Posted to rec.audio.tech
Dung Ping

Default Sound file conversion

I recorded my own voice with Windows Sound Recorder, so created wav
files. When converting the wav files to mp3 files with MediaCoder, an
extention, .m-ch, always automatically appears at the end. For
instance, the file 'abc' will become 'abc.m-ch'. The whole file name
hence becomes 'abc.m-ch.mp3'.

When saving wav file, the specification must be:
48.000 kHz. 16 bit, stereo 187 kb/sec

Or the quality of my voice will lose. The sound becomes sharper and
faster. I wonder what the m-ch extension at the end is.

I also like to know how to directly make mp3 or wma files.

Thanks.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Richard Crowley

"Dung Ping" wrote ...
I recorded my own voice with Windows Sound Recorder,
so created wav files. When converting the wav files to
mp3 files with MediaCoder, an extention, .m-ch, always
automatically appears at the end. For instance, the file 'abc'
will become 'abc.m-ch'. The whole file name hence becomes
'abc.m-ch.mp3'. I wonder what the m-ch extension at the end is.

There seem to be lots of suggestions for file conversion apps.
Dump it and use another one if it is doing strange things.

When saving wav file, the specification must be: 48.000 kHz.
16 bit, stereo 187 kb/sec Or the quality of my voice will lose.
The sound becomes sharper and faster.

Not sure what you mean by "sharper"? Do you mean that the
pitch and speed increase? Sounds like some different kind of
problem. You should be able to record quite listenable speech
at a fraction of that sample rate (and mono).

I also like to know how to directly make mp3 or wma files.

Total Recorder (http://www.highcriteria.com/) will record
from any source (including streaming sources) and will save
as WAV, WMA, MP3, and several other file types. The
price has gone up to US$18, still worth every penny.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Matt Ion

Richard Crowley wrote:

I also like to know how to directly make mp3 or wma files.

Total Recorder (http://www.highcriteria.com/) will record
from any source (including streaming sources) and will save
as WAV, WMA, MP3, and several other file types. The
price has gone up to US$18, still worth every penny.

Better yet, get Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net) - do it all
in one app, and it's open-source freeware.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0621-4, 05/26/2006
Tested on: 5/26/2006 3:40:16 PM

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Richard Crowley

"Matt Ion" wrote ...
Richard Crowley wrote:
I also like to know how to directly make mp3 or wma files.

Total Recorder (http://www.highcriteria.com/) will record
from any source (including streaming sources) and will save
as WAV, WMA, MP3, and several other file types. The
price has gone up to US$18, still worth every penny.

Better yet, get Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net) - do it all
in one app, and it's open-source freeware.

I can't find any way of exporting to WMA from Audacity?
Where is that function found?

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Dung Ping

Matt Ion wrote:
Richard Crowley wrote:

I also like to know how to directly make mp3 or wma files.

Total Recorder (http://www.highcriteria.com/) will record
from any source (including streaming sources) and will save
as WAV, WMA, MP3, and several other file types. The
price has gone up to US$18, still worth every penny.

Better yet, get Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net) - do it all
in one app, and it's open-source freeware.

Thank all for help. I downloaded the audacity, and did some recording.
When export the file as MP3, I was asked whether I like to locate
lame_enc.dll now? I clicked 'Yes'.

But it said 'Could not open MP3 encoding libary!' So I can only export
it as wav file, but not mp3.

I may have to try another software. It may be hard for other people to
figure out what the problem is without looking at my computer.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0621-4, 05/26/2006
Tested on: 5/26/2006 3:40:16 PM

Posted to rec.audio.tech
chris110000100101001

How about iTunes?

It uses LAME encoding and it's free

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Chris

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Matt Ion

Dung Ping wrote:
Matt Ion wrote:

Richard Crowley wrote:

I also like to know how to directly make mp3 or wma files.

Total Recorder (http://www.highcriteria.com/) will record
from any source (including streaming sources) and will save
as WAV, WMA, MP3, and several other file types. The
price has gone up to US$18, still worth every penny.

Better yet, get Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net) - do it all
in one app, and it's open-source freeware.

Thank all for help. I downloaded the audacity, and did some recording.
When export the file as MP3, I was asked whether I like to locate
lame_enc.dll now? I clicked 'Yes'.

But it said 'Could not open MP3 encoding libary!' So I can only export
it as wav file, but not mp3.

I may have to try another software. It may be hard for other people to
figure out what the problem is without looking at my computer.

Ah, yes, Audacity requires the LAME MP3 codec, which is also freeware...
forgot about that. It's a free download from many sites, including
this one: http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dl...shtml?lame_enc

Download it, unzip it, place the .dll file anywhere, and when Audacity
asks to locate it, just browse to where you put that file. That's all
there is to it - then it will save directly to MP3.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0621-4, 05/26/2006
Tested on: 5/28/2006 7:48:01 PM

Just for Ludovic Audio Opinions 64 November 19th 05 04:17 PM
enhancing early reflections? [email protected] Pro Audio 4 April 28th 05 05:51 PM
Some Mixing Techniques kevindoylemusic Pro Audio 78 February 16th 05 07:51 AM
Creating Dimension In Mixing- PDF available on Request (112 pages0 kevindoylemusic Pro Audio 14 February 14th 05 05:58 PM