Mark T. Wieczorek

Default Cool Edit Pro is dead, long live Adobe Audition

Abyssmal wrote in
:

I agree, Audition seems a little too Hollywood.

Maybe if a person tries to write bad music, a pop up of
Simon Cowell From American Idol will appear and say
That is absoultely dreadful.

My only fear is that CEP - the light-weight, accurate DAW will go the way
of ProTools - bloated and so big it practically requires a dedicated
computer.

Regards,
Mark

--
http://www.marktaw.com/

http://www.prosoundreview.com/
User reviews of pro audio gear
Richard Crowley

"Mark T. Wieczorek" wrote ...
My only fear is that CEP - the light-weight, accurate DAW will go the way
of ProTools - bloated and so big it practically requires a dedicated
computer.

So far, Premiere (the video NLE) has not become so bloated it
requires dedicated resources. However Adobe has just split the
line into a "Pro" and "regular"(?) version, so who knows what's
ahead.

Abyssmal

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 21:52:28 -0700, "Richard Crowley"
wrote:

"Mark T. Wieczorek" wrote ...
My only fear is that CEP - the light-weight, accurate DAW will go the way
of ProTools - bloated and so big it practically requires a dedicated
computer.

So far, Premiere (the video NLE) has not become so bloated it
requires dedicated resources. However Adobe has just split the
line into a "Pro" and "regular"(?) version, so who knows what's
ahead.

Maybe they will incorporate cool edit pro into their Video editing
apps like Premiere, which will be vastly superior to the audio tools
Premiere has now.

I wish the 3d programs i use like Maya, 3ds max would incorporate an
audio program like cool edit into their interfaces.

Doing lip sync is easier when you import an audio file to build your
animations around, but the 3d audio tools are worse than Premieres
in the top programs for animation.Maya only lets you play 1 audio file
at a time, which sucks if you are trying to animate a conversation
between 2 objects.

I guess audio to them are secondary considerations, maybe Adobe will
use it wisely.

Randall

Arny Krueger

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message

In article writes:

According to

http://www.adobe.com/store/products/...id=catAudition
, Adobe Audition is $299, $50 more than CEP 2.x.

I figured something like that would happen. But I suspect that you'll
be able to buy Adobe Audition at places like Office Depot and CompUSA,
where you couldn't buy Cool Edit Pro, and they'll sell in sufficient
volume so that the street price will be comparable to, or less than
what Cool Edit Pro is currently selling for.

Of course you're rigfht - $249 was effectively the street price of CEP, $299
is the MSRP of Audition.

So what's the catch? Probably tech support better suited for graphics
users than audio users.

It might not be a catch at all. We're headed towards a world that is more
A/V, and better support for working with A/V media would be a good future
direction.

LeBaron & Alrich

Richard Crowley wrote:

"Mark T. Wieczorek" wrote ...
My only fear is that CEP - the light-weight, accurate DAW will go the way
of ProTools - bloated and so big it practically requires a dedicated
computer.

So far, Premiere (the video NLE) has not become so bloated it
requires dedicated resources. However Adobe has just split the
line into a "Pro" and "regular"(?) version, so who knows what's
ahead.

"Cool Edit Regular" g

--
ha
Laurence Payne

Maybe they will incorporate cool edit pro into their Video editing
apps like Premiere, which will be vastly superior to the audio tools
Premiere has now.

Yes. Vegas 4 seems to be the application of choice for video/audio
now.
EggHd

Maybe now it will be released for Mac.

I read that Adobe is not programming for Mac anymore.

---------------------------------------

Neil Gould

Hi,

"EggHd" wrote:
Maybe now it will be released for Mac.

I read that Adobe is not programming for Mac anymore.

Wherever you read that is an extremely questionable source.

Neil

EggHd

I read something maybe just premire audio stuff? I'll see if I can find it.

---------------------------------------
Steve King

"Mark T. Wieczorek" wrote in message
"Neil Gould" wrote in
:

I read that Adobe is not programming for Mac anymore.

Wherever you read that is an extremely questionable source.

Yeah, considering that many many many more mac's are used for computers
than PC's (percentage wise), it would be suicide for Adobe to abandon the
platform, if only for the cache & legitimacy having your products on Mac
gives you.

Can you imagine a graphic design house without some guys on Mac's with
Photoshop?

With the caveat that I don't care what computer people use and that there is
no "best" in either audio or computers.... Yes, I can not only imagine what
you suggest, but I specifically know of two graphic design shops that have
in the past year switched to PCs and one former Avid editor that has geared
up with a PC based editing system.

You didn't really mean, "Yeah, considering that many many many more mac's
are used for computers than PC's (percentage wise)...", did you?

Steve King

Neil Gould

Hi,

"sgordon" wrote:
Arny Krueger wrote:
: "INTRODUCING ADOBE AUDITION!

So what is going to happen to CE2k?

Good question. At least one document on Adobe's site states that it will
no longer be available. (see: the Audition FAQ PDF).

Neil

Geoff Wood

"EggHd" wrote in message
Maybe now it will be released for Mac.

I read that Adobe is not programming for Mac anymore.

Maybe they'll discover 'contextual right-click menus" then. Playing around
with PS 6 and PM 6.5 has to be the most mind-boggling unintuitive computer
experience I've ever had...

geoff

Les Cargill

Mike Rivers wrote:

Speaking of corporate brand name changes, all the Texaco gas stations
around here are changing (overnight, which is pretty amazing) to
Shell. I know that the two companies have shared billing and probably
other business interests for a while, but I didn't think it would come
to this.

Is it a regional thing with some parts of the country having Shell
gasoline and other parts having Texaco?

--
I'm really Mike Rivers - )

Nope. They're all Shell now.

--
Les Cargill
Stephen Raiman

The FAQ says they'll be shutting down loopology.com
That's a real shame. It was a great way to get quick, free loops for
radio production.

Is there a similar website out there (easy to browse, free loops)?

CEP has a huge following among radio production folks. I wonder what
this change could mean for that market.
Kurt Albershardt

Can anybody say, "better audio tools for Premiere?"

Apple showed a bunch of new audio stuff for FCP at NAB and the timing of
this announcement works out just about right.

Kurt Albershardt

In article writes:

According to

http://www.adobe.com/store/products/...id=catAudition

, Adobe Audition is $299, $50 more than CEP 2.x.

I figured something like that would happen. But I suspect that you'll
be able to buy Adobe Audition at places like Office Depot and CompUSA,
where you couldn't buy Cool Edit Pro, and they'll sell in sufficient
volume so that the street price will be comparable to, or less than
what Cool Edit Pro is currently selling for.

Of course you're rigfht - $249 was effectively the street price of CEP, $299
is the MSRP of Audition.

The press release says:

Pricing and Availability
Adobe Audition for Windows 98, 2000 and XP is expected to ship in the
U.S. and Canada by the end of August 2003. Adobe Audition will be
available for an estimated street price of US$299. The product will be
available through Adobe's licensing and education programs. Registered
users of previous versions of Cool Edit Pro can upgrade to Adobe
Audition for an estimated street price of US$99. Since Adobe Audition is
functionally equivalent to Cool Edit Pro 2.1, Adobe plans to offer a
free upgrade from Cool Edit Pro 2.x to Adobe Audition.

Ray Abbitt

In article ,
Geoff Wood -nospam wrote:

"EggHd" wrote in message
Maybe now it will be released for Mac.

I read that Adobe is not programming for Mac anymore.

Maybe they'll discover 'contextual right-click menus" then. Playing around
with PS 6 and PM 6.5 has to be the most mind-boggling unintuitive computer
experience I've ever had...

If by PM you mean Pagemaker, Pagemaker had contextual right-click menus
on the pc platform way back when it shipped with a runtime version of
Windows 286. I edited a couple of newsletters using the pc version of
Pagemaker back then, but had to take them to a Mac user to print the
camera ready copy because I didn't have a PostScript printer. It was
****ing painful to use Pagemaker on a Mac because of the lack of right-
click menus (but since there was only one button on a Mac mouse at that
time, it would have been a bit hard to right click anyway)

-ray

Mark T. Wieczorek

"Jon Best" wrote in news:eCKPa.3187$AD3.1452@lakeread04:

So what is everyone using their PC's for? Boatanchors?

Obviously, why do you use your PC for?

I meant "media."

Regards,
Mark

--
http://www.marktaw.com/

http://www.prosoundreview.com/
User reviews of pro audio gear
David Satz

whereupon Neil Gould wrote:

Wherever you read that is an extremely questionable source.

On July 7, Adobe announced that the next version of Premiere will run
only on Windows XP and that there will not be a Mac version. They also
annouced "Audition" at that time, which they said would be for Windows
XP only.

This was reported by the Associated Press, and I also read about it in
the business section of the New York Times. I'm pretty sure it's real.
Of course that's not to say that Adobe "is not programming for Mac any
more" as a general statement. Still, Premiere going Windows-only is a
very big deal.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...07/tc_nf/21857

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp.../adobe_apple_3
Ray Abbitt

In article ,
Les Cargill wrote:
Mike Rivers wrote:

Speaking of corporate brand name changes, all the Texaco gas stations
around here are changing (overnight, which is pretty amazing) to
Shell. I know that the two companies have shared billing and probably
other business interests for a while, but I didn't think it would come
to this.

Is it a regional thing with some parts of the country having Shell
gasoline and other parts having Texaco?

Nope. They're all Shell now.

Not exactly true. The only ones that are Shell are the ones that
ChevronTexaco sold to Shell. There is no Texaco anymore. Chevron
and Texaco merged (read Chevron borged Texaco). (And in case you
wonder, my day job email ends in @chevrontexaco.com although I am
actually a Verizon employee--I was a Chevron employee until they
sold us as slaves [outsourced us] to GTE which became Verizon when
GTE/BellAtlantic "merged")

-ray
David Satz

Thomas Bishop wrote:

Maybe now it will be released for Mac.

Adobe announced that "Audition" would be released for Windows XP only,
as will be the next version of Adobe Premiere. I read this in the N.Y.
Times business section this past week, and confirmed it just now by
searching on news.yahoo.com for "Adobe" under the business heading.

Two specific links to AP news reports are included in a message of mine
which I just posted at another point in this same thread.
Bob Olhsson

In article znr1057953693k@trad, Mike Rivers
wrote:

Is it a regional thing with some parts of the country having Shell
gasoline and other parts having Texaco?

Shell purchased Texaco's retail gasoline business several years ago as
part of an antitrust agreement when Texaco merged with Chevron. Here in
Nashville the largest owner of Amoco stations recently switched to
Shell after BP acquired Amoco and most of the Texaco stations have also
turned yellow. Meanwhile Chevron stations are beginning to appear.

--
Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery Recording Project Design and Consulting
Box 90412, Nashville TN 37209 Tracking, Mixing, Mastering, Audio for Picture

T. Tauri

Ray Abbitt wrote:

In article ,
Geoff Wood -nospam wrote:

Maybe they'll discover 'contextual right-click menus" then. Playing
around with PS 6 and PM 6.5 has to be the most mind-boggling
unintuitive computer experience I've ever had...

If by PM you mean Pagemaker, Pagemaker had contextual right-click
menus on the pc platform way back when it shipped with a runtime
version of Windows 286. I edited a couple of newsletters using the pc
version of Pagemaker back then, but had to take them to a Mac user to
print the camera ready copy because I didn't have a PostScript
printer. It was ****ing painful to use Pagemaker on a Mac because of
the lack of right-click menus (but since there was only one button on
a Mac mouse at that time, it would have been a bit hard to right click
anyway)

Currently, Macs do support contextual right-click menus, even if they
don't supply a two-button mouse (crtl-click to access with a
one-button). Been supported for some time, I believe.

And they're in Photoshop, and presumably Pagemaker as well (hard to
believe otherwise).

Peece,
T. Tauri

Richard Crowley

whereupon Neil Gould wrote:
Wherever you read that is an extremely questionable source.

"David Satz" wrote ...
On July 7, Adobe announced that the next version of Premiere will run
only on Windows XP and that there will not be a Mac version. They also
annouced "Audition" at that time, which they said would be for Windows
XP only.

This was reported by the Associated Press, and I also read about it in
the business section of the New York Times. I'm pretty sure it's real.
Of course that's not to say that Adobe "is not programming for Mac any
more" as a general statement. Still, Premiere going Windows-only is a
very big deal.

OTOH, to be fair, some are speculating that Adobe is waiting
to announce Apple versions for some big Mac show in the near
future (I've never touched a Mac so I don't know what show it is?)

David Morgan \(MAMS\)

"Ray Abbitt" wrote in message ...
In article ,
Les Cargill wrote:
Mike Rivers wrote:

[...]

My card statement directs me to make the check payable to Texaco/Shell,
and the credit card was reissued with the Shell logo. There were as many
Texaco retailers that simply closed around here as those that made the
change to Shell. There are plenty of Texaco stations remaining, but it
seems like a whole lot more of Shell now.

I heard BP took over a whole bunch of Texaco retailers in the northeast.

DM

Neil Gould

Hi,

whereupon Neil Gould wrote:

Wherever you read that is an extremely questionable source.

On July 7, Adobe announced that the next version of Premiere will run
only on Windows XP and that there will not be a Mac version. They also
annouced "Audition" at that time, which they said would be for Windows
XP only.

This was reported by the Associated Press, and I also read about it in
the business section of the New York Times. I'm pretty sure it's real.
(snip)
Of course that's not to say that Adobe "is not programming for Mac any
more" as a general statement.

Considering the breadth of Adobe applications, it would be polite to call
this an understatement.

Still, Premiere going Windows-only is a very big deal.

This is understandable, but a different matter altogether. I'd say it's a
no-brainer. I don't know why *any* independent developer would continue to
provide media production applications for the Mac, given that Apple has
decided to be their direct competition on every level. I'm pretty sure
Adobe would make the same decision with their graphics apps if Apple
decided to compete with them.

Neil

Neil Gould

Hi David,

"David Satz" wrote:
Adobe announced that "Audition" would be released for Windows XP only,
as will be the next version of Adobe Premiere. I read this in the N.Y.
Times business section this past week, and confirmed it just now by
searching on news.yahoo.com for "Adobe" under the business heading.

A slight nit-pick, here. According to the Adobe site, here are the OS
requirements for Audition:

" Microsoft® Windows® 98 Second Edition, Windows Millennium Edition,
Windows 2000, or Windows XP Professional or Home Edition "

Premiere requires XP home or pro, though.

Neil

Thomas Bishop

"David Satz" wrote in message
Adobe announced that "Audition" would be released for Windows XP only,

That's too bad because I really want to try using a Mac but I like CEP too
much to switch.

David Satz

Neil Gould wrote:

A slight nit-pick, here. According to the Adobe site, here are the OS
requirements for Audition:

" Microsoft® Windows® 98 Second Edition, Windows Millennium Edition,
Windows 2000, or Windows XP Professional or Home Edition "

Not slight at all for those who have the other systems mentioned; thanks
for pointing this out.
Analogeezer

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message ...
This showed up in my inbox:

"INTRODUCING ADOBE AUDITION!

"Syntrillium Software and Adobe Systems Incorporated are delighted to
announce the introduction of Adobe® Audition(TM) software, the essential
tool for professional digital audio! Adobe Audition is a re-branded release
of Cool Edit Pro, which we expect to begin shipping in late August 2003

"Own Cool Edit Pro 2.x? You're eligible for a complimentary update
to Adobe Audition when it becomes available in late August! Visit
http://www.adobe.com/audition to find out when the product is
available.

According to http://www.adobe.com/store/products/...id=catAudition
, Adobe Audition is $299, $50 more than CEP 2.x.

Not that Cool Edit Pro was all that great of a name (at least it
reflected the shareware origins of Cool Edit....I still have a copy on
my old 386) but Adobe Audition is a stupid name.

What happens if you buy the software but it doesn't pass your
"Audition". Can you return it for a refund?

Probably the business plan is to sell the software for a lot of money,
but make a read only version that you can download for free g

Analogeezer
Chris Smalt

"Adobe Audition" (can't say I like the moniker).

It's as least a good as Cool Edit Pro.

Any name without "Pro" wins in my book.

Chris

EggHd

Any name without "Pro" wins in my book.

Wouldn't you love to have been in the meeting where they were tossing around
names?

---------------------------------------
LeBaron & Alrich

Jon Best wrote:

So what is everyone using their PC's for? Boatanchors?

--
Jon Best
Muddy Creek Audio

Doesn't that cause grounding issues, or does the mud provide insulation?

And who is "everyone"? g

"Mark T. Wieczorek"

Yeah, considering that many many many more mac's are used for computers
than PC's (percentage wise)

--
ha
LeBaron & Alrich

Chris wrote:

Hank wrote:

"Cool Edit Regular" g

What's it mean when they say: "He's a regular pro" ?

Fiber.

--
ha
EggHd

What's it mean when they say: "He's a regular pro" ?

Fiber.

LOL!

Kurt Albershardt

Hank Alrich wrote:

Jon Best wrote:

So what is everyone using their PC's for? Boatanchors?

Doesn't that cause grounding issues, or does the mud provide insulation?

That's why you're supposed to have a CDR drive with the zinc chassis...