Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.misc
Steve W.

Default Need headphones recommendation.

DaveJohnson12@nomail. wrote in message
I need something with enough volume and decent sound for a low price.

I had the
Sony MDR-25 that fit that description for $20. They don't make them

anymore.

It seems the ones I bought, Sony MDR-201V, don't get that much volume

out of
them.

The specs are almost identical to the MDR-25 and I don't know why one

model
would get lots of volume and the other not enough. Anybody know?

It looks like Sensitivity and Power Hadling Capacity may be the specs

that
determine volume. I'm kind of guessing really.

Sensitivity is as follows,

MDR-201V: 100 dB/mW

MDR-25: 102dB/mW

Power Handling Capacity is the same for both at 0.1 W.

Is 102 that much louder than 100?

I've tried them with an HP 7100 with integrated sound, a Dell GX280 (I

think)
with integrated sound and my 7 3/4 year old Dell with a Soundblaster

Value OEM
card. The GX280 had the lowest volume and the old Dell the hightest.

Thanks.

http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser...ones_dj_05180#

Sennheiser 212Pro

Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.misc
dave weil

On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 10:51:53 -0500, "Steve W."
wrote:

DaveJohnson12@nomail. wrote in message
.. .
[...]

One option that you might not have considered is the little headphone
amplifier, Boostaroo. An upside to it is that you can actually plug in
two additional headphones into it (don't know if this is even a
consideration for you though). The downside is that it runs on
batteries and they have to be replaced periodically. If you listen to
headphones a lot, then you can use rechargeables. But if you only
listen periodically, then you probably just want to use long-life
alkalines. It *does* claim to reduce battery usage if you use it with
a portable device, but I don't know if that's a consideration for you.
Plus, I'm still on my first set of alkalines, although I don't use it
all that often. I don't know what the battery usage is for heavy use,
but they claim 20 hours of average battery life.

The sound quality is quite good. And it's not all that expensive. You
could even use this on airlines, provided you had the proper plug
adaptors.

Here's a link:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/clearance/3399/?cpg=froogle

Others sell it as well and you can google the name if you want other
retail choices.

Just thought that you'd like another option.