Posted to rec.audio.opinion
GoodFella GoodFella is offline

Default Question about noise canceling headphones...

Hi there, what is the working principle behind noise canceling headphones?
Do they all use the same mechanisms? Which ones would you recommend as best
in terms of actually canceling them outside noises, as opposed to audio
quality?

The problem I have is that I am once again going to embark upon a series
of business trips, to the US, Malaysia, Japan, etc. Lo-ong flying hours...
I need to shut down that airplane noise. OTOH, there is a big new
construction right next to our office that will last some months, if not
years, damn it... Lots of hard-pressed diesel engine grunts creeping into
my office... So it's the other criteria that I am after that the device is
able to counter such noises also.

Any help would be much appreciated.

--
Message posted using http://www.talkaboutaudio.com/group/rec.audio.opinion/
More information at http://www.talkaboutaudio.com/faq.html

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"GoodFella" wrote in message
lkaboutaudio.com

Hi there, what is the working principle behind noise
canceling headphones?

A microphone picks up ambient noise near the headphones, inverts it and
mixes it with the normal input signal.

Since the noise is inverted, it cancels with noise that leaks into the
headphone through the air.

Do they all use the same mechanisms?

Same basic idea, differences in how they refine the idea.

Which ones would you recommend as best in
terms of actually canceling them outside noises, as
opposed to audio quality?

None of them. I favor using in-ear monitors (IEM), that block out outside
noises.

The problem I have is that I am once again going to
embark upon a series of business trips, to the US,
Malaysia, Japan, etc. Lo-ong flying hours... I need to
shut down that airplane noise. OTOH, there is a big new
construction right next to our office that will last
some months, if not years, damn it... Lots of
hard-pressed diesel engine grunts creeping into my
office... So it's the other criteria that I am after that
the device is able to counter such noises also.

IEMs are cheap and effective. The better low cost models like the Sony
MDR-EX71 (under $20) at worst will give you a good idea of how they work and
whether you can tolerate them.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
GoodFella GoodFella is offline

Thanks for the article Stephen. Thanks also to Arny for his
ear-plug/headphone recommendation. I want to cancel out humming, etc, but
not my hearing altogether, which is to say I want to be able to go on
hearing talk, telephone ringing and such sounds, alarms, etc, going on
around me. In case that metal tube is going down, I wanna hear it... It's
the constant humming that bugs me. Recently hopped over to Malaysia and
back, and suffered from this almost tinnitus-like hum for at least a day
after the 12-13 hour flights, back and forth... Which is not nice. God I
hate flying.

Peace.

--
Message posted using http://www.talkaboutaudio.com/group/rec.audio.opinion/
More information at http://www.talkaboutaudio.com/faq.html

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"ScottW" wrote in message

On May 28, 5:05 am, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:
"GoodFella" wrote in message

lkaboutaudio.com

Hi there, what is the working principle behind noise
canceling headphones?

A microphone picks up ambient noise near the headphones,
inverts it and mixes it with the normal input signal.

Since the noise is inverted, it cancels with noise that
leaks into the headphone through the air.

Do they all use the same mechanisms?

Same basic idea, differences in how they refine the idea.

Which ones would you recommend as best in
terms of actually canceling them outside noises, as
opposed to audio quality?

None of them. I favor using in-ear monitors (IEM), that
block out outside noises.

No ear plug blocks the low freq rumble of aircraft
engines.

Wrong.

Noise cancellation does a better job. Airplanes
are the only place I'd consider them.

I've had great success listening to music in airplanes with IEMs.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick Clyde Slick is offline

On 28 Mai, 12:38, ScottW wrote:
On May 28, 5:05*am, "Arny Krueger" wrote:

"GoodFella" wrote in message

alkaboutaudio.com

Hi there, what is the working principle behind noise
canceling headphones?

A microphone picks up ambient noise near the headphones, inverts it and
mixes it with the normal input signal.

Since the noise is inverted, it cancels with noise that leaks into the
headphone through the air.

*Do they all use the same mechanisms?

Same basic idea, differences in how they refine the idea.

Which ones would you recommend as best in
terms of actually canceling them outside noises, as
opposed to audio quality?

None of them. I favor using in-ear monitors (IEM), that block out outside
noises.

*No ear plug blocks the low freq *rumble of aircraft engines.
Noise cancellation does a better job. *Airplanes are the only
place I'd consider them.

ScottW-

If your flight is a rear engine MD80,88 or 90, sit up front

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On 28 Mai, 23:18, "Soundhaspriority" wrote:
"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

On 28 Mai, 12:38, ScottW wrote:

On May 28, 5:05 am, "Arny Krueger" wrote:

"GoodFella" wrote in message

alkaboutaudio.com

[...]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------*--------------------------
Not recommended. A back seat increases life expectancy by 0.245 seconds.

Not if this happens!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYAVLfuUjPA

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
GoodFella GoodFella is offline

Thanks Bob... I have to say that I can even be considered an old-timer
here, previously known as "Fella". I just became "good" since this site
did not accept my registration as Fella only...

Fella? What Fella? You don't even remember now, do you? Hmmm....

--
Message posted using http://www.talkaboutaudio.com/group/rec.audio.opinion/
More information at http://www.talkaboutaudio.com/faq.html

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
GoodFella GoodFella is offline

My main concern is actually canceling out the noise, and not much music
listening. I like the free flow of music from floor standers, creating a
3d soundstage, etc, I think such is not possible to have if music injected
directly into your ear as is with headphones.

My crazy idea was that I buy a competent pair of noise cancelers (OK
perhaps listen to Nelly Furtado or somesuch stuff on occasion, for some
5-10 minutes, light stuff in an airplane) and have them on always,
diminishing the background noise of flying as much as feasible.

IEM's in this case are not necessary as I already use ear plugs, etc, but
only on take offs and landings since having something stuck in my ears is
as not-nice as that qhouqhqoqhqhhouqoquoqhqooouu airplane noise.

Being such a personal thing, hygiene, etc, does anyone know if it is even
possible to audition IEM's?

--
Message posted using http://www.talkaboutaudio.com/group/rec.audio.opinion/
More information at http://www.talkaboutaudio.com/faq.html

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
GoodFella GoodFella is offline

"GoodFella" wrote in message
lkaboutaudio.com...

Thanks Bob... I have to say that I can even be considered an

old-timer
here, previously known as "Fella". I just became "good" since this site
did not accept my registration as Fella only...

Fella? What Fella? You don't even remember now, do you? Hmmm....

Fella! How could I forget? That sharp pointed polyhedron! That flowerbox

screensaver! You goodpella!

----------------------------------

Well you did, kinda subtly, show curiosity didn't you? I just don't like
the usenet creeper and crapper that changes identity constantly, comes
back as if all is anew, to get another chance, then another one, etc, but
turns out the same each and every time. So I thought I'd make myself known
from the git go, why not? I remember where you got your current knick
from... Those were the days... Whatever happened to that guy?

I see things have changed around here, though not much, just the names you
guys use when name calling each other. I must say, though I like the
character, agree with him in his general directions, and I don't agree
with the connotation, I still can't help but admire the humor in "****R",
for instance... But why does he call Arny "GOIA"? It was better when it
was "Arns".

Then there is George and his "Scooter"s "Witlessmongrel"s and "Mr.****"s..
They've remained the same.

I for one will never forget the colorful chars here. George, you, the
other priority guy, Arny, etc.

Ah well shucks. Enjoy the screenwhatever!

--
Message posted using http://www.talkaboutaudio.com/group/rec.audio.opinion/
More information at http://www.talkaboutaudio.com/faq.html

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"GoodFella" wrote in message
lkaboutaudio.com

My main concern is actually canceling out the noise, and
not much music listening.

With the right IEMs, you get to enjoy both.

I like the free flow of music
from floor standers, creating a 3d soundstage, etc, I
think such is not possible to have if music injected
directly into your ear as is with headphones.

I know of no soundstage, as deep, as stable, and as detailed as the one I
obtain with headphones or IEMs.

My crazy idea was that I buy a competent pair of noise
cancelers (OK perhaps listen to Nelly Furtado or some
stuff on occasion, for some 5-10 minutes, light stuff in
an airplane) and have them on always, diminishing the
background noise of flying as much as feasible.

Stop off at a pharmacy or a home improvement store and buy some ear plugs.

Being such a personal thing, hygiene, etc, does anyone
know if it is even possible to audition Item's?

Generally, no. That's why I suggested some inexpensive ones to try to see if
you can live with them.

However, it seems that you may be a bit phobic about them. I don't think you
will ever enjoy them if you fear them.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Bill[_16_] Bill[_16_] is offline

In article 133377bcf3b03e1bd79cbf7450c2b5b9
@localhost.talkaboutaudio.com, says...
But why does he call Arny "GOIA"? It was better when it was "Arns".

"Arns" is still part of it - GOIA = Good Old Insane Arns.

--
Bill