planning on
paying to connect to the internet, I just don't forsee needing to send or
recieve emails to anyone so badly that I can't simply wait until I get home.
I mean, I think it's cool that the feature is there and I know my
sister-in-law uses her new Samsung all the time to surf the net and send
Emails, but her computer is not connected to the net and she is rarely at
home, so it makes perfect sense for her to have on-the-go internet access.

In going through the owner's manual, I don't see anything that would
indicate the Blackberry has any type of feedback supression. Hmmmm.....
Once I'm connected (I'm waiting for a Cingular SIM card I bought over the
Internet, I know I could get one for free if I commited to some kind of
plan, but I hate being tied down like that) I will see if that's a problem
for me as well, my hunch is that it will be. Oh well, at least I won't miss
calls anymore as this is my permenant MP3 player and MP3's are all I listen
to. But it sounds like I probably won't be able to use my stereo as my
phone "output" as I hoped, I'll have to work something else out. You're
right, I'm sure that's not exactly how they designed the phone to work in
the car (they assume you'll use Bluetooth in some manor like a cordless
earpiece or the cheap non-Bluetooth simple corded ear-piece/microphone like
I use now).

Besides turning the volume down and moving the microphone, how else do you
deal with that problem as I will no doubt have the same issue?

I actually have NEVER used the shuffle feature of ANY music device I have
ever owned in my entire life. I am the type who seems to always want to
hear a particular song NOW (or at least a particular genera of music, NOW).
MANY years ago I used to always be changing CD's, like I always was putting
a CD in to hear one single song, then putting in another and so on. Today I
have my music broken up into about 10 directories (catagories of music) so I
don't have to shuffle through a thousand songs to hear the one I want (this
is how I have done it for at least 10 years now, first on a collection of
several CD's (each a different genera), then directories on a single DVD
when I got a DVD burner, and then later directories on my flash drive MP3
players) and I am always forwarding or reversing to hear a particular song.
So a problem with the shuffle function will clearly not be a problem for me.

But like I said I'm concerned about this feedback issue and am curious how I
can still integrate my stereo with my phone, avoid Bluetooth (as I don't
want to spend $150 on an Alpine Bluetooth adaptor), but not annoy those on
the other end with feedback. Hmmmm...... Ideas?

Nick

Posted to rec.audio.car
Mister.Lull Mister.Lull is offline

Well you'll be happy to know that the Alpine attachment will (well,
should) cancel out the feedback!

My problem was using a bluetooth device that didn't integrate with the
HU at all (except of course to plug in for sound), and therefore
couldn't recognize any sound to cancel out. The attachments that
fully interface with a deck are specifically designed to make sure
that my problem doesn't happen. :-)

Let's hear that sigh of relief!

~Mister.Lull

On Jun 9, 4:12*pm, "MOSFET" wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Funny story, I ended up returning the Blaclberry for a host of reasons.
First, IT DID echo as you predicted and I DID NOT want to spend the
ridiculous amount of money Alpine wants for a Bluetooth adaptor. For
instance, I COULD spend $200 so I wouldn't need that extra Sirius Sportster
device, my Alpine 9855 would be my SAT radio reciever and have NEARLY all
the functionality of the Sportster. BUT WHY?!?!?!?!?! The Sportster has a
larger screen, 60 minutes worth of digital recording capability so I can
pause songs, replay them later, ect. The ONLY reason to buy it is to reduce
the clutter of devices mounted on my dash, but who the hell cares? Frankly,
the more displays, the more info.

In fact, that is still why I frequently use my portable DVD mounted on the
top of my dash (you can see pictures of it on Car Domain) becaue although
discs generally SUCK (they skip, the laser lense gets dirty, ect) because I
can display 30 songs at once and skip through pages of songs to find the one
I want, rather than skipping through one at a time. For this reason alone,
I still use DVD's for MP3's quite often, although I have an 8 gig nano.
When they come out with a portable DVD player with a 8-10" screen that has
an SD card input, NOW THAT will be something I will likely buy as I will be
able to combine the reliability of large capacity (8-16 gig) flash memory
with a large screen to display lists of songs at once to choose from.
THAT'S WHAT I WANT. Again, remember, I am a surfer when it comes to music
and anything that helps me display and scroll through large quantities of
titles is what I really like AND WANT. But I also LOVE flash memory as dics
are so DAMN unreliable, especially in an automotive environment where they
are often thrown around and you have extreme heat and cold effecting the
discs. I would love to do away with discs altogether and it is ONLY the
large screen size that keeps me still making MP3 DVD's.

Anyway, I returned the Blakcberry as I just found my good, old fashion nano
easier to use and my old phone works fine. I realized why buy a product I
will not be using most of the features (Bluetooth, Internet, Games, Planner,
ect.). The ONLY thing it had going for it was it's MP3 player that would
stop the song when a call came in, BUT I OWN 3 FLASH MP3 PLAYERS ALREADY AND
A GOOD, RELIABLE LG phone.

So it's gone, that's that. Frankly, your advice had MUCH to do with my
decision as the echo thing was ridiculous and I don't mind using the single
wire earpiece, microphone my LG has. It is NOT worth spending $200 on an
Alpine Bluetooth adaptor.

So that's that.

Nick

And the main reason, I'M CHEAP!!!!!!

[...]