Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] rhett.morson@gmail.com is offline

Default usb dac - length of cable

im considering Bel Canto e.One S300iu integrated amplifier

....playing lossless files from itunes

Any PC would be a distance from the stereo, so im looking at a decent
length of usb cable

is this a problem?
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] rhett.morson@gmail.com is offline

additionally...

Im currently using airport express and WAS going to use the toslink
optical output, but i keep reading everywhere that USB DAC is
better...

I also read that USB cables should not be longer than 5m

Im wondering about this work-around: somehow send the data from the PC
via ethernet to the AE (I dont know how to do this, by the way) and
then use the USB connection from the AE to the DAC

Im guessing this would solve the distance of cable issue, because
ethernet can handle lengths

any ideas?

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

wrote in message

im considering Bel Canto e.One S300iu integrated amplifier

...playing lossless files from itunes

Any PC would be a distance from the stereo, so im looking
at a decent length of usb cable

There are such things as USB line extenders. They have ranges of up to 150
feet, perhaps more. Some are based on using CAT-5 (computer network) cable.

Search google for "USB line extender" (but don't use the quotes when you
search).

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] rhett.morson@gmail.com is offline

thanks,

what do you think is the best way to get the data to the DAC?

1. wireless transmission to AE, toslink to DAC (doesnt fit with above
amp, but Im not locked into that amp)
2. wireless transmission to AE, USB out to above amp (is this
possible?, there is a USB thing on the AE, but never read anyone using
it for itunes out to DAC)
3. wired tranmission via Ethernet to DAC with that input (I read that
there is a $20k DAC using ethernet! Linn?)
4. wired tranmission via USB (just use extenders, Im assuming this is
ok - no loss)
5. wired transmission via ethernet to AE, then USB out to DAC (dont
know if possible)
6. some other method!

thanks

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
bob bob is offline

On Jul 23, 9:59*pm, wrote:
thanks,

what do you think is the best way to get the data to the DAC?

1. wireless transmission to AE, toslink to DAC (doesnt fit with above
amp, but Im not locked into that amp)

That would work well. If you're going to a DAC, why is the amp an
issue?

2. wireless transmission to AE, USB out to above amp (is this
possible?, there is a USB thing on the AE, but never read anyone using
it for itunes out to DAC)

No can do. The USB port on the AE is for a printer. Won't do audio out
(or in).

3. wired tranmission via Ethernet to DAC with that input (I read that
there is a $20k DAC using ethernet! Linn?)

This would also work; can't help you on which DACs support Ethernet.

4. wired tranmission via USB (just use extenders, Im assuming this is
ok - no loss)

USB from computer to DAC, you mean? Again, assuming the DAC has USB
input. If you mean USB from computer to AE, no--see above.

5. wired transmission via ethernet to AE, then USB out to DAC (dont
know if possible)

Not possible. In fact, neither half is possible,

6. some other method!

The other option would be wireless to the AE, and then analog to the
amp. The only weakness of the AE is high jitter--probably not high
enough to be audible, but far higher than is typical of CD players.
Going optical to a DAC solves the jitter problem.

So that's 3.5 options:

1) Wireless to AE, then analog to amp.
2) Wireless to AE, then optical to DAC.
3) Wired (Ethernet/USB) direct to DAC.

The choice between 2 and 3 comes down to whether you want to go
wireless or not. Sound quality will be identical. #1 is the way to go
if you don't want an external DAC.

bob
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] rhett.morson@gmail.com is offline

food for thought...

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/node/418#comments
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] rhett.morson@gmail.com is offline

thanks Bob,

I read that using the AE wireless compromises the data due to...

"First, it is important to note what the AE doesn't do. Whether you
own a PC or a Mac, the AE works only with iTunes v4.6 or later and is
limited to music files that iTunes can read; ie, 16-bit data only.
These data, though, can be in any file format that iTunes recognizes,
from lossy MP3s at the low-quality end of the spectrum to Apple
Lossless and lossless AIF or WAV files at the high end. It is also
important to note that the AE functions only at a 44.1kHz sample rate.
When you play 32kHz or 48kHz data, iTunes sample-rate-converts the
data in real time before sending it to the AE. I tried using the
Nicecast utility for OSX ($40) to feed iTunes with 24-bit data and
88.2kHz data from the inexpensive but excellent Amadeus audio-editing
program for OSX. High-speed files were played back at half speed and
hi-rez data were truncated to 16 bits, according to RME's useful
DigiCheck utility for the PC. " from http://www.stereophile.com/digitalprocessors/505apple/

so thats where im getting the idea that bypassing the AE altogether is
the way to go (also I read that USB is superior to toslink)

it therefore seems the best options are ethernet out to DAC (if you
can find one) or to something like slim devices, or USB out to DAC
(like the amp I mentioned at the top of the thread - USB DAC included
in the AMP)

I also stumbled across a webite called computer audiophile which was a
good source of info

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
bob bob is offline

On Jul 24, 6:52*pm, wrote:
food for thought...

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/node/418#comments

Then you need better thoughts. I know nothing about that product, but
if the review is accurate it is a piece of crap. And you couldn't
connect it to your AE anyway.

BTW, I've seen no evidence that the guy who writes www.computeraudiophile.com
know the first thing about audio. He is a gullible cheerleader for all
manner of high-end foolery. This review is representative of his work.

bob

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
bob bob is offline

On Jul 24, 9:27*pm, wrote:
[...]

But all this matters only if you have data other than 16-bit. For 16-
bit data--including, I'll bet, the lossless files you have--that same
analysis shows that AE is quite capable, the jitter issue aside.

so thats where im getting the idea that bypassing the AE altogether is
the way to go (also I read that USB is superior to toslink)

Why would USB be superior to Toslink? They're just two ways to carry
bits; both work.

it therefore seems the best options are ethernet out to DAC (if you
can find one) or to something like slim devices, or USB out to DAC
(like the amp I mentioned at the top of the thread - USB DAC included
in the AMP)

I also stumbled across a webite called computer audiophile which was a
good source of info

Not in my book, it's not.

bob

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 21:01:21 -0700, bob wrote
(in article ):

On Jul 24, 9:27*pm, wrote:
[...]

For some reason, TOSLINK got a bad reputation from audiophiles early-on. It
was reported somewhere (TAS, I think) that TOSLINK wasn't good enough for
audio and that glass fiber was somehow better sounding. I don't see how this
is possible given the fact that the bandwidth of the light used in fiber
optics (glass or plastic) is so great that a single TOSLINK strand could
carry scores (maybe hundreds) of multiplexed audio streams at once. Anyhow,
once it had attained the legitimacy of the printed word, it took on the
finality of Gospel. Soon, very high-end DAC and transport manufacturers were
equipping their boxes with ONLY industrial-grade glass fiber connectors and
were eschewing TOSLINK altogether. Frankly, I've never noticed a difference
and, indeed, there's not really any way that there could be a difference.
That TOSLINK is inferior is just another audio-nut urban myth.

Cable Length rcs3 High End Audio 13 July 28th 06 10:24 PM
Longest Length for RCA Cable? Andy Yee Tech 18 November 28th 05 03:47 AM
max. length of a line-out cable Markus Nerf Tech 7 May 17th 05 11:30 PM
Cable length = pro gig Carey Carlan Pro Audio 9 November 24th 04 06:39 AM
Cable length = pro gig Carey Carlan Pro Audio 0 November 19th 04 03:37 PM