Ryan Mitchley

Default Piano on Peter Gabriel's Up

Someone please go and listen to the piano sound on the last track of "Up",
and tell me what you'd do, from room/mic onwards, to get that *exact* sound
.. . .

It really is the best piano sound I have heard in ages (okay it's slightly
processed, not exactly solo classical material . . .)

Ryan

LeBaron & Alrich

Ryan Mitchley wrote:

Someone please go and listen to the piano sound on the last track of "Up",
and tell me what you'd do, from room/mic onwards, to get that *exact* sound

I'd hire that room, that player, that engineer.

--
hank alrich * secret mountain
audio recording * music production * sound reinforcement
Gern Blanston

Peter does not own a traditional acoustic piano. He says he doesn't
have the room. In one of the smaller control room, he has a Yamaha
CP-70. You can really here that on most of his recordings. He always
runs it through a Roland Diminsion D. I would think that by now, he
is using a sample player of some kind probably a dedicated Gigastudio
setup.

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 11:25:34 +0200, "Ryan Mitchley"
wrote:

Someone please go and listen to the piano sound on the last track of "Up",
and tell me what you'd do, from room/mic onwards, to get that *exact* sound
. . .

It really is the best piano sound I have heard in ages (okay it's slightly
processed, not exactly solo classical material . . .)

Ryan

Don Cooper

Gern Blanston wrote:

Peter does not own a traditional acoustic piano. He says he doesn't
have the room.

That's funny, considering his studio looks huge in photos.

Don
Nathan West

He is putting the interviewer on...he has said numerous times that he
prefers the manipulations of electronics.

Don Cooper wrote:

Gern Blanston wrote:

Peter does not own a traditional acoustic piano. He says he doesn't
have the room.

That's funny, considering his studio looks huge in photos.

Don

--
Regards,

Nathan West
Riverwest Entertainment

"Sincerity is everything...if you can fake it
than you've got it made."

Bill Briare

Peter Gabriel uses a Bosendorfer piano on UP. He uses a variety of custom
pre-amps and an assortment of mics. I'm not familiar with what he used to
mic the piano on 'The Drop' track.
The equipment list for his Real World Studio can be found at:

http://www.realworld.co.uk/studios/

m...