Steve Grauman

Default How to break-in speakers?

How should I go about breaking in my new Dynaudio system? I want to do it
properly.
Adair Winter

"Steve Grauman" wrote in message
How should I go about breaking in my new Dynaudio system? I want to do it
properly.

Where do people get the idea you need to break in speakers? the only thing
I've ever worried about is when it's really cold and the cones may be harder
to move (stiff) and or amps are cold and going from cold to hot semi quick
would maybe cause problems in solder joints or lot of condensate. *shrug*

Adair

Mark Zarella

Put a ball in them and squeeze them under your mattress.

"Steve Grauman" wrote in message
How should I go about breaking in my new Dynaudio system? I want to do it
properly.

Tony Fernandes

Didn't you get literature with your speakers?? I hope you didn't buy from
eBay or something of the sort. This is from my Dynaudio "manual":

"This means that, unlike most speakers, the cones don't have to move much to
reproduce sounds; therefore, it takes quite a while for the speakers to
burn-in. Dynaudio speakers require at least 100 to 200 hours of burn-in in
order to perform at their true potential; you'll discover that it is
definitely worth the wait."

"System playback volume during the burn-in should be maintained near 80dB or
90dB, to help speed up the process. If the system is being burned-in while
the vehicle is parked, connect a quality battery charger or regulated power
supply to the battery so that it doesn't get drained."

I won't quote the rest, but Dynaudio claims a gain of 2-3 dB output from the
speaker's low frequency output.

Tony

--

What's more likely? That an all-powerful mysterious god created the
universe and then decided not to give any proof of his existence? Or, that

"Steve Grauman" wrote in message
How should I go about breaking in my new Dynaudio system? I want to do it
properly.

Eddie Runner

that is just thier way of saying

IF YOU DONT LIKE THE SOUND WHEN YOU FIRST
HOOK EM UP, HANG IN THERE BECAUSE YOU WILL
GROW ACCUSTOMED TO IT IN A FEW DAYS....

ha ha ha (its true)

Tony Fernandes wrote:

[...]

Mark Zarella

that is just thier way of saying

IF YOU DONT LIKE THE SOUND WHEN YOU FIRST
HOOK EM UP, HANG IN THERE BECAUSE YOU WILL
GROW ACCUSTOMED TO IT IN A FEW DAYS....

ha ha ha (its true)

lol

And I don't fault dyn one bit for it either! People too often get a new set
of speakers and immediately determine that they're no good, without
realizing that the problem isn't that they're bad - the problem is that it's
just different!

This is another reason why I always tell people to try out tuning
adjustments for a few days or more before readjusting.

Nousaine

"Tony Fernandes" wrote:

[...]

I've tested that idea with a Dynaudio. Because of the 150-hour break-in
required I asked for 2 samples one properly broken-in per their instructions
and one 'fresh.' They both worked and soinded exactly the same (or well within
the unit-to-unit manufacturing tolerances.) expected

The msin reason for the Break-In Urbam Legend is that when you drive a speaker
for a while and get the voice coil heated up and the suspension exercisedand
then measure parameters when the coil is still hot you'll find that the Fs
(resonance frequency) will have fallen by a few percent (say 4-5% or so) and
the compliance will have increased by a similar amount (increase in Vas.)

However,let them sit overnight when you re-measure them you'll find that they
will have returned to their pre-break in numbers. So, at best, it might be said
that soeakers warm-up BUT they do NOT break-in.

What's even more interesting is that it really doesn't matter. If you take
either set of parameters you'll come to the same sized enclosure. That's
because the lower resonant frequency is offset by the greater compliance.

I've done this experiment 3 different times with 12-inch woofers (one for my
own knowledge ---- 48 hours; 4 drivers confirmed to have come off the line one
after another; 2 drivers broken-in, 2 remaining 'fresh') and twice at
manufacturers "insistence" on break-in (24 and 150 hours) all with the same
results; other than some differences in the precise amount of change among
different models.
Steve Grauman

Didn't you get literature with your speakers?? I hope you didn't buy from
eBay or something of the sort. This is from my Dynaudio "manual":

I bought them at a dealer, they'll have all the literature, I just don't get
them till' Saturday.
Mark Zarella

I may have asked for your take on this, but I don't remember.

Matthew Honnert from Alumapro mentioned in here before that "break-in" could
have implications in terms of further curing of the solvents and epoxies.
Therefore, rather than resulting in a change in sound, it could essentially
change the power handling of the driver. I'm skeptical, but haven't checked
it out myself. What's your take? Here's the thread:

http://tinyurl.com/2rlnb

"Nousaine" wrote in message

[...]

Nousaine

"Mark Zarella" pam wrote:

I may have asked for your take on this, but I don't remember.

Matthew Honnert from Alumapro mentioned in here before that "break-in" could
have implications in terms of further curing of the solvents and epoxies.
Therefore, rather than resulting in a change in sound, it could essentially
change the power handling of the driver. I'm skeptical, but haven't checked
it out myself. What's your take? Here's the thread:

http://tinyurl.com/2rlnb

But you don't "break-in" a roof like he says. If the adhesive isn't cured
exercise doesn't fix anything :-) It seems to me that exercise during the
curing process could most often do bad stuff.

But no I hadn't heard this before. In my experiments there was no detectible
break-in and there wasn't any reliable difference in power handling during SPL
testing. I'll remain skeptical until some evidence is provided.

In follow-up for Break-In I had a transducer engineer at the old International
Jensen tell me that some spiders do have a break-in cycle which occurs the
first time it's excercised usually during QC at the end of the line.
Z Gluhak

"Tony Fernandes" wrote in message ...
Didn't you get literature with your speakers?? I hope you didn't buy from
eBay or something of the sort. This is from my Dynaudio "manual":

What's wrong with buying them from Ebay. I bought mine there and they
are as awesome as yours. And I didn't pay 50% markup like you did. I
don't get the same warranty, but I don;t like paying for warranty
anyway. I just don't abuse the speakers.
Tony Fernandes

Z Gluhak wrote: "What's wrong with buying them from Ebay."

Well I guess nothing's wrong with buying them from eBay unless they're
1) Not stolen
2) Not reconditioned
3) Not defective

"I bought mine there and they are as awesome as yours."

How do you know?

"And I didn't pay 50% markup like you did."

I purchased mine from The Autophile. Although I could have gotten them
slightly cheaper on eBay, I think I did pretty good.

"I don't get the same warranty, but I don;t like paying for warranty anyway.
I just don't abuse the speakers."

I don't abuse them either. Oddly enough, my 8-inch midwoofer arrived with a
defective voice coil. After speaking with a Dynaudio technician, I mailed
the defective speaker to them and they shipped me a replacement via
overnight Fed Ex. You may or may not have had the same experience.

Just my preference. The only electronics I buy from eBay are used. I've
had EXCELLENT luck doing this. I've had very POOR lucking buying new
electronics there. I like having a warranty & like knowing my money is
going towards a reputable business. There is obviously no warranty for used
equipment, but that's a given.

Tony

What's more likely? That an all-powerful mysterious god created the
universe and then decided not to give any proof of his existence? Or, that
he simply doesn't exist at all? And that we created him so that we wouldn't
have to feel so small and alone. -Eleanor Arroway, Contact

Z Gluhak

"Tony Fernandes" wrote in message ...
Z Gluhak wrote: "What's wrong with buying them from Ebay."

Well I guess nothing's wrong with buying them from eBay unless they're
1) Not stolen
2) Not reconditioned
3) Not defective

1) It's the used stuff you like so much that's stolen. Harder to
steal new unless you rob a store or factory.
2) Reconditioned usually says so on the box just to prevent resale.
And even if not it's usually as good as new. It's re-tested in the
factory to factory spec so what is the big diff?
3) Mine weren't defective; your's were.

"I bought mine there and they are as awesome as yours."

How do you know?

My ears say that my speakers sound the same as the Dyns I heard at the
store and they cost $400 less.

"And I didn't pay 50% markup like you did."

I purchased mine from The Autophile. Although I could have gotten them
slightly cheaper on eBay, I think I did pretty good.

Right. Compared to another retail place you did. I though I did good
on a set of RCAs I paid $30 for because the store down the street
wanted $35. So then I looked on Ebay and bought the same pair for
$18. I was costing out Focals as they were another pricey brand
available (not that I like them) and the Utopias are $899 at the store
and $525 on E-bay.

Think about it. Places that sell high end audio sell like one set of
speakers a day. They have to make $400 on a set vs those that make
$40 on 10 sets of cheaper speakers.

You ever wonder how come their places look so nice? You pay for that
man! Not that there is anything wrong with that, I am just cheap!

I wouldn't mind paying a 20% markup but 50% is nuts if you ask me.

"I don't get the same warranty, but I don;t like paying for warranty anyway.
I just don't abuse the speakers."

I don't abuse them either. Oddly enough, my 8-inch midwoofer arrived with a
defective voice coil. After speaking with a Dynaudio technician, I mailed
the defective speaker to them and they shipped me a replacement via
overnight Fed Ex. You may or may not have had the same experience.

Probably not, but I would have gladly paid for an out of warranty
repair and still would have saved $$$$$. And you're right I took a
chance and you didn't.

Just my preference. The only electronics I buy from eBay are used. I've
had EXCELLENT luck doing this.

That's the stuff that's stolen man!

I've had very POOR lucking buying new
electronics there. I like having a warranty & like knowing my money is
going towards a reputable business.

Nothing wrong w/ that I totally understand there are lots of risks w/
ebay. It's not easy to shell out $$$ and "hope for the best". Esp. on
hundreds of $$$. But you can't go through life and not take chances!
Why do you think best buy and those places always try to sell you
warranty? Because they make out!! Statistically speaking if you can
live "without the peace of mind" you ALWAYS win w/out warranty.

Also there are MANY reputable dealers on ebay - more than where I
live. All the damn car audio stores I live near are crooks. If I go
to the store that sells Dyns today in a year they will be selling
Focals because Dyns sucked and "they had too many problems w/ them".
Same story everywhere. They lose or change what they carry and then
those brands "suck". Screw those places. I won't give them a cent. A
lot of dealers on Ebay are reputable and sell at discounts because
they buy volume, sell volume and don't need a storefront. Simple
economics dude.

There is obviously no warranty for used
equipment, but that's a given.

So why buy it then? If you like to have warranty I mean?
Tony Fernandes

1) It's the used stuff you like so much that's stolen. Harder to
steal new unless you rob a store or factory.

I highly doubt I have ever bought stolen merchandise off of eBay. I'm very
careful as to what I buy.

2) Reconditioned usually says so on the box just to prevent resale.
And even if not it's usually as good as new. It's re-tested in the
factory to factory spec so what is the big diff?

If I buy new, I want it to be NEW. And the reconditioned label can be
easily removed.

3) Mine weren't defective; your's were.

Yes. Exactly. If I had bought on eBay, Dynaudio would not have even spoken
to me. I would have had to have depended on the eBay seller to provide the
warranty. I have not had good luck with this is the past.

"I bought mine there and they are as awesome as yours."

How do you know?

My ears say that my speakers sound the same as the Dyns I heard at the
store and they cost $400 less.

Good. I'm glad your purchasing experience was a good one.

"And I didn't pay 50% markup like you did."

I purchased mine from The Autophile. Although I could have gotten them
slightly cheaper on eBay, I think I did pretty good.

Right. Compared to another retail place you did. I though I did good
on a set of RCAs I paid $30 for because the store down the street
wanted $35. So then I looked on Ebay and bought the same pair for
$18. I was costing out Focals as they were another pricey brand
available (not that I like them) and the Utopias are $899 at the store
and $525 on E-bay.

Well, it's evidently not worth the peace of mind for you to buy from an
authorized dealer. It is for me.

Think about it. Places that sell high end audio sell like one set of
speakers a day. They have to make $400 on a set vs those that make
$40 on 10 sets of cheaper speakers.

I realize this.

You ever wonder how come their places look so nice? You pay for that
man! Not that there is anything wrong with that, I am just cheap!

I like to save money, too!

I wouldn't mind paying a 20% markup but 50% is nuts if you ask me.

Yep. I still shop around.

"I don't get the same warranty, but I don;t like paying for warranty

anyway.
I just don't abuse the speakers."

I don't abuse them either. Oddly enough, my 8-inch midwoofer arrived

with a
defective voice coil. After speaking with a Dynaudio technician, I

mailed
the defective speaker to them and they shipped me a replacement via
overnight Fed Ex. You may or may not have had the same experience.

Probably not, but I would have gladly paid for an out of warranty
repair and still would have saved $$$$$. And you're right I took a
chance and you didn't.

I'm paranoid!!

Just my preference. The only electronics I buy from eBay are used.

I've
had EXCELLENT luck doing this.

That's the stuff that's stolen man!

I see your point, but disagree that I've ever purchased stolen merchandise.
I look for sellers that take good care of their items, and have receipts
and/or boxes, etc. I guess I'm one of those sellers. I've sold many used
car audio items on eBay.

I've had very POOR lucking buying new
electronics there. I like having a warranty & like knowing my money is
going towards a reputable business.

Nothing wrong w/ that I totally understand there are lots of risks w/
ebay. It's not easy to shell out $$$ and "hope for the best". Esp. on
hundreds of $$$. But you can't go through life and not take chances!
Why do you think best buy and those places always try to sell you
warranty? Because they make out!! Statistically speaking if you can
live "without the peace of mind" you ALWAYS win w/out warranty.

I've taken chances before & gotten burned. That's why I don't buy new on
eBay.

Also there are MANY reputable dealers on ebay - more than where I
live. All the damn car audio stores I live near are crooks. If I go
to the store that sells Dyns today in a year they will be selling
Focals because Dyns sucked and "they had too many problems w/ them".
Same story everywhere. They lose or change what they carry and then
those brands "suck". Screw those places. I won't give them a cent. A
lot of dealers on Ebay are reputable and sell at discounts because
they buy volume, sell volume and don't need a storefront. Simple
economics dude.

I can't think of ONE eBay dealer that is authorized to sell their car audio
equipment on the Internet. At least any brand that I'm interested in. I'm
sure these companies look the other way, though...

There is obviously no warranty for used
equipment, but that's a given.

So why buy it then? If you like to have warranty I mean?

I just have good luck buying used. I'm careful.

Tony

What's more likely? That an all-powerful mysterious god created the
universe and then decided not to give any proof of his existence? Or, that
he simply doesn't exist at all? And that we created him so that we wouldn't
have to feel so small and alone. -Eleanor Arroway, Contact

Mark Zarella

Yes. Exactly. If I had bought on eBay, Dynaudio would not have even
spoken
to me. I would have had to have depended on the eBay seller to provide

the
warranty. I have not had good luck with this is the past.

You'd be surprised how many manufacturers still give you a break even if you
buy used. IMO, that's one thing that sets apart a good manufacturer from a
bad one.

Steve Grauman

You'd be surprised how many manufacturers still give you a break even if you
buy used. IMO, that's one thing that sets apart a good manufacturer from a
bad one.

I think it depends on the company. Pioneer can easily afford to offer warranty
service even on items that shouldn't technically be covered under warranty. A
smaller company like Zapco or Dynaudio that doesn't do business in the billions
of dollars every year probably can't afford to "float" warranty claims aganist
items that were purchased used. I could've gotten a brand new Dynaudio System
MKII from a wholesaler on EBay of $469.00. I ended up paying a local dealer
$750.00 for them instead because I wanted the piece of mind and the warranty
coverage. If you consider that MSRP on these spakers is over $1,100 I still got
a damn good deal.
Mark Zarella

You'd be surprised how many manufacturers still give you a break even if
you
buy used. IMO, that's one thing that sets apart a good manufacturer from

bad one.

I think it depends on the company. Pioneer can easily afford to offer

warranty
service even on items that shouldn't technically be covered under

warranty. A
smaller company like Zapco or Dynaudio that doesn't do business in the

billions
of dollars every year probably can't afford to "float" warranty claims

aganist
items that were purchased used.

I've had companies smaller than Zapco and Dynaudio either replace my item
for free or give me a substantial discount on a replacement.