Tommi

Default REVERB for DRUMS ?

"MAS017" wrote in message
I know a Plate reverb of 1.0-1.5 seconds with high diffusion is considered

good
for typical Rock drums, but I am looking for guidance on some of the other
parameters in the Reverb Settings.....

PREDELAY :
I have seen debates on if this should be close to 0.0 predelay for drums

or as
high as 30 milliseconds to seperate drum "smack" from reverb sound.
Also the parameter....
EARLY REFLECTION DELAY:
Have no idea about where to set this ?
thanks

Just remember that there aren't any "laws" on how to set a reverb for any
rock drums, it all depends on the context. People can give you their
opinions which are usually something that has worked well for them in many
situations, but no-one can give a "right" answer.
Anyway, what kind of rock drums are you mixing? Are the songs mid-tempo, or
something like punk rock speed?
If the songs are fast, it often helps to gate the reverb tail away,
otherwise the snare hits(that are treated with reverb) take up too much
space in the mix.
Also, it's best to adjust the predelay by ear. A good starting point could
be like 20ms, then adjust it from there until you've found something that
pleases you. Don't tweak the drum sounds too long in the "solo" mode, it's
too easy to get carried away adjusting a bunch of reverb parameters for the
snare when listening to it in solo, always check that it fits in the context
of the whole song. Good luck!

BlacklineMusic

**** all the rules or given predelays. Where do the drums fit in the mix? Are
they in your face and wide as hell? Are they deep and back and have lots of
depth as if they were on a distant stage? Drum depth varies per song. And
mostly I like to make sure things sound natural. If you are going to use any
verb at all, don't use a lot, and use a very natural room patch. My last mix I
added a touch of a real studio room to the drums via SIR impulse verb, and then
a touch to the snare and toms. Compressed it all a bit, and wham. A very
natural sounding deep drum sound. Usually, a bit of room mics with the bottom
rolled off, compressed about five to ten db with a fast attack will do the
trick.