Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Default Oh boy, Infinity Kappa tweets came today

Unfortunately, my wife has my car as her's has a flat at the moment. You
know I'm going to put these suckers in as soon as she comes home. I already
tested them and of course, being new, they work fine.

More details to follow. As I've said before, I'm currently using Infinity
silk dome Reference Series which actually sound very good EXCEPT at high
volumes where they don't exactly distort, but they SMEAR the very high
frequencies of certain songs that contain a great deal of high frequency
content, it's like WAY too much sybellance(sp). If you were the type who
never listened to music terribly loud, the Refference Series would probably
make a good choice as they actually have a great deal of detail and clarity.
As I've used them over the last few weeks I've actually grown to appreciate
them and with MOST songs, they do sound very good. But I could never live
with this smearing....

I expect that to be a thing of the past with the Infinity Kappa 10.7's and
their unique CMMD cones.

Stay tuned....

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Wow, I intalld them and am happy to report they are everything I expected
and more.

I listened to a whole mess of different songs and was blown away by the rich
details of the high-end. Like many great tweeters I've owned in the past, I
was hearing things in my music I had never heard before. They also can
tolerate TREMDOUS amounts of power without losing depth and clarity; I was
definately hearing harmonic overtones in many accoustic songs I had NEVER
heard before.

I would definately highly recommend the Infinity Kappa tweets to any one who
desires EXACT high frequency reproduction at any volume.

Another interesting thing about them was just how effecient they are. I
mean, even the REfference Series are efficient, but these were even more so.
I only had to JUST turn the outputs of my Coustic EQ to the 7 oclock
position (just barelely on) to have all the treble I needed. I thouight to
myself they really don't even need a dedicated outboard amp, but that's how
my system's built so "Oh well....".

Anyway, I am not dissatisfied in the least.

MOSFET

"MOSFET" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Default Quick correction from last post...

I said with the new Infinity Kappa 10.7's I had to only turn the gains up on
my Coustic X-over to the FIRST hash mark from the off position going then to
the RCA tweeter outputs, NOT EQ, as I incorrectly said in that last post.

As I've said many times in this group I use NOTHING but electronic or
digital X-overs. I don't have a single passive X-over in my system which
can attenuate the sound because of the small amout of current they absorb,
you only have to feel the heat an outboard passive X-over generates after a
period of time to tell you it's wasting precious sound watts. So I use for
my X-overs a powered Coustic X-over for my front midrange (high passed at
80Hz) and tweeter RCA outputs (high passed at 3500 Hz), and then the I use
the built in X-overs for both the rear-fill amp and then the built-in X-over
in my Alpine Class D MRV-850 sub amp.

Along with the small wattage drain, passives have a tendancy to effect
phasing and can lead to problems in that respect, and often can not be
simply fixed by the simple solution of inverting one speaker's inputs, which
only works perfectly if the speakers are EXACTLY 180 degrees out of phase.
If they are 90 degrees out of phase, for instance, there's not much you can
do about it other than try different speaker locations in an attempt to
bring the speakers closer together in terms of phase to allivate any
cancellation or staging issues. With electronic X-overs, I don't have those
phasing problems so I always have a very good sounstage with an incredibly
good centered, center image as well as a wide and deep soundstage with
every instrument etched in space, apparently located just at the top of my
dshboard. Listening to my car last night, you would SWEAR I have a center
channel.

Again, just a tip for all those out there, use the X-overs on amps, the
X-overs on HU's, or outboard electronic X-overs ALWAYS before passives if
possible. Besides the slight wattage loss, the signal will innevetiably be
SLIGHTLY degraded no matter what brand you use as seperate speaker
manuactures use inferrior small comonents in their outboard X-overs (to save
space is probably the main reason) even when talking about $1000+ separates
that come with a set of separates (capacitors, resistors and coils) that are
never as good as the very large varity the pros use that are better in every
way, starting with the fact that they are always matched MUCH better than
their small bretheren which often differ in performance by as much as 10%
which is allowable for those who manufacture that type.

I remember in my IASCA competing days back in the middle ninties, some
competitors would use these types of huge passive components and mount them
all on their amp rack, create an entirely new amp rack JUST for the passive
comonents or other places as they DO require a relatively large amount of
space.

Anyway, to all you newbees out there, if there's any way possible, stay away
from passive comonets for X-overs, even forgoing the passive X-overs that
came with your component set if possible.

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Default Geez, I'm really losing it....

In that last post I MEANT I had INCORRECTLY said I only had to turn up my EQ
slightly with these new tweets. What I of course meant was I only had to
turn up the gains on my X-over slightly with the new Kappa tweets.

It's these new damn heart meds for hypertension, I'm still getting used to
them but I think they sometimes confuse me a bit, but that will go away I'm
assured by my doctor (my wife would say I am ALWAYS confused, but that's
another subject....).

See you guys,
Nick aka MOSFET