Posted to rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tubes
paul packer

Default What are you listening right now?

On 16 Dec 2005 15:02:06 -0800, "Andre Jute" wrote:

Peter, you and Signal both have the wrong end of this stick. The advice
to limit one's playing of favourite discs is not based on any possible
damage to the discs, it is to protect one's discrimination and broaden
one's culture.

Glad you cleared that up, Andre, because I too was confused and
beginning to wonder what damage I'd inadvertently done my collection.
But the way you put it, "My friend Peter Allen...shared wise counsel
he received from a constant audiophile: don't play any of your discs
more than once a month and play it no more than twice," did seem to
suggest physical harm could result from too many laser passes! :-)
Posted to rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tubes
paul packer

On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 02:27:53 +0000, Pooh Bear
wrote:

Oh ! I never imagined the advice was to do with technical reasons (
obviously an insane concept ).

I thought he meant don't play it too often or you may tire of it and it
will lose its appeal.

I'd like to know how you arrived at this sage conclusion from what was
actually written.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tubes
Iain Churches

"Margaret von B." wrote in message

"Margaret von B." wrote in message

"Margaret von B." wrote in message
Dean Martin - That's Amore.

Denon all format player Nagra tube amps Avantgarde horns = Heaven.

Dean Martin IS singing in my music room. I can almost touch him. sigh
It is moments like this that only tubes and horns can create...when
everything is just right. Nothing can replicate the dynamics in my
experience...nothing can relax like a concert experience at one's own
house.

Thank you John Atkinson for carrying the torch for us enlightened ones!
:-)

Lined up on the RL trunk:

Jose Carreras - Misa Criolla
Shaggy - Mr. Lover Lover (The Best of)
Chuck Berry - The Chess Box

Cheers,

Margaret

I am just listening to James Taylor, "Gorilla"

"He's got arms like legs
He's got hands on his feet
He's got a nose like a doughnut
And a tendency to over eat

He don't use tools or weapons
He dont eat meat
He likes to stick to the bushes
Tends to avoid the street......."

Does this sound like someone we know?
Iain

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tubes
Iain Churches

"Andre Jute" wrote in message
oups.com...

Iain Churches wrote:
Andre Jute at wrote on 12/15/05 11:16 PM:

Andras Schiff playing the Mozart piano concertos with the Camerata
Academica, Salzburg, the Decca set. Currently on disc 9, nos 26 and
27,
again. I just can't let such fine music disappear back into storage.

Andre is referring to the 13CD Decca set 443 747-2.
Wonderful performances - highly recommended.

Iain

Actually, Iain, now that I go looking for the 'missing' 4 CDs, I notice
my Schiff set is the 9CD Decca set 448 140-2 lacking concertos 1-3, 8,
10. I wos robbed! (Hey, Marie, I'll just remember you gave *my*
complete set to Iain...)

Mine came straight from The Old Firm, and is marked "Review Copy" :-)

Do you know the work of the Polish pianist Andre Tchaikowsky? He died
young but sometime in the early 1970s in a very busy festival where I
was up till the early hours every night as the host of the literary
side, I rose for his 10am (how effing uncivilized can the schedulers
get?) performance every day for a fortnight. A couple of years later I
paid Christopher Hogwood the same respect; a totally different
approach. Not many can get me out of bed before noon...

Andre Tchaikowsky? He of Goldberg Variations fame? Yes indeed!
He was an exceptional talent. In actual fact, I am told that Pjotr
Tchaikvosky had more Polish than Rusian blood, and it is, after all,
a Polish name.

Poland has a very rich musical culture. One of my favourite Polish
composers is Bartholomew Pekeil (b 1670) who was conductor at
Cracow Cathedral. He wrote a wonderful cantata "Audite Mortalis"
and a vocal-instrumental Mass "La Lombardesca". He also wrote
some forty folk dances. Some of his work may be heard on an
excellent CD on Olympia, "Pearls from Poland. 18th Century
Miniatures"

Christopher Hogwood too is one of my great favourites. He was
a Decca artist with whom I had the pleasure of working on many
occasions.

"My Ladye Neville's Booke" (William Byrd) which we recorded
at Finchcock's Manor, Goudhurst, Sussex, UK is well worth a listen
if you enjoy early English musicke.

So much music. So little time:-)

Iain

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Andre Jute

Sander deWaal wrote:

One can never hear enough Bach (J.S., that is) , for instance :-)

Three things explain the unknown: religion, mathematics and music. It
is no accident that Johann Sebastian was interested in all three.

The desert island conundrum is so hackneyed because it produces such
good answers. I would be tempted to ask for Mozart but he might be too
sweet, while you would never succeed in hearing everything and
understanding everything in Bach's music.

Andre Jute

PS Actually, for my luxury, I asked for a good overcoat. The island on
which they strand you might be a desert of ice... and, anyway, I was
born in a desert, the Little Karroo, and every morning the water was
frozen.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tubes
Andre Jute

Iain Churches wrote:
"Andre Jute" wrote in message
oups.com...

Iain Churches wrote:
Andre Jute at wrote on 12/15/05 11:16 PM:

Andras Schiff playing the Mozart piano concertos with the Camerata
Academica, Salzburg, the Decca set. Currently on disc 9, nos 26 and
27,
again. I just can't let such fine music disappear back into storage.

Andre is referring to the 13CD Decca set 443 747-2.
Wonderful performances - highly recommended.

Iain

Actually, Iain, now that I go looking for the 'missing' 4 CDs, I notice
my Schiff set is the 9CD Decca set 448 140-2 lacking concertos 1-3, 8,
10. I wos robbed! (Hey, Marie, I'll just remember you gave *my*
complete set to Iain...)

Mine came straight from The Old Firm, and is marked "Review Copy" :-)

Mine, from the same source either in London or their Dublin office, is
not so marked. (I cannot really remember the name of the PR lady, of
course; I called them all Marie except Celia at Hyperion and Victoria
at that French collection of brands, Harmonia Mundi, who once wailed
that she loved Melvyn Tan but she was a foot taller!) For fear of a
joke turning up later in the posts of the unholy as a "fact", I shall
refrain from the obvious remark about who they trust more not to resell
complimentary discs...

Do you know the work of the Polish pianist Andre Tchaikowsky? He died
young but sometime in the early 1970s in a very busy festival where I
was up till the early hours every night as the host of the literary
side, I rose for his 10am (how effing uncivilized can the schedulers
get?) performance every day for a fortnight. A couple of years later I
paid Christopher Hogwood the same respect; a totally different
approach. Not many can get me out of bed before noon...

....snip...

Poland has a very rich musical culture. One of my favourite Polish
composers is Bartholomew Pekeil (b 1670) who was conductor at
Cracow Cathedral. He wrote a wonderful cantata "Audite Mortalis"
and a vocal-instrumental Mass "La Lombardesca". He also wrote
some forty folk dances. Some of his work may be heard on an
excellent CD on Olympia, "Pearls from Poland. 18th Century
Miniatures"

I am under threat of the divorce courts if I accept one more disc or
one more book because the fabric of our Georgean town house creaks
under the weight of those I already have. But I will look out for
Pekeil who, you will not be surprised to hear, is totally new to me.
(Now someone will dig up a review from thirty years ago and call me a
liar. Isn't the internet wonderful?)

Christopher Hogwood too is one of my great favourites. He was
a Decca artist with whom I had the pleasure of working on many
occasions.

Never bet against coincidence. Last year when I wanted to speak to
Susannah York I found her at Christopher Hogwood's house...

I must say that for someone who isn't an artist himself (in the sense
of creating original work only, total ignorance of an unknown
netherlife of course apologised for in advance), you lead a privileged
life, working with people like Hogwood.

"My Ladye Neville's Booke" (William Byrd) which we recorded
at Finchcock's Manor, Goudhurst, Sussex, UK is well worth a listen
if you enjoy early English musicke.

I do. I listen mainly to various forms of chamber music and vocal
music; rarely the big orchestral things; instead every year I spin the
Liszt transcriptions of the Beethoven Symphonies from Leslie Howard's
big complete Liszt piano works.

I have an order in at Amazon for the other half of the new edition of
the OpenGL Reference (it's not for me, honest -- I read techie porn
only in the lavatory) due to be published in February. I'll see if they
will stick your Byrd recording on the same order to save the carriage.

So much music. So little time:-)

Don't temp me any further.

Iain

Andre Jute

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
124

Margaret von B. wrote:

Thank you, John Atkinson, for carrying the torch for us enlightened ones!

Mr. John Atkinson's credibility:

http://www.randi.org/jr/112604yes.html#4
http://www.high-endaudio.com/RR-STEREOPHILE.html#Lies

--124

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Edwin Hurwitz

In article ,
Lionel wrote:

In , Sander deWaal wrote :

Lionel said:

What about this one ?

Pink Floyd - Momentary lapse Of Reason (on LP)

You don't know that one? Very nice record IMHO.
Do you want me to burn it on CD for you?

Not this one !!!! Pat Metheny.

Thank you very much anyway.

it's great! Pat and Sco, but for me, it's really about the bass and
drums. As usual, Steve Swallow is mixed a little low, but his playing is
sublime. Every time I see Swallow, his sound is superb, but on record,
it's always a little low.

Just my 02c,
Edwin
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Lionel

Edwin Hurwitz a écrit :
In article ,
Lionel wrote:

In , Sander deWaal wrote :

Lionel said:

What about this one ?

Pink Floyd - Momentary lapse Of Reason (on LP)

You don't know that one? Very nice record IMHO.
Do you want me to burn it on CD for you?

Not this one !!!! Pat Metheny.

Thank you very much anyway.

it's great! Pat and Sco, but for me, it's really about the bass and
drums. As usual, Steve Swallow is mixed a little low, but his playing is
sublime. Every time I see Swallow, his sound is superb, but on record,
it's always a little low.

Thank you very much for your communicative enthusiasm.